UT houston interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smileyfaceschoolkid

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone on here apply to UT Houston with a low GPA and actually get interviewed based off their personal statements, curriculum? I've spoke to Dr. Galindo before and I was told GPA Wasn't the only factor for them, but I just want to know how realistic that is? I have an overall of 3.3.

Members don't see this ad.

It won't be solely based on PS if your GPA is below average. How'd you do on DAT? How are your ECs?
I'm sure there are people who got interviews based on PS and ECs carrying them over their academic stats, but it is a hurdle to pass and the interview was probably very important for them in order to get an acceptance.

I take my DAT this month. :) I have a couple research experience, I have a leadership role in an organization I am, I have 200+ shadowing and volunteering hours. I am also a tutor. Thank you for the info! I was just curious if I actually might have a chance. :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I take my DAT this month. :) I have a couple research experience, I have a leadership role in an organization I am, I have 200+ shadowing and volunteering hours. I am also a tutor. Thank you for the info! I was just curious if I actually might have a chance. :)

Your ECs look solid. A 3.3 isn't terrible, but it is below acceptance averages. Do well on the DAT and I think you'd have a good shot at an interview.

Really?! You think so? I really hope so!!! I've lost some hope because of all the students I hear getting 3.7+'s and not getting in and all. So I spent months writing my PS trying to "stand out" I just hope something good comes this cycle. :)

Really?! You think so? I really hope so!!! I've lost some hope because of all the students I hear getting 3.7+'s and not getting in and all. So I spent months writing my PS trying to "stand out" I just hope something good comes this cycle. :)

Acceptance isn't based solely on GPA. I've heard of cases where students with 3.8-4.0 didn't get into some schools simply because they didn't have any ECs/Volunteering

Definitely true. But someone recently told me they don't look at any applicant below a 3.5 based off of the applicant pool and trying to narrow it down so I was extremely worried that all my hard work behind my PS was going to go to waste. Idk, I didn't believe it at first but then I realized maybe it's true and that's the only way they can narrow it down. Do you think the schools actually look at ALL applicants?

You should snoop around past forums to get a more accurate picture of what kind of stats they're looking for.
I know of people that got into Houston with sub-par DAT's but their GPA's were pretty good. Houstons incoming D1 GPA/DAT scores also supports this.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...20-interview-acceptance-thread.1145443/page-2
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/tmdsas-2016.1134412/

Even if you have a GPA on the lower side I wouldn't worry about it too much. There really isn't anything you can do about it now. Just focus on doing well on the DAT.