USMLE World score question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

owenmichael

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a few days away and definitely nervous!
I just had a question/concern about my USMLE world progression

Has anyone been all over the place with world. My score sequence makes me thing wtf... do I have huge gaps in my knowledge base? Over the last two weeks (sets of 48, untimed, unused, random): 77, 66, 75 66, 66, 72, 79, 66, 81

I bailed on qbank midway through study period after I was hitting consistent mid 70's because I felt like world would teach me more. I just feel a little nervous going into the real thing not being consistent with World.

Anyone have similar experience going into the test?? It's hard when you don't know what you don't know!!

Is there a legit "score converter" available somwhere for world?

Members don't see this ad.

this is certainly the situation im in as well. recently im scoring around and above 70 but then all of a sudden i get a 64 and 66 then back up. so dont worry im 100% sure this is normal. why dont u tell us about ur nbme scores, then we'll know where u stand much better.

I have been ALLLLL over the place with my scores - I honestly think it has to do with alot of things - for one, although this is terrible to admit, when I'm doing test questions - it's not test day - so I somewhat blaze through them - even if you take them very seriously, its alot easier to just click something b/c it doesn't count yet - so keep that in mind - two, remember, it's relative to the average - I mean while I have been all over the place with my scores, the averages of all people taking them on the questions I've done have ranged as well, from 48% to 63% - they key is how you're doing relative to the average - also remember that there are indeed many people who are consistenly in the 60s that do extremely well on Step 1 - as many will say here, its more a learning tool than anything else - for me, I feel like it's kind of a way to remember why I'm studying so much -b/c at the end, for 336 q's, I have to click away - and finally, I've heard so many things about this test - how people who were even averaging in the 70s walked out feeling like they got hit by a mack truck - just remember its going to be hard, and the test is alot more of lgoic now than just wrote memorization - the key is to think that with scores like the ones you have, you've set yourself up wiht a good knowledge base and that's all you can you ask for going into the exam...

sorry for the long response - its just I have had the same question in my head before, and have posted similar questions - and with my test now 6 days away, this is what I've learned from talking to others on this board.

this is certainly the situation im in as well. recently im scoring around and above 70 but then all of a sudden i get a 64 and 66 then back up. so dont worry im 100% sure this is normal. why dont u tell us about ur nbme scores, then we'll know where u stand much better.

Thanks for the quick replies. Yeh I get concerned anytime I drop back into the 60's. It's just really hard to tell what is "good" for USMLE World. anyone else that has taken the exam that can speak to what their last round of world scores translated too on the real thing?

I took NBME 5 a week 1/2 ago and pulled a 232. I was pretty disappointed as my kaplan overall average (not even the average of my most recent tests, just overall) prior to the test translates to a 242. I thought NBME 5 was half easy, and half pretty tough....

Members don't see this ad :)
you're good bro - if you're pulling a 232 on nbme's, you've put yourself in great shape do to from significantly above average, to out of this world - I mean really, what more can you ask of yourself - ya know? :)

i read on here somewhere that people were using:

84 + (score percent as integer) x 2.4

i'm pretty sure that's what people were using. It may work in the mid range of scores, but seems to be off when the scores get higher. I remember quite a few people saying that it predicted their score with in a point or two. I also remember them not saying their score. i didn't take any of the nbme practice exams, so i was quite interested in a score converter.

I am supposed to get my score back in a few days. If you want i could post my UW average for the last 300 questions and my official score.

i read on here somewhere that people were using:

84 + (score percent as integer) x 2.4
Oh, those pesky brackets! Let's try this:

84 + [(score percent as integer) x 2.4]

I was getting all excited about my 350+ USMLE prediction! :laugh: