UT - Houston Interview anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pluginchugin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDNers,

I recently got an interview invite to UT Houston and I was wondering if anyone could give me any heads up on what kinds of questions they will be asking or if there were any suddenly surprises I should watch out for?

I know there's an interview section on this website but its been quite a while since anyone's updated it.

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed there last year, but to my knowledge, the interview day is still the same. Everyone meets in a room to watch a presentation about the dental branch and the medical center. Then there is a financial aid presentation, then a research presentation. Half the group will have their interviews while the oter half goes on a tour with Dr. Pierpont. Then you switch. The interview is 1-on-1 for 45 minutes to an hour. They have a sheet of the same prepared questions that they ask everyone, and then you just talk about whatever you want to talk about. Bring questions! Have something that you want to talk about, whether it be your shadowing experiences, your personal statement, a "flaw" in your application, etc. Be sure to have questions to ask the students during lunch. There were several students from all four classes that came to talk to us. Overall, the experience is pretty laid back.

Hi SDNers,

I recently got an interview invite to UT Houston and I was wondering if anyone could give me any heads up on what kinds of questions they will be asking or if there were any suddenly surprises I should watch out for?

I know there's an interview section on this website but its been quite a while since anyone's updated it.

when did you applied?
i have applied in mid-september and still waiting...

Members don't see this ad :)
My biggest advice I can give you about the interviewing there as well as most places, BE YOURSELF!!! There are the typical questions they ask about yourself at the Housotninterviews that they are required to ask, but it really is a relaxed Q&A session. Be yourself. They aren't there to grill you. They just want to know who you are and why you really want to be there. Don't try to BS them because they have bee doing this for years and can tell the BSers from those who are just laying it all out on the table. Enjoy your time with Dr. Pierpont. He really is as nice and sincere as he seems when you meet him.

I don't agree completely with this, though I don't completely disagree either. When I went on endo residency interviews everyone said "just be yourself". In hindsight, I realize that only works for half the people. Keep in mind what the schools are looking for: friendly, gets along well with others, can contribute to the school, good academic record, etc. Just about every question that is asked, even the innocent sounding ones, says something about you that the interviewer will either directly or indirectly assess about you. So, should you just be yourself? That depends on if you fit the school's criteria. If you don't, then you want to project a different image. Now, I'm not saying to flat out lie.

Let me give an example. I was asked what I like to do for fun by every school I went to. One of the things I said was that my wife and I like to go hiking. I was told later on that this says I get along well with my wife but is otherwise a solitary hobby. It says that I do not like to interact with others, but keep to myself and my wife. So if I had to answer it again I would have chosen hobbies that I truly enjoy along with hobbies I sometimes do but that are "team" oriented.

Just keep in mind what your answer says about you before you answer. But... all of this goes out the window during the interview. I was so nervous that I forgot all of my "prepared" answers! Don't worry though. It'll work out in the end.

I just interviewed at UT-H. You'll have 2 30 min interviews with what seem like faculty members that are tailored toward your interests (if you stated any in your primary app). I had a pediatrician and a med-ped (I want to be a pedi).

Both interviews were very conversational. The "hardest" questions I got were medical: "what is the difference between a neonate and an infant?" and "where would be the best place to deliver nutrients/O2 to a neonate?". I got them both right so I was riding high. And of course be able to talk about why you want to be a physician.

This school is fantastic in my opinion. The facilities you get to use are second to none and the closeness and collegiality of the students is great. Don't worry too much about UT-H and just enjoy your day. Hopefully you will get to see an open-heart surgery like we did. :D

I just interviewed at UT-H. You'll have 2 30 min interviews with what seem like faculty members that are tailored toward your interests (if you stated any in your primary app). I had a pediatrician and a med-ped (I want to be a pedi).

Both interviews were very conversational. The "hardest" questions I got were medical: "what is the difference between a neonate and an infant?" and "where would be the best place to deliver nutrients/O2 to a neonate?". I got them both right so I was riding high. And of course be able to talk about why you want to be a physician.

This school is fantastic in my opinion. The facilities you get to use are second to none and the closeness and collegiality of the students is great. Don't worry too much about UT-H and just enjoy your day. Hopefully you will get to see an open-heart surgery like we did. :D

haha thanks but I think you are referring to Medical school huh? hah i meant for dental school. but thanks! also wow hope you get in. =)

when did you applied?
i have applied in mid-september and still waiting...

yea I applied during early september. No worries tho im sure theres still plenty of interview spots still.

At Houston, what I said applies. I know most of the interviewers. They are just trying to get to know you. If you have absolutely no personality or you are a Marilyn Manson clone, then maybe you will have to change what you say and how you act. Otherwise, be yourself and answer the questions truthfully. In my opinion, don't try to go into your interview with "prepared" answers because if you get nervous it is very easy to forget them or part of them where you wil sound bad at the interview. Rely on who who you are and answer from the heart.

I'm guessing that you attend UT Houston? I'll be an endo resident there starting next year. I must have done something right during my interview there! I still believe it's important to answer questions the "right" way. The interviewers are trying to get to know you, but they're forming an impression based on what you say, whether directly or inadvertently. Someone who can articulate themselves well will make a better impression than someone who didn't plan it out. Think about the application. Did you just write like you would an email so that you can be yourself, or did you edit and re-edit and edit some more to present the best "you" possible? Why should the interview be different? See ya next year in Houston.

Any more ppl who interviewed at Houston dent who remember the questions asked? :)

Sorry if this was addressed before, but do you get a call from an unknown number then an email? I have a slew of missed unknown callers from mid-september 2015 and now I'm worried. I didn't think they'd be unknown and I've had bad past experiences with those numbers before.

Sorry if this was addressed before, but do you get a call from an unknown number then an email? I have a slew of missed unknown callers from mid-september 2015 and now I'm worried. I didn't think they'd be unknown and I've had bad past experiences with those numbers before.
The Texas schools send out interview invites by email, not phone calls.

Thank you EasTexan :bow:! Though I had TCOM call me from an unknown number. Guess they would have left a voicemail if it was important though. Just stress causing me to lose all common sense

The Texas schools send out interview invites by email, not phone calls.
Thank you EasTexan :bow:! Though I had TCOM call me from an unknown number. Guess they would have left a voicemail if it was important though. Just stress causing me to lose all common sense

I don't think so.. You mean notification for an interview? Just an email

Oh, well in that case you must be a medical applicant? I have no idea if they call. Didn't matching just start for medical applicants? So I guess they could be giving out calls for acceptances.

Dunno, this is the pre-dental forum.

Reactions: 1 users
I just finished interview with them this Tuesday. Just think about why do you want to be a dentist and tell them a little about yourself. In my opinion, you have to be yourself and prepare because you don't have enough time to tell them all about you, pick what you think interest them the best. You definitely don't what to be in I-wish-I-told-them-that situation. If you make it up, make sure that it fits the rest of the answers or they will know that you are lying.
Edit: I feel so stupid. He/She is probably a doctor right now :|

Last edited:
I just finished interview with them this Tuesday. Just think about why do you want to be a dentist and tell them a little about yourself. In my opinion, you have to be yourself and prepare because you don't have enough time to tell them all about you, pick what you think interest them the best. You definitely don't what to be in I-wish-I-told-them-that situation. If you make it up, make sure that it fits the rest of the answers or they will know that you are lying.
Edit: I feel so stupid. He/She is probably a doctor right now :|

Haha. Don't feel stupid. I appreciate your answer!!