All Branch Topic (ABT) USUHS PTDY/unpaid travel and taxes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Atlas Shrugged

Family Medicine
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do things such as car rentals and hotel stays that are NOT paid by USUHS and coming out of my pocket count towards the education deduction under "qualified education expenses"?

It states that:

"For purposes of the student loan interest deduction, these expenses are the total costs of attending an eligible educational institution, including graduate school. They include amounts paid for the following items:

• Tuition and fees.
  • Room and board.
  • Books, supplies and equipment.
  • Other necessary expenses (such as transportation).
The cost of room and board qualifies only to the extent that it is not more than the greater of:

• The allowance for room and board, as determined by the eligible educational institution, that was included in the cost of attendance (for federal financial aid purposes) for a particular academic period and living arrangement of the student, or
  • The actual amount charged if the student is residing in housing owned or operated by the eligible educational institution."

The problem seems to be that I am not paying USUHS, but outside car rental and hotel vendors.

4th year has been pretty expensive as only one interview rotation (without car, so paid for car), EM, neurology, and anesthesia are paid for (only 1/3 the year).

I am looking to minimize my out of pocket costs, which are greater than $10,000 at this point.

Any other advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Do things such as car rentals and hotel stays that are NOT paid by USUHS and coming out of my pocket count towards the education deduction under "qualified education expenses"?

It states that:

"For purposes of the student loan interest deduction, these expenses are the total costs of attending an eligible educational institution, including graduate school. They include amounts paid for the following items:

• Tuition and fees.
  • Room and board.
  • Books, supplies and equipment.
  • Other necessary expenses (such as transportation).
The cost of room and board qualifies only to the extent that it is not more than the greater of:

• The allowance for room and board, as determined by the eligible educational institution, that was included in the cost of attendance (for federal financial aid purposes) for a particular academic period and living arrangement of the student, or
  • The actual amount charged if the student is residing in housing owned or operated by the eligible educational institution."

The problem seems to be that I am not paying USUHS, but outside car rental and hotel vendors.

4th year has been pretty expensive as only one interview rotation (without car, so paid for car), EM, neurology, and anesthesia are paid for (only 1/3 the year).

I am looking to minimize my out of pocket costs, which are greater than $10,000 at this point.

Any other advice?

Student Loan Interest Deduction must have an accompanying 1098.

Being a USUHS student you are an employee with a W2, therefore, you can itemize and write off unreimbursed" qualified business expenses/travel exceeding the specified AGI threshold.

"disclaimer" I'm not a tax attorney.

Ah, I see. So if filing married jointly it's not worth it to itemize under $12,700. So about equal.

Bummer.

Thank you.