USMLEworld?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

manning18

Hello,
I wanted peoples' opinions on the quality of questions offered by USMLEworld, aka UW. For example, how do the UW questions compare to the questions on the actual Step 2-CK exam, with regards to difficulty? What about length? What do people think of studying by using UW as one's ONLY source of preparation, and just referencing text/review books as needed? A friend of mine did that and scored very well, so I wanted others' opinions on this. Finally, what do people think of the "rule of thumb" used to convert between UW scores and one's score on the actual Step 2-CK exam?
The conversion is as follows: 2.3(UW percentage) + 84.
Thus, an average of 50% on UW would predict a score of 199 on Step 2. I've heard people say this formula is a bit generous and tends to over-estimate peoples' scores. Please comment. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

manning18 said:
Hello,
I wanted peoples' opinions on the quality of questions offered by USMLEworld, aka UW. For example, how do the UW questions compare to the questions on the actual Step 2-CK exam, with regards to difficulty? What about length? What do people think of studying by using UW as one's ONLY source of preparation, and just referencing text/review books as needed? A friend of mine did that and scored very well, so I wanted others' opinions on this. Finally, what do people think of the "rule of thumb" used to convert between UW scores and one's score on the actual Step 2-CK exam?
Thus, an average of 50% on UW would predict a score of 199 on Step 2. I've heard people say this formula is a bit generous and tends to over-estimate peoples' scores. Please comment. Thanks!

Oh no....we have a Colts fan ;)

I have a classmate that essentially did what you proposed.....UW as about 90% of study material and a quick flip through of Secrets. It worked for him (252/99) but this guy is a walking brain and got >90% on all of our shelf exams. Another classmate did the same thing and did very well. In fact she said she only used UW and went through all q's, but once again, she was also one of our better students. So, it seems as if you were very diligent with your studies through out med school, only UW should suffice. If you were a slacker like me (Marty McFly slacker like), you should get through B&W or Secrets a few times + UW. I take my exam in 2 weeks so I guess we'll see if I screwed myself by partying instead of studying these years :scared: .

Interesting conversion equation too......I've never heard of that one before.

I also hear that it helps being a Steeler fan too. Not too late to switch.....seems as if the whole world already has.

manning18 said:
Hello,

After finishing about 95% of the UW questions, my final average was 52% and I wound up with a 225 on step II. I read through Crush a few times and it was adequate for doing fairly well on the exam. The questions on the real thing were WAY EASIER than on the real thing. Frankly, I think I would have pushed 240 on CK had I studied stats and toxicology (had a ton of these questions). Anyway, my 2 cents.

Hi, thanks for your message. One of the lines in your message reads: "the questions on the real thing were WAY EASIER than on the real thing." I was hoping you could clarify this statement, as it seems to have been made in error. I have a hunch that you meant to say that the questions on the actual USMLE, Step 2-CK exam were much LESS DIFFICULT than those encountered in USMLEworld, but I was hoping you could clarify. Also, please share your thoughts regarding Crush vs. First Aid. Thank you!

manning18 said:
Hi, thanks for your message. One of the lines in your message reads: "the questions on the real thing were WAY EASIER than on the real thing." I was hoping you could clarify this statement, as it seems to have been made in error. I have a hunch that you meant to say that the questions on the actual USMLE, Step 2-CK exam were much LESS DIFFICULT than those encountered in USMLEworld, but I was hoping you could clarify. Also, please share your thoughts regarding Crush vs. First Aid. Thank you!

Yes, you are correct. I was groggy from my 5 hour nap -- brain wasn't firing on all cylinders, you see. The UW questions were much more challenging than the real Step 2 questions.

To answer your second question, I think UW supplemented with Crush is probably ideal (at least it was for me). From what I understand, First Aid for Step 2 isn't nearly as helpful as the Step I version. There's quite a bit of detail in F.A., which I thought was overkill. Some people; however, have gotten good results with FA, so, I guess it's just personal preference. The UW questions have stellar explanations and I think that's probably all the detail you really need. Good luck.