usmleworld on mac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MLEgurl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used USMLEWORLD on MAC recently? Some time ago people used it through the browser OMNIWEB. Before I try through that, I'd like to know if it still works and if anyone has tried it recently.

Members don't see this ad.

The makers of USMLEWorld have made several changes to the website to make it difficult to access via Mac. At one point, I was able to use Firefox with a free extension that caused the browser to masquerade as if it were IE5 on a PC. When this quit working, I switched to IE5 for Mac. For a while, it was possible to make a small change to the binary code to masquerade as IE5 for PC. However, that, too, eventually started malfunctioning, apparently due to further changes on the USMLEWorld website.

I haven't tried the OMNIWeb browser, but I'm skeptical that it would work, given that the hacks mentioned above no longer work.

Though I haven't tried it, Virtual PC probably would work. This is a program that turns your user-friendly Mac into a slow, unstable PC running IE5. This is an expensive approach but is unlikely to quit working due to changes to the USMLEWorld website.

By the way, the reason the makers of USMLEWorld disable access via Mac is because they are concerned about copyright violations due to copy-paste operations, which they are able to disable on the PC but not on Mac.

Hi AlienHand, Thanks a lot for your reply, especially your input on the reason for mac being incompatible with some sites. I do have the virtual PC and i tried it, but it makes my mac run like a turtle, so I gave up. Do you know why the virtual PC slows mac so much? I have about 5 GB free space.

MLEgurl said:
Hi AlienHand, Thanks a lot for your reply, especially your input on the reason for mac being incompatible with some sites. I do have the virtual PC and i tried it, but it makes my mac run like a turtle, so I gave up. Do you know why the virtual PC slows mac so much? I have about 5 GB free space.

More memory or a faster processor might help some, but unfortunately, emulators like Virtual PC are inherently slow. I don't think increasing the free space would help. Good luck.