USMLE World and step 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wjm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I know this may be a topic for "scores" but since I haven't taken my exam yet I decided to post it here. I originally signed up to take my test on the 15th of August. But because they HAD to drop 2 questions from each block and redo the test starting Aug 10th, I decided to take it earlier and get it over with on the 8th (they say the ones who take the test after the 10th wont receive their scores until Oct7 !!). As the day is approaching, I feel like I am starting to forget more things and am getting worried.

So here's my question. I've been doing the Qbank from USMLEworld, started with really high and really low scores from 40s to 70s. Finally I've evened out in the low/mid 60s. My overall score so far (81% complete) is 61%, all timed, unused and most of them 46q blocks. My latest 6 set of 46 questions is 64%. Plugging it into this website http://www.medfriends.org/step2_estimator/index.htm, it's around a 230.. But how reliable are the estimates from the website?

Do you guys think I am ready to take this test on the 8th or should I just take it much later (say around the end of August)? I am hoping to get around a 230-240.

Also I heard that the USMLEworld self assessment frequently "underestimates" the actual score. Is that really true? I was going to take it this Thursday and if I didn't get an estimate of what I am hoping for, I was going to postpone my exam..

Any inputs would be greatly appreciated. Sorry about the novel and thanks so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey wjm, what are you applying for and what is your step 1? If you did well on step 1 and are ok to do about the same, I would say you are probably set for a decent score, but then again I know only what I see on medfriends calculator and have read here/heard from friends. I am taking it on Aug 7 and have finished 74% of UW with a 58% overall avg and last 6 tests currently at 63% (all timed, unused but on tutor mode). I am working from how I had my rotations though, So I have only done all of IM including Neuro (jeez that was a liot of questions!) and 1/2 of peds. So if I had to guess I'd imagine I'll be up around where you are at 61% as I get to more recent subjects (I hope). Anyhow, I'm sick of studying already and want to finish this beast, plus I don't want a score delay, so not much choice here. I won't take a practice exam as it won't "change my management" anyhow and will only produce stress.

Ha, if you must ask. I barely passed step 1 with a 192. I almost wish I hadn't so I could retake it. I am not sure how relevant the score will be now because I took it back in 2006 when I was doing research (dual degree). I thought I was going into research and studied about 2 weeks (maybe less). did the Kaplan Qbank (that was the Qbank to use back then). Got through about 200Q with ~50% avg maybe higher but not much higher. Half ass read first aid (got through the whole thing). I really regret not putting much effort into it but that's in the past.

As far as what I am going into, I'm trying for Neuro. We'll see how it works out.

Anyway, what are you trying to go into and has your USMLEWorld scores and your step 1 correlated pretty well to that website?

Yes I agree with you. I hate going through the questions. I'm really putting in some good effort into step 2. I'm actually doing 46Q per day, reviewing the 46 from the previous day while taking some notes on things I never heard of (which aparently is a lot). I'm not sure if I can get through the whole thing but we'll see. I'll come real close. You probably will bring up your average towards the end. It does get tougher though. It took me about 10 sets of 46Q to get from 60 to 61... Dumb buffers....

We should keep in touch. After my self assessment on Thursday, I'll let you know what I got and how I'm freaking out.