USN Class of 2008 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mandy_2

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello friends, I am Mandy. I thought I'd start a thread for USN students to post questions, information, or anything related to USN and Calss of 2008. It'll be nice to get to know a few people before school starts. I look forward to meeting you all in August 24th. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Mandy_2 said:
Hello friends, I am Mandy. I thought I'd start a thread for USN students to post questions, information, or anything related to USN and Calss of 2008. It'll be nice to get to know a few people before school starts. I look forward to meeting you all in August 24th. :)

Hi, Jason here. Still try to decide which loan option i should choose for the coming year. Need find a place to stay as well. maybe a roommate to save some money. Right now, just chilling and study for the final.

Vorkosigan said:
Hi, Jason here. Still try to decide which loan option i should choose for the coming year. Need find a place to stay as well. maybe a roommate to save some money. Right now, just chilling and study for the final.
Hello Jason, I'll probably go with Keybank but I am not sure! I am so busy studying for my finals as well, I will think about the housing after my finals :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Jason and Mandy!
I finally chose KeyBank...I called and applied by phone...it was really fast (less than 10 min...)...now I'm just waiting for the confirmation paper to be sent home and then send it to the financial aid office...
Be care to turn in the required materials before the dead line...I think you have to choose a lender by the end of May... :) ...just a reminder...

Good for you Abilen :) . you know I found out that they all have the variable rate and the one that has the lowest rate is the Nelnet first then Key Bank. So I am just debating between these two lenders :idea:

With final next week. I am going wait till it's done then decide on the loan. I wonder if the 3 lenders they listed are only 3 i can choose from. or i choose other lenders as well. I guess i will email Dr. DeYoung and find out. good luck with the finals.

For those who are attending USN in the fall, what factors influenced your decision to go to that school? I am still debating whether or not to attend....

Thanks!

RxGirl said:
For those who are attending USN in the fall, what factors influenced your decision to go to that school? I am still debating whether or not to attend....

Thanks!

block system, 3 year program, clinical environment.

I just got the news that keybank has been take off the lender list. no reason given. Since you guys choose keybank as your lender. you better call Donna for confirmation. I guess we all going with Nelnet now. *sigh* let's all pray that federal financial aid come through for us next year. :(

I'm from Orange County and at the end year of P-1 in USN. I'll go back this summer for my rotation. So if you guys from OC would like to meet up, I'll be more than happy to do so when i get back there...:)

USN rocks:)

just finished finals!...I'll be at USN in the fall. I just found out I have been accepted to midwestern also but I'm sure I am going to USN...they have my deposit anyway. I think I am going with nelnet as a lender. When are y'all moving down there? I'm going down monday to check out housing and stuff. I'm excited to meet y'all!

Congratulations to everyone on SDN who will be attending USNCOP this fall! Best of luck...I'll still check in once in awhile after I move out of town late June, so feel free to PM me with any questions (I'll do my best). :luck:

aptekmies said:
Hey I'm Todd, just finished finals!...I'll be at USN in the fall. I just found out I have been accepted to midwestern also but I'm sure I am going to USN...they have my deposit anyway. I think I am going with nelnet as a lender. When are y'all moving down there? I'm going down monday to check out housing and stuff. I'm excited to meet y'all!
Hello Todd. Good for you, done with the finals, wow that is great :) I am going there to look for the housing probably by the end of May since I have finals till May 26th! Looking forward to seeing you Todd:)
Mandy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mandy_2 said:
Hello Todd. Good for you, done with the finals, wow that is great :) I am going there to look for the housing probably by end of May since I have finals till May 26th! Looking forward to seeing you Todd:)
Mandy.

I finish mine on thursday. I still have Organic lab II to take for summer :mad: I probably won't drive there and look for an apartment till mid august. Man it's going to be a long drive. Good thing i don't mind it. Too bad i don't have anyone to drive with :oops:

Vorkosigan said:
I just got the news that keybank has been take off the lender list. no reason given. Since you guys choose keybank as your lender. you better call Donna for confirmation. I guess we all going with Nelnet now. *sigh* let's all pray that federal financial aid come through for us next year. :(
Hi there and every one else who's applying for loans....
I just called keybank and they said that they are still working with USN to provide student loan...and that my loan application was preapproved and I would be receiving a promisary note from them soon....seemed like there wasn't any problem between USN and KeyBank at all...
Then I called USN, Dr. Deyoung, and he told me that they are appealing KeyBAnk ... not exactly sure what's going on...but he told me that I should wait till the end of the week and he'll email me the updates...
Gosh...plez let there be no problem with the loan....This sort of thing already happened to me last year with Teri loan when I was about to go to the Hawaii school....(it turned out to be a good thing that I wasn't able to go to the hawaii pharmacy school, given the situation that they are in right now...I pray for the school and every one that is in there...)
Any of you interested in Keybank should wait and make sure that everything is ok between Keybank and the school before you apply for the loan...call ms. Lawrence or Dr. Deyoung...they are very nice and helpful... :)
take care...and I look forward to seeing ya all this Fall!

i got accepted too. I am happy . All that waiting finally ended last Friday.

hope_611 said:

Congrat! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Yeah, never give up ! i guess i see you in the fall.

hope_611 said:
Congrats :thumbup: :) can't wait to meet you all :)
If any of you guys want to go with Keybank should apply within next 48 hours! (I am sure everbody got the email regarding this lender just wanted to remind you :)

hope_611 said:

CONGRATS, hope_611!!! I am so excited for you. I know how difficult it must have been to wait all of this time for your acceptance--but you're now in! See you in the fall!

Asor

Corradoracer said:
i got accepted...75% chance i will go there

Congrats to you too, Corradoracer! When did you get the great news? I know you mentioned being 75% sure that you will attend USN--hopefully, we'll see you there :thumbup:

Asor

*sigh* I just sent in my application this afternoon. I wonder if i can call them and change it. Darn it.

Corradoracer said:
i havent gotten that email. whats going on with them?

Here is the email they send:

"To All Students:
We have been notified by Key Bank that they intend to discontinue their leading services in the near future.
Key Bank is one of our approved lenders with a very competitive lending package.
Therefore, if you wish to take advantage of Key Bank's services it is imperative that you submit your loan
application within the next 48 hours.
Failure to do so could result in your loan(s) being denied and requiring your application to a lender
offering a different package at possibly higher rates.
For those who have already made application we appreciate your attention to this detail.
For those who will be making application at this time, please notify Donna Lawrence in financial aid
as soon as your loan is approved."

hope that helps.

Asor said:
CONGRATS, hope_611!!! I am so excited for you. I know how difficult it must have been to wait all of this time for your acceptance--but you're now in! See you in the fall!

Asor
Thanks . see you too .

Do you guys know if USN has a dress code? I know some schools do have dress codes, meaning you are not allowed to wear jeans!! Do you know if USN is the same ?

No dress code at USN except for presentations and EPPE. I'd apply for Nelnet if you can, it has the lowest interest rate. Basically the list of banks they give you to choose from is in order of best to worst from left to right. That's pretty much a direct quote from the finacial aid department. So choose wisely: Left is better, right is bad. It's that simple. :(

Mandy_2 said:
Do you guys know if USN has a dress code? I know some schools do have dress codes, meaning you are not allowed to wear jeans!! Do you know if USN is the same ?
I got to talk to some of the students there after the interview...
the only time that you had to dress formal was the first day of school for the white coat ceremony...that's it...
And when I had the tour around the place, there were students around, and I saw a lot of jeans and other informal clothing, even work out clothes :)
A very relaxing environment...

Wear what you want, except for presentation days, EPPE, CPPE, APPE. It's not uncommon for students to wear flip flops, shorts, and a Tshirt to lecture. There may be a few faculty members who may look at you a little funny for dressing too far down, but nothing prohibits it.

Alright! i hate to wear a shirt and a tie all day!

just one question for current USN student...if you have to retake a certain class in the summer...do you have to pay extra tuition for it? :oops:

Abilene said:
just one question for current USN student...if you have to retake a certain class in the summer...do you have to pay extra tuition for it? :oops:

The answer is NO:)