USNews Rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Even though USNews rankings mean nothing, it still feels kinda nice to see my program up there

Members don't see this ad :)
Even though USNews rankings mean nothing, it still feels kinda nice to see my program up there

A question for the younger folks: How accurately do the US News rankings reflect desirability among the applicants with best credentials and most options?

A question for the younger folks: How accurately do the US News rankings reflect desirability among the applicants with best credentials and most options?

I think that it is surprisingly accurate. I interviewed at most of them. Although I think stanford was the most desirable and ucsf less so.

As the user above alluded to, Doximity rankings are the most important, but there's significant overlap in the top 10 between Doximity and US News.

Doximity rankings are much more relevant.

Since when are doximity rankings important? They weren't even a thing 5 years ago.

Doximity rankings are trash.... however more and more people i think are using them, and soon the rankings may reflect the quality of applicants who go to these programs... A previously competitive program may get less competitive because doximity rank them lower..

But agree the rankings are a useless reflection of quality of training.

Columbia is ranked #7 on the us news list, and pretty high on doximity too. I remember a couple years ago, on this forum, their match rate to cardiac fellowship was terrible with multiple unmatched... and their performance on ITE was also terrible. Not saying it's a terrible program, but may not deserve the 7th spot

Since when are doximity rankings important? They weren't even a thing 5 years ago.

I would think that since actual board certified physicians are the ones providing input to Doximity they would seem more relevant than US News which is based on little more than numbers.

When it comes to medical school and residency rankings, the rankings are a self fulfilling prophecy. The best applicants want to go to the programs with the best reputations which then churn out the best graduates (because they started with the best applicants). It's just one big circle based on little more than reputation and it takes a long time to change it. I mean I know nothing about UCSF's anesthesia department at this point. Don't know anybody that works there and have not worked with a graduate from their in forever. If from now until forever, their graduating residents were the worst anesthesiologists in the country how long would it take to start to filter in the rankings? 5 years? 10 years? 20 years?

I would think that since actual board certified physicians are the ones providing input to Doximity they would seem more relevant than US News which is based on little more than numbers.

When it comes to medical school and residency rankings, the rankings are a self fulfilling prophecy. The best applicants want to go to the programs with the best reputations which then churn out the best graduates (because they started with the best applicants). It's just one big circle based on little more than reputation and it takes a long time to change it. I mean I know nothing about UCSF's anesthesia department at this point. Don't know anybody that works there and have not worked with a graduate from their in forever. If from now until forever, their graduating residents were the worst anesthesiologists in the country how long would it take to start to filter in the rankings? 5 years? 10 years? 20 years?

board certification barely means anything to begin with. also when you have physicians providing input, instead of looking at #s, the big programs have the advantage because their own graduates are more likely to rank their own programs high. Programs with a class of <10 will never rise up to top 10 IMO

Members don't see this ad :)
board certification barely means anything to begin with. also when you have physicians providing input, instead of looking at #s, the big programs have the advantage because their own graduates are more likely to rank their own programs high. Programs with a class of <10 will never rise up to top 10 IMO

No way, you get to rank everybody. I don't think slightly overrating your own program is going to outweigh how the rest of the world ranks it. I mean I have reasonably decent opinions about more than a dozen programs that I am familiar with. And my own opinion of where I did residency has been decreasing recently. There is literally no reason for someone 10+ years out from residency to care where their program ranks.

I mean to me something like NIH funding (which I assume plays a reasonably large role in USNews rankings) has literally no impact on quality of residency training.

Reactions: 1 user
No way, you get to rank everybody. I don't think slightly overrating your own program is going to outweigh how the rest of the world ranks it. I mean I have reasonably decent opinions about more than a dozen programs that I am familiar with. And my own opinion of where I did residency has been decreasing recently. There is literally no reason for someone 10+ years out from residency to care where their program ranks.

I mean to me something like NIH funding (which I assume plays a reasonably large role in USNews rankings) has literally no impact on quality of residency training.

also more people are familiar with bigger programs... than the smaller ones

if it is a bad program, being bigger will definitely hurt their ranking far more rapidly

just perusing both sets of rankings it does not appear that either is more favorable than the other to smaller vs bigger programs

I put more stock into the reviews that are placed here. There was also a website that had a bunch of residency reviews but I think it wasn't updated well. There was a lot of truth on there, especially when I compared my own program to what people said.

I put more stock into the reviews that are placed here. There was also a website that had a bunch of residency reviews but I think it wasn't updated well. There was a lot of truth on there, especially when I compared my own program to what people said.

Scutwork.com

I think that it is surprisingly accurate. I interviewed at most of them. Although I think stanford was the most desirable and ucsf less so.
I think it's funny that NYU is ranked so highly. NYU for med school is now ranked #2 on doximity, I suspect that med school ranking plays into the anesthesiology ranking as well. NYU is a good program but by no means should it be ranked #9 (above UCLA, Cornell, Mt. Sinai) for example...

I think it's funny that NYU is ranked so highly. NYU for med school is now ranked #2 on doximity, I suspect that med school ranking plays into the anesthesiology ranking as well. NYU is a good program but by no means should it be ranked #9 (above UCLA, Cornell, Mt. Sinai) for example...

Based on what?

nyu jumped to #2 because they offered free tuition. all of a sudden now its one of the best medical schools. i guess it depends on what the ranking is supposed to measure...

how is NYU #2? Since when did NYU become this power medical school above places like Hopkins, Stanford, and WashU? The rise of NYU has shocked the hell out of me.

how is NYU #2? Since when did NYU become this power medical school above places like Hopkins, Stanford, and WashU? The rise of NYU has shocked the hell out of me.

People have been saying this every year since it broke the top 10

Reactions: 1 users
People have been saying this every year since it broke the top 10
Well, going from 30 to to 2 in a decade is remarkable

Their big gains recently are from a tweak to the methodology to allow more non-NIH funding to count towards school rank. For example if the defense department was funding a biophysics project in basic science labs at NYU, previously that would not count towards medical research funding like an NIH grant did. Now it does count

Interestingly, their methodology page mentions this change came at the urging of some medical school deans. Maybe we'll get some really varied lists over the next few years as things get added

Last edited:

if you take a group of highly competitive applicants who can get into Stanford, Hopkins, et al. Give them a choice of going 350k or so in debt to attend them or go to NYU for free, a sizable fraction will choose NYU. Top quality talent choosing a school will make it a powerhouse.

Reactions: 1 users
if you take a group of highly competitive applicants who can get into Stanford, Hopkins, et al. Give them a choice of going 350k or so in debt to attend them or go to NYU for free, a sizable fraction will choose NYU. Top quality talent choosing a school will make it a powerhouse.

Free tuition happened way after the rise in rankings, it did not cause it. The rapid rise in rankings started around ten years ago, free tuition was maybe two or three? Matriculants had a 3.95 gpa and 520 mcat or something ridiculous like that way before they had free tuition.

Reactions: 2 users