USMLE Videos

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the prodogy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if I should get the Kaplan videos. It's filled with hours of information, but I dont even know if I can go through all those videos. I think that it may just be too much.

For those that have used the videos, did you watch all of it? Were they all helpful? Also, is there a schedule that will keep me on track of how much I should watch each day?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Biochem, Behavioural and Pharm is gold, I would recommend it.
watching pathology however is a big waste of time, so is micro!
I watch these at 1.5-2X speed, so time is not a bid deal.
Specially biochem and pharm highlight high yield points very clearly and they will get you the points, Im convinced.

Thanks! I'll start off with those videos then.

Anyone else have any success watching any of the other videos?

I disagree: I think Micro is pretty good. I also think the Immuno is pretty good.

Members don't see this ad :)
I disagree: I think Micro is pretty good. I also think the Immuno is pretty good.

Im assuming you are at the beginning of your prep, cause at the beginning I though Immuno was good but I read about inflammation a little more in Robbins and realised that the fat kaplan lady (sorry, frustration talking out of me!) had confused me and there was more to it than in her version.
for example: Inflammation - Rolling (her version): is initiated by E-Selectins on endothelium binding to Mucin-like CAM on leukocyte!
Robbins:
E-Selectin on endothelium binds to Sialyl-Lewis x-modified proteins on leukocytes
L-Selectin (L for Leukocyte) on Leukocyte binds to GlyCam-1 (also called CD34)
why not name the child by its name?
can I remember these details and do I want to remember it for the steps? yes!
nonetheless, depends what you are aiming for, it might be enough for you.

What source do you recommend for immuno then? Seems like the chapter in Big Robbins is overkill, but maybe not? I also take it you didn't like the micro then?

And yes, I am at the beginning of my prep. I am aiming for 240+ so any help would be appreciated!

What source do you recommend for immuno then? Seems like the chapter in Big Robbins is overkill, but maybe not? I also take it you didn't like the micro then?

And yes, I am at the beginning of my prep. I am aiming for 240+ so any help would be appreciated!

I agree, Big Robbins is a lot but I think Inflammation is too important, involved in so many pathologies, to be done superficially. Ive not done the entire chapter in robbins, just the bit on acute inflammation (a few pages) as a lot of questions were unanswered. I had looked in BRS path and RR and for once BRS made more sense than RR. BRS is the next best thing to Robbins in that chapter I would say.
but if you are aiming for 240+ you should be ok with kaplan.
I had done micro from Micro made rid. easy and after watching 3-4 clips decided kaplan micro is too time consuming.

I agree, Big Robbins is a lot but I think Inflammation is too important, involved in so many pathologies, to be done superficially. Ive not done the entire chapter in robbins, just the bit on acute inflammation (a few pages) as a lot of questions were unanswered. I had looked in BRS path and RR and for once BRS made more sense than RR. BRS is the next best thing to Robbins in that chapter I would say.
but if you are aiming for 240+ you should be ok with kaplan.
I had done micro from Micro made rid. easy and after watching 3-4 clips decided kaplan micro is too time consuming.

Inflamation is important, but isn't it normally taught in pathology, rather than immunology? Kaplan Pathology Lecture Notes has the exact table that is in Robbins PBOD in the "Inflammation" section and there's a ~30 min discussion about it in the pathology videos.

I don't have BRS Pathology, but in what aspects do you think BRS is better than RR for this section? RR seemed like an excellent summary of Robbins to me.

Finally, what resources are you using and what score are you aiming for? I've been using Kaplan LN (+RR Pathology and BRS Physiology), but I'm aiming for a score higher than 240. Do you have other resources in mind?

Inflamation is important, but isn't it normally taught in pathology, rather than immunology? Kaplan Pathology Lecture Notes has the exact table that is in Robbins PBOD in the "Inflammation" section and there's a ~30 min discussion about it in the pathology videos.

I don't have BRS Pathology, but in what aspects do you think BRS is better than RR for this section? RR seemed like an excellent summary of Robbins to me.

Finally, what resources are you using and what score are you aiming for? I've been using Kaplan LN (+RR Pathology and BRS Physiology), but I'm aiming for a score higher than 240. Do you have other resources in mind?

very true but I dont use Kaplan LNs for path, I do have them but I dont think they are that great, so I missed that table then. and yes, I watched that 30min clip but I still had unanswered questions, RR didnt help me here as the information is there, but it is not presented coherently, like: cellular processes, adhesion molecules on different cells, mediators...I love this outline in most of the RR chapters, but it wasnt good in this chapter and BRS links this stuff better together. other than that BRS is not that great if you are aiming high.

and what I am aiming for, I better leave in the dark as it would lead to unnecessary ridicule from randomers...but yeah, like you higher than 240.
I focus mainly on RR and the bigger costanzo physio book, I also used RR biochem but honestly, kaplan biochem videos were pretty good and as I mentioned, Micro MRS was helpful (a lot of help to memorize minutia). I also watched most PASS program videos, gave me a different perspective and I gained a lot in terms of dealing with questions where you cant figure out the answer, however in terms of knowledge these videos were inferior if you compare with KAPLAN.
but knowing BRS physio cold and RR (most details) sets you pretty much up for a stellar score. a run through Kaplan LNs is good but can you keep that stuff in your memory?