USMLE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone that takes the USMLE Step 1 exam prepares for it by using First Aid for Step 1.
The authors of that book acknowledge the similarities between the basic sciences of a Podiatry curriculum and that of an MD/DO. Which is why they include DPM students to use that same book to prepare for the APMLE Part 1. With the extra classes and review sessions, podiatry students will the best in line to tackle this exam due to these educational similarities.

View attachment 231876
Tell a podiatry student if they get competitive USMLE scores, then they will get similar salaries as F&A orthopedists, I can assure anyone, that some pods would be able to study hard and get good scores.

Without incentives, who would study for USMLE?

Even MD students with their all-inclusive curriculum have wide range of scores, hence competitiveness for certain specialties. Yet some MD students manage to fail. Apparently, the curicculum ia not everything. A lot depends on the person.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Tell a podiatry student if they get competitive USMLE scores, then they will get similar salaries as F&A orthopedists, I can assure anyone that some pods would be able to study hard and get good scores.

Without incentives, who would study for USMLE?

Even MD students with their all-inclusive curriculum have wide range of scores, hence competitiveness for certain specialties. Yet some MD students manage to fail. Apparently, the curicculum ia not everything. A lot depends on the person.

Even then, we KNOW we wouldn't make close to what they make. The case load, connections needed, and hospital support is not there to make that happen. I am sure a few podiatrists have pulled it off, but that is the minority, not the majority.

Reactions: 1 user
If podiatry students had to take it they could study for it just like other medical students. As stated, there is no point for us to take it as we are not trying to place into different residency programs. I would like to see a scoring system for the current exam though to help separate canidates when it comes to applying to residency programs since as of now, we only have our gpa as a score.

Reactions: 1 users