USMLE TIMELINE for IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrChemistry

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When is the best time to take the USMLE step 1. Im an IMG int he caribbean doing 5 yr MBBS program. When to start studying and all that?
Any IMG experiences??

Imput would be appreciated.:)

Members don't see this ad.

When is the best time to take the USMLE step 1. Im an IMG int he caribbean doing 5 yr MBBS program. When to start studying and all that?
Any IMG experiences??

Imput would be appreciated.:)
Start studying from the get go. Make sure you get your hands on Gojlan audiofiles and other educational videos. Then supplement the material in class with those. Also, start seeing a lot of different questions from as many sources as are available. This might be a good starting point. But pass all of your classes in succession, first and foremost.

hey im looking for this info too...im a third year doing a 5 year program in india......did u find a timeline/when do u plan on taking ur steps?

Members don't see this ad :)
the best time to take STEP1 would be right after basic sciences when it is still fresh in memory so I am guessing at the end of 2nd year of an MBBS program?
step 2 would be ideally taken after clinical years

MBBS programs vary region to region.. some have basic scineces in the first three years, some have basic sciences in the first two years.. and some Indian/Pakistani programs teach it througout the first four years, e.g. I know that in one of the MBBS schools, Systemic Pathology was taught in the fourth year...

However most of the Carribean School Systems are M.D. programs in which the first two years are just hard core basic sciences and from what you have posted above you said you are in the Carribean School System.

You are basically looking to cover the following subjects:

anat, biochem, histology, embryology, microbiology, immunology, pharmacology, pathology, Beh Sci.

You apply for step 1 via ecfmg and then have to get your medical school to sign off that you have completed those subjects and can give step 1. Once thats done you can give the exam.. Regardless of which system you are in.. concentrate on pathology (as I have been advised by my fellow SDNers! :bow: !!) alot and then physiology and pharmac other subjects as well.. basically the 3Ps

Search around for which books are best to read while you are in your medical school years AND MAKE SURE YOU READ THEM and make sure your pace matches with the speed your lectures aer going.. if you attack it early, you won't have to pay for it later...

those are my two cents!

Last edited: