UT Austin or UF?

Mphuynh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am new to SDN, however I have been reading through old threads about both UT Austin and UF yet still can not make up my mind as to which school I would like to attend for my undergrad. I currently live in Florida and have visited UF's campus already. From the visit, I wouldn't mind attending there, but I do prefer the big city aspect that Austin has to offer. But I am uncertain if UT Austin is as good of a school as UF. I am premed and will be looking into finishing my undergrad studying either biochem or molecular biology. Thank you for all your inputs!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone! I am new to SDN, however I have been reading through old threads about both UT Austin and UF yet still can not make up my mind as to which school I would like to attend for my undergrad. I currently live in Florida and have visited UF's campus already. From the visit, I wouldn't mind attending there, but I do prefer the big city aspect that Austin has to offer. But I am uncertain if UT Austin is as good of a school as UF. I am premed and will be looking into finishing my undergrad studying either biochem or molecular biology. Thank you for all your inputs!

Way to follow instructions.

Look, this is how it is. Ill tell you the same thing I tell everyone. Go to UT if you can become a resident of Texas. It will increase your chances of getting into medical school because Texas medical schools by law are mandated to accept 90% of their students from in-state. x6 medical schools = a lot of opportunity.

PM me if you want more info about UT but I did have friend who transferred from UF to UT and he like UT way more than UF.

As an Aggie, as much as it pains me to say this, I'd say go to Texas. I'm not saying Texas (the school) is better than UF, but Texas (the state) is better than any other. And by some form of the transitive property, by being in Texas they become better than schools elsewhere.

Seriously though, what slammer said makes sense.

Members don't see this ad :)

Didnt you already post this in the pre allo forum?:thumbdown:

Didnt you already post this in the pre allo forum?:thumbdown:

Thanks for pointing out the obvious. But I tried to delete the other post because I wasn't supposed to post that question in the Allo forum. However, I couldn't figure out how to do it.

-Aggie, Thanks for your input. I'll message you if I have anymore questions about the university to avoid useless comments from others such as the one above.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious. But I tried to delete the other post because I wasn't supposed to post that question in the Allo forum. However, I couldn't figure out how to do it.

-Aggie, Thanks for your input. I'll message you if I have anymore questions about the university to avoid useless comments from others such as the one above.

That thread would have been simply moved to this forum. There wasn't a need for a second thread.

Depends on which state you're a resident of. If you live in Texas, go to UT. If you live in Florida, go to UF. If you're an out-of-state student, you will end up paying more. Both are excellent schools, although my knowledge on UF is limited since I'm a Texas resident. However, UT does have its pros and cons. From what I've heard, there are too many kids and not enough classes. Be prepared for large class sizes and not being able to register for the class you want since there are so many other kids. Even so, UT has a vibrant student life and a variety of activities for you to get involved in.

Also, Pre-Med programs are relatively the same wherever you go. You'll have essentially the same class requirements as everyone else in the nation. So don't be fooled into thinking I'll be able to get into med school easier by going to X since it sounds more prestigious.

Go to Florida. Texas is better.

Will going to UT or TAMU one year during undergrad let you qualify for in-state tuition?

Will going to UT or TAMU one year during undergrad let you qualify for in-state tuition?

Yes, my old med sch buddy from NJ established residency by spending a year working in the morgue at UT Houston.
He earned some money that year; and saved a lot when he became a resident in regard to In-state vs. Out of state tuition.

The other option is to work in a research lab. You also earn some money, get published (research is highly regarded/necessary), and hopefully, nice letters. You may also be able to sit in on Med sch lectures if you have that at your disposal.
Money earned, TX state Resident Status, In-state med sch preference/success (90% student population are instate in each class by law, and instate tuition.)
Good Luck.
:laugh: :smuggrin: :love:

I think UF is a great school, having gone here for both undergrad and professional school. I also applied for UT @ Austin (for pharmacy) as it is a highly respected program, as I'm sure it's medical program is as well.

I just wanted to let you know that if you WANT to go to UF for medical school the best thing you can do is go here for undergrad. In pharmacy school it gave you such an upperhand when applying.

It is in a small city, and it can get boring fast. But honestly, as pre-med/med, you're not going to have all this free time on your hand to play around with.

Basically, where you want to REALLY go for professional school go there for undergrad.