USMLEworld and Qbank?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mules05

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There's been a lot of threads about the merits of one question bank over another, but I can't seem to find anything about using the two together. Does anyone have experience using both, or would it just be a lot of overlap?

Members don't see this ad.

It seems like it would be alot to handle depending on how much study time you've got. I would suggest picking one and learning it really well.

There's been a lot of threads about the merits of one question bank over another, but I can't seem to find anything about using the two together. Does anyone have experience using both, or would it just be a lot of overlap?

I just gave the exam today. I had done both qbank (did 85% of it) and UW (did abt 80%), and only today did I realize how much I had learned from them. There were alota questions today on teh real thing that I just breezed through because of the concepts that had been drilled into my head by these two qbanks. Initially Kaplan qbank frustrated the crap outa me but now that i've given my test I realize how useful it was for me. Both are amazing learning tools. I had more qbank/UW concepts on my test today than goljan/any other source i could think of. So if you have the time i would recommend doing both. You don't have to learn/memorize em. Just do as many q's and go over your answers, and in the end you'll be amazed at how much info has been drilled into your head. Both are equally useful. My test was ALOT like UW though.

Members don't see this ad :)
its crazy...

after doing 100% of world, everything else just feels so smooth..

Its a very sophisticated approach those World people are doing. They write questions where you REALLY have to know something to get it right.. if you know it "so so" it aint gonna cut it, you will get it wrong. The question writers know exactly what they are doing. Its a lot like weight training. Doing pushups with a backpack full of weights its grueling, cruel and unusual but you do them without the weights its like a nice soft walk in the park.

I need to get back to the gym.. :rolleyes:

its crazy...

after doing 100% of world, everything else just feels so smooth..

Its a very sophisticated approach those World people are doing. They write questions where you REALLY have to know something to get it right.. if you know it "so so" it aint gonna cut it, you will get it wrong. The question writers know exactly what they are doing. Its a lot like weight training. Doing pushups with a backpack full of weights its grueling, cruel and unusual but you do them without the weights its like a nice soft walk in the park.

I need to get back to the gym.. :rolleyes:

Yep, I agree 100%. Excellent analogy, W4M, I'm starting to see my 6-pack abs, woohoo!!!!

i am doing all the questions I can get a hold of. Kaplan, smashstep1.com, usmlerx.com, Robbins Review -- questions that are similar to USMLE format. These types of exams are all about pattern recognition. It takes a while to recognize the pattern and assimilate all the information. The more questions you do, the better off you will be.. At least that is what I have been told by others who have scored well on their boards.....

Good Luck!!

i am doing all the questions I can get a hold of. Kaplan, smashstep1.com, usmlerx.com, Robbins Review -- questions that are similar to USMLE format. These types of exams are all about pattern recognition. It takes a while to recognize the pattern and assimilate all the information. The more questions you do, the better off you will be.. At least that is what I have been told by others who have scored well on their boards.....

Good Luck!!

yeah im wondering if i can get through qbank uworld and robbins questions

already far into qbank hopin to finish within the month!

Good Luck!!

Its truly strange.. after doing thousands upon thousands of questions something very weird happens... whenever you approach a question you're not sure of... your guess becomes the right answer...

i mean, dont rely on guessing.. but the reason you may have guessed something right is because you subconsciously knew the answer because it was drilled into some part of your brain 750 questions ago. Its quite a good feeling to actually make good guesses.

There is overlap, and there is always overlap in 3,000 question banks. Overlap is a good thing. Overlap=repetition=long term retention, at least for me.

Depends on how many questions you want to do though. I plan on doing as much as I can stomach, and i started kinda early, so I can use multiple banks. If you don't plan on getting through 6,000 or so questions, then just get one.

pinky thanks so much for your input!!!!!!! :) and gluck w/ the scores im sure u rocked it!
glad to help. I duno if i rocked it - I don't feel so hot about how I did on the real thing. Its all a blur. well all i can do is hope and pray.

I finished Kaplan a while ago. Now I am plowing through smashstep1.com. New site that I stumbled across. They advertise themselves as a supplemenatal source. They still have a few gliches in some of their questions, but the explanations are really good. I like doing hundreds and hundreds of questions from multiple different sources. Each source sort of has their own way of writing questions. Pattern recognition is key....