UT Austin

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Has any former UT student on here double majored? I'm a little confused as to how I fulfill the core if I double major in a College of Natural Sciences major and College of Liberal Arts major. I believe that the core is fulfilled in different ways depending on which college you graduate from (correct me if I'm wrong), so what would I have to do if I major in one from each college?

Thanks in advance!

At A&M classes can get counted for multiple requirements, sometimes for two Texas core curriculum requirements, or for your major as well as the core, etc. Also, you can always spend an extra year in undergrad, take a victory lap.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can justify how it'll make you a better physician in your personal statement, then go for it. Otherwise, med schools tend to like applicants that have some scope to their education. They love liberal arts majors as long as they can prove they're still good at the sciences and they do good on the MCAT. It would be better in my opinion to do average in bio and on the MCAT than to do great as a liberal arts major and bomb the mcat or do average in your pre-reqs. But if you do great in liberal arts and own the MCAt, that would be the best for admissions sake, probably. But will it make you a better doctor in the long run, or a better person?

*The above is just my opinion on what I think med schools like

Look into statistics over calculus.

Go to office hours often, ask lots of questions, but not stupid questions, sit in the front row, and do research for them, and you shouldn't have a hard time getting LORs.

finished at UT Austin this December in 3.5 years with a degree in neurobio. Feel free to PM me if you want to ask any specific questions. I feel I have done reasonably well with acceptances to all Texas schools and 1 top 10 school.

Hi, Read your post sometime back and wanted some guidance for my son who is completing high school next year, aiming for UT Austin and eventually want to become a doctor. He is 2nd rank in high school, 4.0 unweighted GPA and many APs. Wanted to know what Major/school to choose in UT. Heard deans scholars has a 100% admission rate in texas medical college. Will that be the aim or any other suggestion, basically what to select in UT austin with the vision to get into medical. appreciate your help....He is interested in neuroscience (with aim for neurosurgeon or neurologist), hence wanted to know from your experiences a major he can aim at.

One con would be the fact that the football team is pretty crappy nowadays :)
if you're going there, the con is that people hate your sports team, and it isnt for winning. Its for being egocentric **** that piss off everyone.

/Grad of a big 12 school

Thanks UT for screwing up everything (minus running off aggies, that was fine).