USMLE World

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USArmyDoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a question regarding USMLE world. I have been doing questions timed and all subjects at once. I started out around 65% (luck i guess) then I dropped down to an overall 47% as of right now. I expected to drop because I feel like I started out wayyy to high...like I alluded to above..I believe a good amount of it was picking and choosing what I was good at.

Anyway, when do you start seeing improvment? I am afraid I'll be stuck in the 45 to 54 percentile. Shouldn't I see a steady climb instead of an up and down trend?

Thanks again

Members don't see this ad.

I'm feeing pretty similarly about USMLE World - I'm about 2.5 weeks to my exam date and I'm averaging between a 58%-64% on the tests, 50?s random. I know I shouldn't be focusing so much on my scores as much as learning from the questions but I'm kind of freaking out. Any advice?

I hear ya....I just did a freaking test and got a 54%. I feel like that is pretty good (at least for me). I am not the usual genius here on SDN. I just hope I can get to ~50-55%.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I have a question regarding USMLE world. I have been doing questions timed and all subjects at once. I started out around 65% (luck i guess) then I dropped down to an overall 47% as of right now. I expected to drop because I feel like I started out wayyy to high...like I alluded to above..I believe a good amount of it was picking and choosing what I was good at.

Anyway, when do you start seeing improvment? I am afraid I'll be stuck in the 45 to 54 percentile. Shouldn't I see a steady climb instead of an up and down trend?

Thanks again

Technically yeah, but I wouldn't worry about it as long as you keep studying. Man, I think I have the lowest % on UW on SDN..a whopping 46% and I'm half done. Of course, I started before I was really studying and I've been goin over stuff that it is not the highest yield right now (i.e. Behav Sci, Biochem, Anatomy, Neuro). So, I do know that I'm not good on the 3 most impt subjects, the 3 Ps of course. Which is why I'm moving on to those tomorrow, cuz not a lot of time! Plus, we're going over so much material right now, expect to miss some questions you got right a week ago just because it's been squeezed out of your head from the onslaught of new material you're bringin in. Keep your head up, and keep doin questions.

Yeah, I second the recommendation to take the NBME exams or UWorld assessment to see if you're making progress. My UWorld scores have dropped about 5% since I began(I've completed about 60% now), but my NBME scores and UWorld assessment score have shown a steady improvement. If you're learning from the questions, then you shouldn't get down, because that's where the real improvements come from. I tend to review questions I get wrong in depth and just glance at the explanations of questions I get right. So, now I'm reviewing more questions in depth. Think of the extra questions wrong per block as more opportunities to solidify your understanding.

I just feel that its so variable. I'll knock a 60-65% then I'll go down to a damn 40-48%. Is there a set % that should predict if you are doing well. I have heard 60% is very very good. If that is the case, I am not in such bad shape.

I just feel that its so variable. I'll knock a 60-65% then I'll go down to a damn 40-48%. Is there a set % that should predict if you are doing well. I have heard 60% is very very good. If that is the case, I am not in such bad shape.

Yo G,

Forget about that percentage, learn what you don't know even from the wrong answers, then take a self-diagnostic to see how you really stand.

UW is such a poor predictor of your actual score they have come up with their own self diagnostic exam apart from their Qbank.