UT Memphis housing...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

6goldfish

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Firstly, anyone else here UT Memphis class of 2011?
Secondly, does anyone have any opinions on housing in Memphis?
I keep hearing not to live downtown, but I would really like to be able to walk (or run) to campus and Mud Island really doesn't seem like my kind of scene.
Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

UT Memphis class of 2011 here too!

I'm actually going to Memphis next week to attempt to find non-Mud Island housing. If you were at Pharmacy Weekend, the "Compass" guide they gave us had a great section on housing, which is pretty much where I started.....

Ummm, yeah, I didn't have 80 dollars and a weekend making money to lose to go to pharmacy weekend....which is why I need I also need a non-mud island apartment.

So, if you have any tips you wouldn't mind sharing on some non-mud-island-but-still-close-to-school-and-doesnt-have-spiders-or-creepy-guys-with-no-shirts-apartments, it would be really cool if you could post them or tell me in some way.

I plan on going to Memphis on the 19th to check it out because the internet has not been very helpful.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im not going to UTMem until fall next year, but I would also like to know where to look for housing. I have a friend who lives in cordova,tn outside of memphis, she says its nice out there and not too expensive, but I would rather be close to campus, at least for the first year.

I did like the midtown area last time i went to memphis for my interview. I think they have some apartments/houses for rent and some ut students live in that area.

Mud Island is nice but cost too much.

If you're looking for an apartment, I would suggest looking at apartment ratings.com. Many of the complexes are filling up now for August move-in dates, especially the ones near campus. I actually signed a 6 month lease at Uptown Square (I'm moving in a week to start the PharmD/PhD program), but am adding myself to a waiting list at Jefferson Place, where I could ideally move over Christmas.

I'm a P2 at UT in Memphis. I live at The Bristol on Union -- really close to campus (about 5 blocks) -- it's really close an convenient. It's a gated community, great pool, great gym -- very nice. It's a little expensive (but most this in Memphis are) but it's been good for me. I'll be going to Knoxville campus in the fall to finish my pharmacy degree. There are some other good places to live closer to campus.

This area of Memphis can be a bit rough. If you go out at night, go in groups and don't give money to panhandlers. Be careful but get out an explore Memphis.

A little off the subject, but I like to run. Are there any indoor tracks in any of the gyms in Memphis? There's one here at MTSU, but the gym I saw on campus only has treadmills. :(

Hey everyone!

I am class of 2001 pharm. I just bought a house on Mud Island and I am looking for a roommate for next year. Preferrably another girl. It is a 3 bedroom home, so you would have a private bed and bathroom. I figured we could use the third room as an office/study. Let me know if you are interested and I will give you more details. :)