USUHS Dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inflamesdjk02

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since USUHS doesn't accept AP credit, I've got to make the decision whether I should sign up for Gen Chem I & II (as embarrassing as it may be) for my last year of undergrad, and soon, since I'm sending in my AMCAS in a couple weeks or so...

I've got 3.82 GPA and 32N MCAT (out of state applicant), tons of research (Cleveland Clinic, NIH, etc), clinical shadowing/volunteering, leadership positions - ya'll think I'd have a good shot at getting accepted? I mean I really want to go there, but should I just say screw it, drop the classes and apply for the HPSP instead?

Input appreciated ....

Members don't see this ad.

Well it depends on how much you really want to go to USUHS. With your stats, you would have a very good chance at getting in, assuming you have the proper motivation (a.k.a. anything not related to money) for pursuing a career in military medicine. If you want a career in the military (with all the benefits AND DRAWBACKS), then keep the classes (they should be an easy A anyway). In my opinion, your stats get you the secondary application, your personal statement on the secondary gets you the interview, and once you get an interview they are actually looking for reasons NOT to accept you. Just have a solid reason why the government should invest hundreds of thousands of dollars in you (in addition to Gen Chem I and II, haha) and you should be fine. Good luck!

Corey
USUHS 2009

P.S. - Apply early!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You don't want to interview late in the season and have to hold out for the waitlist to move to get an acceptance (speaking from personal experience on this one).

Be sure to talk to them about whether you even need to do that. I think they're ok with AP if you've taken higher level classes in the same subject later. If not, I'm going to have some problems :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
cmossop said:
Well it depends on how much you really want to go to USUHS. With your stats, you would have a very good chance at getting in, assuming you have the proper motivation (a.k.a. anything not related to money) for pursuing a career in military medicine. If you want a career in the military (with all the benefits AND DRAWBACKS), then keep the classes (they should be an easy A anyway). In my opinion, your stats get you the secondary application, your personal statement on the secondary gets you the interview, and once you get an interview they are actually looking for reasons NOT to accept you. Just have a solid reason why the government should invest hundreds of thousands of dollars in you (in addition to Gen Chem I and II, haha) and you should be fine. Good luck!

Corey
USUHS 2009

P.S. - Apply early!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You don't want to interview late in the season and have to hold out for the waitlist to move to get an acceptance (speaking from personal experience on this one).

I definetly want to get into USUHS more than anything - more than half of my best friends from high school joined the military in some capacity, and in recent years, I've come to feel as if it's just something that I should do. Alot of people just don’t realize how much is involved in maintaining the defense of this country. Everyone should have an experience sometime in their life that helps them appreciate the sacrifices that military members have made in their service. For me, I think it's half maturity and half keeping in touch with my best friends over the past couple years as they fight for our country. It would mean a great deal to me to have an opportunity to give something back in a capacity that I know I can make a difference.

I had AP Physics credit. I was an engineer, so I did a lot of science beyond Physics I & II, and I decided to ignore any college warning about not accepting AP credit. I was accepted at a number of medical schools that said they would not accept AP credit, including USUHS.

I would say as long as your Phys Science portion of MCAT is decent and you had a strong showing in org chem I & II, no one is going to care about AP credit on gen chem. Then again, you should never trust any advice on internet message boards....

-deegs
USUHS 2009

thanks deegs -

i'm also an engineer and have had a crapload of science courses - the thought of taking gen chem seems pretty ridiculous - i think i'll take your advice.