Step I USMLE World

Started by USArmyDoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

USArmyDoc

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

I have a question regarding USMLE world. I have been doing questions timed and all subjects at once. I started out around 65% (luck i guess) then I dropped down to an overall 47% as of right now. I expected to drop because I feel like I started out wayyy to high...like I alluded to above..I believe a good amount of it was picking and choosing what I was good at.

Anyway, when do you start seeing improvment? I am afraid I'll be stuck in the 45 to 54 percentile. Shouldn't I see a steady climb instead of an up and down trend?

Thanks again
 
I'm feeing pretty similarly about USMLE World - I'm about 2.5 weeks to my exam date and I'm averaging between a 58%-64% on the tests, 50?s random. I know I shouldn't be focusing so much on my scores as much as learning from the questions but I'm kind of freaking out. Any advice?
 
I hear ya....I just did a freaking test and got a 54%. I feel like that is pretty good (at least for me). I am not the usual genius here on SDN. I just hope I can get to ~50-55%.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

I have a question regarding USMLE world. I have been doing questions timed and all subjects at once. I started out around 65% (luck i guess) then I dropped down to an overall 47% as of right now. I expected to drop because I feel like I started out wayyy to high...like I alluded to above..I believe a good amount of it was picking and choosing what I was good at.

Anyway, when do you start seeing improvment? I am afraid I'll be stuck in the 45 to 54 percentile. Shouldn't I see a steady climb instead of an up and down trend?

Thanks again


Technically yeah, but I wouldn't worry about it as long as you keep studying. Man, I think I have the lowest % on UW on SDN..a whopping 46% and I'm half done. Of course, I started before I was really studying and I've been goin over stuff that it is not the highest yield right now (i.e. Behav Sci, Biochem, Anatomy, Neuro). So, I do know that I'm not good on the 3 most impt subjects, the 3 Ps of course. Which is why I'm moving on to those tomorrow, cuz not a lot of time! Plus, we're going over so much material right now, expect to miss some questions you got right a week ago just because it's been squeezed out of your head from the onslaught of new material you're bringin in. Keep your head up, and keep doin questions.
 
Yeah, I second the recommendation to take the NBME exams or UWorld assessment to see if you're making progress. My UWorld scores have dropped about 5% since I began(I've completed about 60% now), but my NBME scores and UWorld assessment score have shown a steady improvement. If you're learning from the questions, then you shouldn't get down, because that's where the real improvements come from. I tend to review questions I get wrong in depth and just glance at the explanations of questions I get right. So, now I'm reviewing more questions in depth. Think of the extra questions wrong per block as more opportunities to solidify your understanding.
 
I just feel that its so variable. I'll knock a 60-65% then I'll go down to a damn 40-48%. Is there a set % that should predict if you are doing well. I have heard 60% is very very good. If that is the case, I am not in such bad shape.
 
I just feel that its so variable. I'll knock a 60-65% then I'll go down to a damn 40-48%. Is there a set % that should predict if you are doing well. I have heard 60% is very very good. If that is the case, I am not in such bad shape.

Yo G,

Forget about that percentage, learn what you don't know even from the wrong answers, then take a self-diagnostic to see how you really stand.

UW is such a poor predictor of your actual score they have come up with their own self diagnostic exam apart from their Qbank.