USN - rejection?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jcu07

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
has anyone flat-out received a rejection from the school? i don't know whether i should give up hope or hold on to some. haha. i applied last minute deadline (wasn't planning on it) and have yet to hear anything, apart from the email saying they were reviewing my application. should i have received a rejection letter or is there a possiblity of an interview? have they sent out those letters?

Members don't see this ad.

You won't receive a rejection until April or May. They'll probably still be interviewing through April. Interview dates are scheduled until March 12th (as far as I know), so they'll probably be a few more interview dates that will be scheduled after that.

Dr. DeYoung said they'll interview up to the last interview date and then the admission committee will meet in march/april and decide if they need to interview some more; if that is the case, they will invite more people; if they have enough qualifying applicants for the Fall 2007 class, they will end the cycle for this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry i havent been on here in forever. so...basically...you're saying that they will send out all rejection letters together at the end of the whole process? rather than sending them out as they go along? thats kind of frustrating. in any case, i will be out in the las vegas area and emailed them if for nothing else, to have a tour of the campus. thanks for the info though. i appreciate it.

sorry i havent been on here in forever. so...basically...you're saying that they will send out all rejection letters together at the end of the whole process? rather than sending them out as they go along? thats kind of frustrating. in any case, i will be out in the las vegas area and emailed them if for nothing else, to have a tour of the campus. thanks for the info though. i appreciate it.

I suggest talking to Dr. DeYoung personally and ask him about your status, he's a nice man, so the least he can do is dig up your app and tell you what you're lacking (if anything). Try to communicate how commited you are in your pursuit of becoming a pharmacist. Good luck!

I agree with the frustration. I wish that if you have no chance at all they'd just send you a rejection letter right away. However, I suppose they never can tell just where the cut off will be. You know what I really wish they'd do is let you know how many points you have. I don't see what would be wrong with that. I'm probably missing something obvious as to why they don't do that, but if I know I have like a 70, then I can be pretty sure I'm not going to be getting a call from them anytime soon and can be more focused on getting things together for next year. But if I have like an 85 or something, then I can be allowed to hope a little.

I agree with the frustration. I wish that if you have no chance at all they'd just send you a rejection letter right away. However, I suppose they never can tell just where the cut off will be. You know what I really wish they'd do is let you know how many points you have. I don't see what would be wrong with that. I'm probably missing something obvious as to why they don't do that, but if I know I have like a 70, then I can be pretty sure I'm not going to be getting a call from them anytime soon and can be more focused on getting things together for next year. But if I have like an 85 or something, then I can be allowed to hope a little.

Hey Piyi,
That is that 70 and 85 you were talking about. Could you put light on that. are you talking about that 28 , 28, 40 scale?
I really dont know how that works if you are talking about it.
I have 3.71 two bachelors degrees worked in lab, retail and hospital pharmacy, I would rate the interview i had at usn as an excellent one. Could you give me a tentative score now???
ray

Hey Piyi,
That is that 70 and 85 you were talking about. Could you put light on that. are you talking about that 28 , 28, 40 scale?
I really dont know how that works if you are talking about it.
I have 3.71 two bachelors degrees worked in lab, retail and hospital pharmacy, I would rate the interview i had at usn as an excellent one. Could you give me a tentative score now???
ray

Yeah, I was talking about the 28, 28, 40 scale. 28 for overall gpa, 28 for science gpa, 40 for interview. I'm not sure what the other 4 points are for, but I've heard that you get 2 for a bachelors, 1 extra for masters and another extra for doctorate. So is the 3.71 your overall or science? I would only include in the science gpa the prerequisities required by usn. I believe you would figure out the exact points you would get on the 28 point score this way: your gpa/4.0 x 28. so, if yours is 3.71, then it would be 3.71/4.0=0.9275 0.9275 x 28=~26. But I have no idea if this is how they would figure it out, so I'm by no means saying that is your definite score. I just don't know how else they would figure it out. I would think that would be the fairest way, but maybe they have some sort of schedule worked out, like 4.0=28 3.9=26 3.7=24, etc. I have no idea. Now what I'd really like to know is how they figure out the interview score! That's great that you feel you did well on your interview. I wish I could say the same of mine. I was just so nervous. Especially in the beginning; I could even hear my voice tremble, so I know that did not look good! Then I got more comfortable near the end, and I thought I gave some decent answers at least. So, who knows. Anyway, I hope that helps you figure out how you may have scored in the overall points. If anyone else can clarify something that I may have said earlier that was wrong, that would be great. Ok, I've got to go to class!

Thanx Piyi. Now i got it. LOL.
I hope they have the same scale... I should be in if i apply this scale.
Lets hope for the best.
ray

I agree that waiting is hard. I honestly do not know what pharm schools look into to accept their own characterized qualifying students. A student was only sophmore and seemed like no experience in pharm field. But he was admitted by two pharm schools. He has still more pre-requirements to finish.
Maybe he prooved that he can handle lots units with perfect GPA. I guess rest of us who are under their threshold have to continue to wait until they finalize their decision.:oops:

hey i attended my interview at USN in January and did not hear anything from them. what about you? still i have a chance?

Dr. DeYoung said they'll interview up to the last interview date and then the admission committee will meet in march/april and decide if they need to interview some more; if that is the case, they will invite more people; if they have enough qualifying applicants for the Fall 2007 class, they will end the cycle for this year.
hi catalina did you get acceptance from USN? becuse i have attended the interview in january and still no answer.

I attended interview in january too.I have not heard anything yet.I know that so many people have already got accepted.Does it mean rejection!!!!!!!!I hope not..

I attended interview in january too.I have not heard anything yet.I know that so many people have already got accepted.Does it mean rejection!!!!!!!!I hope not..

The majority of people will be hearing back in April, maybe the very end of this month. I wouldn't say so many people already got accepted because it was only a select few that have gotten a call. Maybe 20 to 40 people out of 220.

The majority of people will be hearing back in April, maybe the very end of this month. I wouldn't say so many people already got accepted because it was only a select few that have gotten a call. Maybe 20 to 40 people out of 220.
hi rxcrystal,
hopefully we would hear soon...if you guys will get acceptance then please let me know.