UT Houston vs. MCWI --head to head!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thepassageofgas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm so grateful for all the feedback I've been reading with regard to comparing various programs out there. I was wondering if I could get some thoughts from anyone on these two programs-- Pros and Cons?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at both- UT Houston FTW.

Loved UTH, no identifiable weaknesses. If you want to live in a big warm city, this is an awesome place. Only downside is the base pay, but they have great moonlighting. Housing is cheap, if you want to buy, and there is no state income tax. Memorial Hermann, MD Anderson, Texas Heart, and Texas Children's are sweet hospitals. Dept chair is an international airway expert and super nice. Neuro ICU is managed by anesthesia. HUGE volume of trauma- 6 helicopters, 3500 flights/year.

MCW on the other hand has fantastic base pay with good moonlighting. Strong peds, weak cardiac. Strong commitment to education. Great place for research.

Loved UTH, no identifiable weaknesses. If you want to live in a big warm city, this is an awesome place. Only downside is the base pay, but they have great moonlighting. Housing is cheap, if you want to buy, and there is no state income tax. Memorial Hermann, MD Anderson, Texas Heart, and Texas Children's are sweet hospitals. Dept chair is an international airway expert and super nice. Neuro ICU is managed by anesthesia. HUGE volume of trauma- 6 helicopters, 3500 flights/year.

MCW on the other hand has fantastic base pay with good moonlighting. Strong peds, weak cardiac. Strong commitment to education. Great place for research.

MCW very strong pedi-cardiac

Texas Heart and Texas Children's are Baylor's, not UT Houston. UT Houston does not rotate at those two institutions. It also seems like Baylor has a better de facto training experience at MD Anderson than UT does (even though MD Anderson is part of UT).

Texas Heart and Texas Children's are Baylor's, not UT Houston. UT Houston does not rotate at those two institutions. It also seems like Baylor has a better de facto training experience at MD Anderson than UT does (even though MD Anderson is part of UT).

You rotate at those institutions with your elective time..

You rotate at those institutions with your elective time..

+1. UT Houston does rotate at THI, TCH, and MD Anderson.

+1. UT Houston does rotate at THI, TCH, and MD Anderson.

They need to talk about that more then, at the interview and on the website there was no mention of that. Baylor does have a more bona-fide affiliation with THI and TCH, regardless. Plus the fellowships there are Baylor's. For me at least, that's a major draw.

They need to talk about that more then, at the interview and on the website there was no mention of that. Baylor does have a more bona-fide affiliation with THI and TCH, regardless. Plus the fellowships there are Baylor's. For me at least, that's a major draw.

As others have mentioned already, the first quote is 100% incorrect. Every part of it.

If you want to do CT, by all means, the backdoor to THI is through BCM. That might be enough draw in itself. TCH has one of the best if not the best peds fellowships too. But realize that across the street at HVI and CMHH there are UT fellowships in CT and Pedi respectively.

But one month of elective SICU rotation at MDA as a Baylor resident does not a residency make. MDA is part of UTH's crit care fellowship...hence Botz. The CA3's also rotate through anderson on a thoracic month in addition to whatever electives they choose...on the same rotation as the THI fellows, by the way.

Either way, both residencies have great access at great institutions, it just seems [as others have pointed out] that you had a pretty skewed perspective of the lay of the land in Houston. And if people search the forum next year for either residency, it's best to have factual information rather than the interview koolaid.

As others have mentioned already, the first quote is 100% incorrect. Every part of it.

If you want to do CT, by all means, the backdoor to THI is through BCM. That might be enough draw in itself. TCH has one of the best if not the best peds fellowships too. But realize that across the street at HVI and CMHH there are UT fellowships in CT and Pedi respectively.

But one month of elective SICU rotation at MDA as a Baylor resident does not a residency make. MDA is part of UTH's crit care fellowship...hence Botz. The CA3's also rotate through anderson on a thoracic month in addition to whatever electives they choose...on the same rotation as the THI fellows, by the way.

Either way, both residencies have great access at great institutions, it just seems [as others have pointed out] that you had a pretty skewed perspective of the lay of the land in Houston. And if people search the forum next year for either residency, it's best to have factual information rather than the interview koolaid.

I agree that both places are essentially strong places to train. Perhaps I should clarify: In my experience I found that Baylor had better ITE and board exam performance, stronger affiliations with nationally top ranked institutions with fellowships that I was interested in pursuing (Cards or Peds), more ABA oral board examiners, higher ACGME cycle status, and friendly faculty & residents who didn't seem overworked as much as the UT residents were. That, plus I think the Baylor name carries more weight nationally (important for someone who may want to move elsewhere after training).

At UT, there was a lot of bragging and trash talking about other programs (including Baylor and others). Both the faculty and residents seemed like they had an inferiority complex given how much they tried to convince me that they were better than Baylor. At Baylor, UT was not mentioned even once. I thought that was telling, and frankly off-putting. Their major selling points seemed to be that they were clinically superior (every program claims this), and that residents from UT were more desired by the job market in the Houston area (perhaps this is true, not sure, but there are other threads for that). Plus, the moonlighting.

UT seemed like they were a good and improving program but just didn't have the edge in the areas I found important (academic performance, didactics, fellowships, influential faculty, accreditation status, work/life balance) vs. Baylor. Needless to say, but these were my impressions and should be taken by future readers with a grain of salt based on what is important to them.

Both places are good, but for me, Baylor was better.

Sorry to sidetrack the discussion! Sorta snowballed.

Are you done talking about how much you love Baylor in a UT Houston vs. MCW thread now?

I was, actually, if you had read the end of my last post you would have known that. Thanks for the reminder though!

UT Houston's board pass rate was 20/21 last year. They now have a 4 year ABA accreditation.

Also as a side note, they support and employ AAs, not CRNAs, which is awesome.

Reactions: 1 user

I heard a lot of changes have occured at UT Houston and Baylor that are no good for residents. Houston in general although a big city is probably the least popular compaired to Dallas, SanANtonio, and Galveston. I know very well about the UT H program and can tell you it is a risk going there.
Since then teaching has decreased, the amount of didactics has decreased. Intraoperative teaching is almost nil and is going the wrong direction. The staff are nice and the other residents great but boy if you screw up even just once they will be gunning to kick you out. But hey now dont worry because the new PD just decreased the Academic Requrements....Thats because they teach so little and so many residents do so POORly on the ITE/AKT that they dont want to deal with it anymore.

Hi all,

I'm so grateful for all the feedback I've been reading with regard to comparing various programs out there. I was wondering if I could get some thoughts from anyone on these two programs-- Pros and Cons?

Thanks!

I heard a lot of changes have occured at UT Houston and Baylor that are no good for residents. Houston in general although a big city is probably the least popular compaired to Dallas, SanANtonio, and Galveston. I know very well about the UT H program and can tell you it is a risk going there. Intraoperative teaching is almost nil and is going the wrong direction. The staff are nice and the other residents great but boy if you screw up even just once they will be gunning to kick you out. But hey now dont worry because the new PD just decreased the Academic Requrements....Thats because they teach so little and so many residents do so POORly on the ITE/AKT that they dont want to deal with it anymore. Since the last PD left.. one of the few faculty who cared; there is no one to take care of residents who cant teach themselves.

Hi all,

Thanks!

UT Houston Resident here: I'm happy to answer some basic questions.
1) New program director - AMAZING. Absolutely love him. He was a resident at our program a while back, so he knows the ins and outs, what works, what doesn't. Very family oriented, cares for his residents and really advocates for us. I couldn't ask for a better program director.
2) We do rotate at Texas Heart, Texas Children's, MD Anderson.
3) We have organized lectures and plenty of time to study. I did a medicine intern year and find my hours are much better now as an anesthesia resident.
4) We have AA's in our program who are great - give us relief to go home and study or have a life.

I will agree that we work pretty hard and we see some pretty sick people, but it's always with a very strong support system in place. Feel free to PM me with any questions and I'll be happy to answer them.

I heard a lot of changes have occured at UT Houston and Baylor that are no good for residents. Houston in general although a big city is probably the least popular compaired to Dallas, SanANtonio, and Galveston. I know very well about the UT H program and can tell you it is a risk going there. Intraoperative teaching is almost nil and is going the wrong direction. The staff are nice and the other residents great but boy if you screw up even just once they will be gunning to kick you out. But hey now dont worry because the new PD just decreased the Academic Requrements....Thats because they teach so little and so many residents do so POORly on the ITE/AKT that they dont want to deal with it anymore. Since the last PD left.. one of the few faculty who cared; there is no one to take care of residents who cant teach themselves.

That's about the fifth time you've copied and pasted this statement in various threads...We get it, you don't like the new change in guard, and would prefer to have the old leadership back. Nonetheless, no need to make unfounded remarks about your own institution. The teaching is pretty poor, as are didactics, but residents still perform well above the national average on ite, and as someone alluded to earlier, our written board pass rate was 20/21 last year. I think this is an attestation to the type of residents we have here. Ones who work hard, but still find time to balance family, friends, and educational responsibilities. Just my two cents.