USN Campus choice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gvsk

pharMAFIA!!!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
dear all i got accepted into USN and have seen my I20 very late...
edit:
i am in a dillema of campus please pick on which is bets .. keep cost of living aside..and tell me which is bettr priofesionally, faculty wise and campuse wise and student group wise

I have to send my acceptance form with 1000$ tuition deposit.Dr Deyound said i hav to send it within 15 dayys afetr arrival.. i still havent decided on what campus.. was thinkign of henderson only but any idea abt utah sth jordan campus is it any better in building construction etc etc

please post your views

and also tell me if i post my acceptance later than 15 days will i lose my seat at USN...Cos USN isn my 2nd priority univ .. i dont mind payin 1000$ now .. but dont wanna lose my seat.

How would u all also rate USN. like after my pharm D degree and after clearing NAPLEX will it be a difference if i graduated from any school once i have cleared NAPLEX or would i be at a lower level get a lower job since i didnt it from not a higher lever univ

Please do help me out and also help me out on my pre reqs if u can its posted here http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=377758

Thank you all

Members don't see this ad.

dear all i got accepted into USN and have seen my I20 very late...

I have to send my acceptance form with 1000$ tuition deposit.Dr Deyound said i hav to send it within 15 dayys afetr arrival.. i still havent decided on what campus.. was thinkign of henderson only but any idea abt utah sth jordan campus is it any better in building construction etc etc

please post your views

and also tell me if i post my acceptance later than 15 days will i lose my seat at USN...Cos USN isn my 2nd priority univ .. i dont mind payin 1000$ now .. but dont wanna lose my seat.

How would u all also rate USN. like after my pharm D degree and after clearing NAPLEX will it be a difference if i graduated from any school once i have cleared NAPLEX or would i be at a lower level get a lower job since i didnt it from not a higher lever univ

Please do help me out and also help me out on my pre reqs if u can its posted here http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=377758

Thank you all

One bonus of the Utah campus is that the cost of living near the S. Jordan campus will be less than that near the Henderson campus. Here is one option for you: choose the S. Jordan campus and move in May so that you can take the pre-reqs at Salt Lake Community College (www.slcc.edu). Just make sure your english/reading placement score is up to par so that you can take the english class you need this Summer. And that your math placement score is good enough to get you into Calculus I.

Best wishes:)

Also slcc it very good about working w/ you to get into classes that you need. I have gone back to school after 14 years, so all of my classes were old, but by talking to the departments I have had no problems getting pre-reqs for the classes I needed, pharm pre-reqs, waived. They are very good to work with. Also w/ slcc you can apply on-line and everything that goes along with that on-line, very easy system.

Good Luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there mrsturtle:)

How was the UofU interview?

If you were accepted to both schools now which would you choose and why?

Later,

G

what wud be better.. whcih campuses facilities are better .. henderson or utah.. can i change campuses in like p2 etc or is that not a possibilitty..

what is a over all beter equipped campus

and where is the cost of living lesser

Regarding cost of living, according to http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costofliving/costofliving.html

Salary in Las Vegas NV: $100,000
Comparable salary in Salt Lake City UT: $93,001.84

If you move from Las Vegas NV to Salt Lake City UT...

Groceries will cost: 3.082% more
Housing will cost: 22.093% less
Utilities will cost: 17.798% less
Transportation will cost: 0.502% less
Healthcare will cost: 6.947% less

So, Salt Lake City is a lower cost of living.

hmm thats makes me wonder...

cos apt rent costs must be lesser in UTAH makes it more affordable

Hey there mrsturtle:)

How was the UofU interview?

If you were accepted to both schools now which would you choose and why?

Later,

G

The U of U told me "1 week to let us know if we are accepted", so hopefully first of next week I will know. I still don't know which I will choose. There are pros to both, and either has huge cons, soooo I am just driving myself (and my husband) insane.

Please do reply regarding the campus choice please takin into consideration all pros and cons.. like better campus

and better life i know LV is expensive but how bad is it compared to UTAH

The cost of living is more in LV. LV is warmer, very hot in the summer 110+ is not uncommon, but there is no humidity. There is no snow in the winter.

So. Jordan is about 15-20 minutes south of Salt Lake City (SLC) and has 4 distinct seasons, quite hot in the summer (upper 90's common and 100+ days happen), but no humidity. In the winter it is quite cold, w/ snow but again no humidity. SLC is up against mountains. Utah has amazing outdoor recreation. Major ski resorts, camping, hiking, biking, boating, deserts, parks, golfing, atv trails ect... There are 5 National Parks in Utah and about 26 state parks. It is true that Utah is predominately mormon. But like any where you will find what you want to find. I have lived in Utah most of my life and love it. (I have lived outside Utah). Yes, the culture is different, but you will find that everywhere has it differences. Most people are friendly.

I believe "campus life" is not a factor w/ USN. USN is not like a state school w/ all the social activities and groups that you find there. So you will probably want to base your decision on what area that you live in will best fit you.

The U of U told me "1 week to let us know if we are accepted", so hopefully first of next week I will know. I still don't know which I will choose. There are pros to both, and either has huge cons, soooo I am just driving myself (and my husband) insane.

mrsturtle,

I made space in my pm box:)

sorry it has been full lately:)

that would be a tough decision to decide between the two schools, I certainly don't envy you and yours with regards to that:)

Mrsturtle,

i am not that intersted in the las vegas life.... it could be fun for a while but not for 3 yrs... and it will prove to be very expensive

i am mostly gonna choose utah campus ad send the acceptance aftr monday.

how much is the rent there i know cheaper than las vegas but how much cheaper.

any idea abt Indian population in that area,

Dr deyoung said that both the campuses are the same model only thing is that hnderson has better lab. did u see both the campuses or just Sth jordan,, can u pls gimme an outline of how the campus is in Sth jordan

Members don't see this ad :)
how big are both campuses in comparison to one another,,,

usn at henderson was pretty small.... so any one who has seen usn at siuh jordan please let me know abt the facitlities etc

do they have a ping pong table

and also USN at south jordan does it have only pharm D program or other mba and BS in nursing also...

i hav seen in my serches that usn at south jordan is a 120,000 sq feet campus it iits construction complete.

Yes, South Jordan has a ping-pong table. Currently there is only pharmacy at the Utah location, but they are working on getting the other programs at the Utah campus. There is not a "campus" like a traditional US state school. USN is in a business area and they have a single building. There is a large commons are (big room w/ tables, kitchen area, booths, tv, seating, ping-pong table, air hockey table...,), very nice, classrooms, w/ break out rooms, lab, rest rooms, offices, and library. I believe the Henderson campus is similar, but I have not been there.

As for apartments try looking up the deseret news and salt lake tribune new papers (on-line classified sections) to get prices. You may want to google map the address of the school to get an idea of where the school is. It is at the south end of the salt lake valley west of the 106th south exit of I-15. There is quite a lot of housing at the south end of the valley. I personally live in Utah County (Provo) which is about 30 min. south of the school and my husband and I own a condo, so I am not the best source about renting in salt lake county.

I don't know much about the Indian community in Utah, but I have heard of and spoken to some students at Salt Lake community college that I believe are from India. ( I would bet there is at least a small Indian community).

A couple of web-site that will have some rental info:
http://www.utahrealtyguide.com/
www.rent.com

Good Luck

The area around the USN Utah campus is pretty pricey; South Jordan and Draper, in particular. Sandy, Herriman, Riverton and Bluffdale could be options that aren't as high priced but I'll suggest a few northern ones that will likely be even more affordable. If you head north you'll find options such as West Jordan, Taylorsville, Murray and Midvale - most of these areas are likely a 15 minute drive or less to USN/Utah. Even if you did live in South Jordan right down the street from the school it would still be more affordable than Henderson (Nevada), that's for sure.

That all being said I guess it depends on whether you want your own place or will be sharing a place with other students. If you are looking for roomates then WWW.SLCC.EDU might have roomates they could hook you up with if USN/Utah doesn't:)

k k .. i got a mail saying henderson campus has all student groups NCPA, ASHP, APhA, Kappa Psi etc etc...

does usn utah also have student groups

i am mostly gonna select utah campus now...

can any one ASAP pleas egive the correct rent figures of both areas henderson and south jordan

Use apartments.com and you can see lots of apartments for both the South Jordan area and Henderson. I just quickly looked and in the Salt Lake area you will find 1 bedroom apartments starting about $550-to 1000+, in the Henderson area it looked as 1 bedroom started at 750 - 1200+. So just a quick look will tell you the Utah housing will be about 200 less per month. This is just from a quick look at apartments.com. Look on-line at this site because you can choose what features you would like.

And Utah is finally getting an IKEA!!! I'm so excited!!!! That's probably the best reason to choose the Utah campus.:p

k then decided i am goin to Utah campus......

whats an IKEA.. i googled for it but only found something related to furniture

whats an IKEA.. i googled for it but only found something related to furniture

IKEA is a Scandinavian-style furniture. Pretty good stuff, great prices.

Now- I'm going to offer you some unsolicited advice; feel free to take it or leave it. In other threads, you've mentioned that you're not a native English speaker (and definitely not an American-English speaker). Clearly you're bright enough that you managed to do well in high-level coursework and get accepted to a pharmD program, but I remember you bewailing your perceived lack of ability to be comfortable with written and spoken English. For that, I have a cure- stop using computer text-message shorthand.

Seriously- if the language is a weakness, then don't complicate things by using a cheapened version of it. Take advantage of this opportunity to polish your writing (and ultimately speaking) ability. Lose the 'ur' and 'b4' garbage and type out you, you're, your, before, as appropriate. Write real words like 'going' rather than goin or gonna. I promise you, it will help. It definitely won't hurt.

My personal opinion is that text message shorthand has only one place in this world and that's on real text messages; I think people who use compu-shorthand in chatrooms look foolish and uneducated, and look like they're in junior high. Granted, that's my personal opinion and others' mileage may vary, but really--- for a non-native speaker, that text-message stuff will only hurt you. Look at it as a free English grammar and usage class......

I hope you take this in the honest and encouraging spirit it is intended. i wish you the best of luck in pharm school. ;-)

IKEA is a Scandinavian-style furniture. Pretty good stuff, great prices.

Now- I'm going to offer you some unsolicited advice; feel free to take it or leave it. In other threads, you've mentioned that you're not a native English speaker (and definitely not an American-English speaker). Clearly you're bright enough that you managed to do well in high-level coursework and get accepted to a pharmD program, but I remember you bewailing your perceived lack of ability to be comfortable with written and spoken English. For that, I have a cure- stop using computer text-message shorthand.

Seriously- if the language is a weakness, then don't complicate things by using a cheapened version of it. Take advantage of this opportunity to polish your writing (and ultimately speaking) ability. Lose the 'ur' and 'b4' garbage and type out you, you're, your, before, as appropriate. Write real words like 'going' rather than goin or gonna. I promise you, it will help. It definitely won't hurt.

My personal opinion is that text message shorthand has only one place in this world and that's on real text messages; I think people who use compu-shorthand in chatrooms look foolish and uneducated, and look like they're in junior high. Granted, that's my personal opinion and others' mileage may vary, but really--- for a non-native speaker, that text-message stuff will only hurt you. Look at it as a free English grammar and usage class......

I hope you take this in the honest and encouraging spirit it is intended. i wish you the best of luck in pharm school. ;-)

ok good advice.. i usually dont type in short hand too much. My emails etc are in fluent english its only when i am a bit lazy that i use short forms...

Any way thanks

hey all... where is USN henderson's ping pong table located.. i didnt find it during my interview and college tour

If you're in the student commons, I believe it is in the northwest corner of that room. If you're walking into the commons from the outside, you'll head straight back towards the end of the room and then turn right and it should be on your left-hand side. I think this is where I remember it being. I may be getting confused of the exact location, but it's in the student commons area.

So is there anything to regret regarding the utah campus selection to las vegas... especially for an outstate for whome both are new...

i have now sent an email to dr deyoung. abt askin for change of campus after considering many factor, i hope it will work out to my benifit and hpoe change in campus is possible

Does anyone know what is the average GPA of accepted students for USN? What kind of weight would a bachelor degree and previous experience in health care carry in admission decisions at USN? I will be applying for next cycle with 3.5 ish GPA with a BS in Science and currently working as a medical technologist. I am a very non-traditional student and USN is my number 1 choice.

i have now sent an email to dr deyoung. abt askin for change of campus after considering many factor, i hope it will work out to my benifit and hpoe change in campus is possible

I'd suggest you go to the Utah campus....;)

Does anyone know what is the average GPA of accepted students for USN? What kind of weight would a bachelor degree and previous experience in health care carry in admission decisions at USN? I will be applying for next cycle with 3.5 ish GPA with a BS in Science and currently working as a medical technologist. I am a very non-traditional student and USN is my number 1 choice.

2006 Application Statistics: 1472 applications received; 194 students admitted (142 Nevada Campus and 52 Utah Campus); Overall GPA of admitted students was 3.7.

Bachelor's degree and experience is always a plus. I think you'd be competative, why not go for it.

I'd suggest you go to the Utah campus....;)

can u pls tell me asap why do u want me to go to utah campus rather than henderson,.,, please keep the cost of living factors aside

pls reply so i hav to send email asap

if u had no prob with livin there just o decide on the campus what will u pic, henderson or utah and why

Hi, I am also a Medica Technologist looking to apply in the summer for 2008 class. I have been a medical Technologist for about 9yrs now. Maybe we can talk some more about why we are changing careers. Any other Medical technologists out there can also respond. You can email me at [email protected].

pl reply regarind henderson or utah

pls reply.. its very very urgent

hey is the circled region the pharm college or is there more to it.

usnhendhr0.jpg

pls do reply

Not that it really pertains to your question, but the building that is circled there is not actually USN; its a corporate office complex that's a bit west of the campus. USN is located a few buildings to the east (right on the map); it's not actually on the map that you have posted there.

As to your question, I think this a decision that you'll have to make on your own. I live in Henderson, and it's a lot like other cities I've lived in, so I can't think of anything that really stands out. The traffic is just awful in the Las Vegas area in general--not congested-wise, although you do get that too, but that's just like any other city. It's that the people here drive very wrecklessly. Of course, there's a lot more entertainment options just a few miles away, but then you're not going to have much time for that, maybe just on breaks. The only way you're going to know for sure which one you'll like better is if you can take a week or so and visit the two places, but not everyone's budget will allow them to do that (even then, its just a temporary visit, and you will still not be seeing how it is to live from day to day--but you'll get a better idea). I don't know what to tell you-- just go with what you feel is best and hope that it is the right decision. Remember, it's only a few years, and then you'll have your whole life ahead of you!

I GUESS THIS IS IT
usnyi2.jpg

SO DEFINITELY BIGGER THAN UTAH CAMPUS

Maybe the area (neighboring businesses, etc.) around the Nevada campus is bigger but actually the Utah building is bigger than the Nevada one. I've been told this by USN faculty/staff and students. As far as the number of students is concerned Nevada has more students. USN is planning a lot of "future" expansion at the Utah campus. Not only will they be increasing the pharmacy program in Utah but they also plan other academic programs, hence the bigger building.

I GUESS THIS IS IT

Yes, the one building at the end is USN. The one with all the cars in it. They need a bigger parking lot!!! I've heard parking is difficult to find (especially on Fridays). Don't know how open the local business are to allowing students to park in their lots instead.

officially changed to henderson campus so made the decision considering all facotorsd

thats ya all for co operatiing with me

officially changed to henderson campus so made the decision considering all facotorsd

thats ya all for co operatiing with me

gvsk,

congrats to you on arriving at your "final answer". :)

One other curiosity I do have with your situation. Are you still waiting on Nova? If you get into Nova will you be attending Nova or USN Henderson?

If I Get Into Nova I Qwill Go To Nova 99% Cos Its A 2 Yr 4 Month Prog And The Fee Is Almost Half 18,000$ Per Yr And A Whole Lot Lot Lot Bigger Campus And Facilities....

I Wont Have Any Regrets Joining Usn As Very Satisfied With It Too...

If I Get Into Nova I Qwill Go To Nova 99% Cos Its A 2 Yr 4 Month Prog And The Fee Is Almost Half 18,000$ Per Yr And A Whole Lot Lot Lot Bigger Campus And Facilities....

I Wont Have Any Regrets Joining Usn As Very Satisfied With It Too...

Well best wishes to you whatever you do:)

FYI: My brother goes to Dental School at Nova. Cost of living there is a lot; even more than Vegas I think! Still you'd probably come out better just because of the lesser tuition and the 2 yr 4 month deal. Fort Laurterdale is a really cool place.

i actaully got waitlisted and slet over night.. and in the mornign when ui checked my mail ,, a position came at hendersonaand i got in.. thanks to that perspm who cancelled their henderson seat

i got this info from usn south jordan dean and some from Dr D

they dont hav a research lab , henderson does
no stunden groups
campus is blank just one lecture hall
library and computer las lesser developed than henderson
and they dont plan tp develop too soo as fast develeopment isnt a good thing