Usmle World

Discussion in 'Step I' started by jtre506, May 13, 2008.

1. jtre506

jtre506 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Just broke 65 percent with 1000 questions to go, what are my odds of passing/ good score / great score.
    thanks...
    anyone else doing these questions?
    If so talk about your experience and your scores
    thanks

2. SOUNDMAN

SOUNDMAN Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    See the results thread and see how they compared to score...you are on your way it would appear.

3. lankysudanese

lankysudanese antibiotics fetish
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    depends on how many questions you have already done, and if you took the tests in subject-based Vs randomly-chosen, or timed Vs tutor.
    take a look at the score threads and the exam/prep experiences, and you will find a lot of useful information.

Good Luck

4. alpha06

alpha06 Senior Member
    Bronze Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Just started (<10% in)....my scores range from 50-56%. Random (excluding biochem, micro, and pharm) and timed, unused.

5. jtre506

jtre506 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Im doing all subjects and all questions timed

6. jtre506

jtre506 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

when are you taking you exam?

7. rb10

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    nice work!

after going through UW well - using it to learn, rather than simply test - is it better to do UW again on random - or get another bank>?

thoughts?

8. RussianJoo

RussianJoo Useless Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    is 65% your cumulative average? I had a cumulative average of 62% with 14% of the question bank left and I ended up with a 227/95 just like most others i did unused, all subjects 50 question blocks timed. I have heard that if your average is above 60% you'll break 220/90.

9. alpha06

alpha06 Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Was this only going thru it once?.....I figure if you have repeat questions that your percentage would naturally go higher....

10. alpha06

alpha06 Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    June 26

11. DwyaneWade

DwyaneWade Reiging *** Cynic
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I have no clue...I am about halfway through and my average is 82% so I am feeling pretty good.

12. alpha06

alpha06 Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    WOW! :eek: Your average is phenomenal!

If what you are saying is true, you are going to kill the boards!!

13. DwyaneWade

DwyaneWade Reiging *** Cynic
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks, that's where I started almost 2 weeks ago (80%) and I've been ranging between 74-90%

14. InternationlDoc

InternationlDoc Imported like a Ferrari
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think it takes a bit used to. I really think there is a hypothetical threshold that you'll break and suddenly your scores will jump (assuming you study and rectify mistakes, consolidate concepts etc)

for me so far:
    first 200 questions (random 25, unused, timed) = 72%; Last 275 = 78%-90% ish

avg = 80%

btw, I took pathology shelf couple of days ago and it was a joke compared to UW pathology. UWorld is awesome. NBME seems to love inflammation, mediators etc.

15. rb10

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    anyone?

also, when you all are using UW, how are you reviewing the answers? a quick look at what you got right and wrong, or did you all use the explanations as a way to master the various concepts?

overfiend06 - I think the key is in spending the time reviewing all the questions, not just the ones you missing. Someone is getting 80% in UW off the bat probably will score well on the real thing. But if you arent then the explanations can be a good way to master the key concepts you might be missing. And there is a lot to be learned by looking at the other answer choices and thinking about why those are not the answer...basically, I wouldn't get discouraged with a "lower" UW average right away --- just my two cents.

16. Brain

Brain Taking over the world
    5+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    You'll probably find multiple opinions on this. Personally, I find that when I re-do questions I've done before, I'll pick the right answer because I inadvertently memorized it. Thus, I plan on moving to UW after I finish up the qBank this week. This way I get a fresh set of questions to really test what I've learned. It's an extra expense, but I figure it'll be worth it in the long run.

17. osli

osli Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yeah... and not just mixed opinions from various forum members, but mixed opinions within a single member. :laugh:

I'm wondering the same thing. I did about 1500 of the Kaplan questions Dec-March after winning their 3-month SDN giveaway, but that was before any board prep and before I had even finished a lot of the relevant course material. Now I'm using UWorld for serious board prep and wondering where to go when I've finished it.

I'm going through it at a pretty quick pace and still haven't dug into the meat of my board prep (I'm going slowly through a few known weak areas first, so I'm missing a lot of "easy" questions that I had simply forgot from classes and would have remembered after a quick read through FA or a relevant review book). Thus, I think I'll go through all of UWorld again when I'm done - probably missed and marked questions first, then perhaps straight through on tutor mode to make sure I actually understand all of the questions. But I do wonder if the time would be better spent going back to Kaplan or another question source. For now, I'm thinking that if I actually understood every one of the 2000 or so UWorld questions, I'd have to be in pretty good shape for boards.

18. alpha06

alpha06 Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    This is a tough call. If you feel you reviewed UW well, then I don't think there would be a need to do it again on random. Unless you are still missing those Qs you missed before.

I had kaplan before and went thru most of it and decided to go with another qbank because I wanted a fresh set of Qs.

As to my approach to Qs and explanations, I touched on it here:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6642397&postcount=9

And I don't usually read each explanation because since I do random, I figure when I get to that specific topic I will have reviewed it then. But I just keep a mental note that I need to focus on this area if I see that I am missing more than a few questions on it.

Its a bummer getting low percentages now, but I figure I'll raise those scores the deeper I go into my studies.....so no worries....yet.

19. rb10

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    That's what Im hoping for!

So Im not sure how much value can be put into stats like "I have heard that if your average is above 60% you'll break 220/90." (no offense RussianJoo) - because, it all depends on how one uses the bank and, again, how one learns.

Also, I think Lanky gave a good answer here:
    http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=522236

Now Im thinking qbank and not UW redo. Let's see what happens... !

20. alpha06

alpha06 Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    What was your approach doing the Qs and reviewing the explanations?

sorry if you've been asked this already...