Jul 13, 2009
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Hi, I was hoping to apply to University of Southern Nevada for Fall 2010, but am worried I will not be able to. According to the website, "Applicants must complete any FIVE of the Science/Math prerequisites listed below by December 31st of the year before enrollment", yet another part of the site says "At least four of the eight science/math prerequisites must be completed by December in order to apply for the next fall enrollment". Last year I did chem 1 and 2 and bio 1 and 2, but apparently USN does not require biology. This Fall I will be taking calc, organic 1, and a&p 1. Will I not be able to apply since these classes will not be completed until mid-December? Thanks.

Jul 15, 2009
Orange County
Status
Pharmacy Student
Hi, I was hoping to apply to University of Southern Nevada for Fall 2010, but am worried I will not be able to. According to the website, "Applicants must complete any FIVE of the Science/Math prerequisites listed below by December 31st of the year before enrollment", yet another part of the site says "At least four of the eight science/math prerequisites must be completed by December in order to apply for the next fall enrollment". Last year I did chem 1 and 2 and bio 1 and 2, but apparently USN does not require biology. This Fall I will be taking calc, organic 1, and a&p 1. Will I not be able to apply since these classes will not be completed until mid-December? Thanks.
I'm a little zoned out right now but what I can tell is that if you want to apply for next fall's enrollment you must have 4 sci/math classes completed by dec. Then, in order for you to actually be matriculated after acceptance, you would need to have a total of five math/sci classes (so basically one more). Since it says by December 31st, and as long as you meet the four prereqs by then, you should be fine to apply.

OP
H
Jul 13, 2009
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I only have two science courses completed (chem 1 and 2) since Biology doesn't count at USN. By December 31st I would have 5 completed, but I don't understand why they are saying 4/8 must be completed by December.

Jul 15, 2009
Orange County
Status
Pharmacy Student
I only have two science courses completed (chem 1 and 2) since Biology doesn't count at USN. By December 31st I would have 5 completed, but I don't understand why they are saying 4/8 must be completed by December.
It might be just that they don't feel applicants won't do well if they have to stack so many prereq courses while they're applying. They probably just want a good feel for how well you will do before making a decision on your application. Having only 2 pre-reqs complete doesn't nearly say as much about you as having 4 pre-reqs complete.

gsinccom

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2005
Wasatch Front
Status
Pharmacist
I didn't find on the website where it says "four" but I did find more than two places where it says "five". If you look on this link you'll find two of them: http://www.usn.edu/pharmacy/admissions-requirements . Under Academic Requirements and Prerequisites and Admissions Timeline it says five. Maybe four is listed in a part of their website that needs updating. You should contact the admissions office and let them know the part of their website that may need updating.

How I understand it is that you could apply to USN as long as they receive your transcripts by early February 2010: http://www.usn.edu/pharmacy/admissions-application . So get your application in well before the deadline and then send the transcripts well before early February that indicate you completed the five prereqs by the end of December. Then you'll need to make sure you have all the other prereqs done so that you can start the program, if you are accepted, in August 2011.

hope that helps. If it is still unclear I'd recommend contacting the pharmacy admissions office.