Usmle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daja

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am a medical student in Germany and am thinking about taking the USMLE. Can you tell me if it is the same exam that the American students take and after how many years do you take each step?
Also I would like to know how much time of studying is necessary, do you study with old exams, textbooks, in groups/alone?

I am thankful for any tips, since I know not much about the test itself yet!

Thanks,
Julia

P.S.: I am in my 3rd year of studying (clinical studies)

Members don't see this ad.

Yes it is the same test.

Step 1 - US students take after the 2nd year covering the "basic sciences".

Sterp 2 - US students take in their fourth year covering the basics of diagnosis and treatment.

step 3 - taken some time in residency covers management of patients (from what I have heard).

That is how it is done in the US. Since you are finishing up your third year, you could take step 1 and step 2 whenever you want. If you are seriously interested about coming to the US, study incredibly hard for them. There is a whole industry or review books and practice questions available. No there are no old tests out there. Studying in a group might be mildly helpful, but it basically comes down to being willing to spend 12-15 hours a day for 3-4 weeks memorizing "the little things" in order to do well.

The book "First Aid for USMLE Step 1" has lots of good advice for non-US medical students -- I would definitely suggest taking a look at it.

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you all for the information!
I have stupidly posted in two forums, but now I know better what I am looking at!

Does the First Aid have to be a newer version?

probably - it's my impression that the rules for FMG's change from time to time, so you would want the most current info possible (within a year or so). The actual exam review does not change that much from year to year so you don't need to go out every year and buy a new one but if you're going to spend the money, you might as well get a current edition -- First Aid is like the bible of Step 1 studying here in the US.

Amen to that

That book's great,but if possible, it's best to refer to the American Education Commision which the US might have at your country, you'll need to plan when to study etc as well