UT Memphis Late Interview/ ADVICE!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skygarner

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!
So I am from Arkansas and I applied for the upcoming Dental Class of 2017. I didn't have a great DAT score but I applied anyway just so I could be a re-applicant next year.

So I decided to re-take my DAT this January and improved my scores majorly. One of my professors encouraged me to e-mail Dr. Covington and inform him about my improvement since my DAT score was the only portion of my application that was lacking. So I e-mailed him on Jan 15, 2013 and to my surprise he responded saying that I had made a nice improvement and that they may still want to interview me. He wanted me to send last semester's grades to him and I did.

DAT 19AA/17TS/ 22 reading comp./ 22 PAT

So I got a call from him last week saying that he wanted to select me for an interview. I was thrilled and said of course! So I have an interview on Friday, Feb 8, 2013. I am just curious if anyone has had this happen to them or if they know someone it has happened to? I am wondering if I still have a chance for acceptance this cycle. I just don't see why he would waste his time interviewing me if he were not interested and had the class full already. I cant help but wonder if he is interviewing me for a spot on the waiting list or if I could jump ahead of the waiting list and be accepted?

Any thoughts or advice would be so helpful!
Thank you! :)

Members don't see this ad.

UT wouldn't be holding more interviews if the class was already full so I think it's a good sign. I'm going to UT next year and I had a similar experience with Dr. Covington with a pre-Dec. interview. I had an average DAT and did a retake and he fit me in towards the end of Nov. and was accepted Dec 3. Good luck with everything and congratulations on getting an interview.

You seriously just gave me some hope! Thanks for sharing your experience! That is awesome! Congratulations on your acceptance!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations on the interview!

Though, I don't mean to burst your bubble, but this late in the cycle the first class may well be filled. Be prepared for this possibility. However, there is hope as "shake down" that happens when students give up their multiple accepts is still in full swing, so interviewing for the wait-list is not the end of the world. Don't let this phase you, prepare and do your good thing at the interview and you'll be fine. When you are on the waitlist, every point you score in your interview counts big time... it can mean a huge difference as to making it into the class or not, so definitely put on your best. Also, if you are waitlisted, work your alumni connections. Many dental schools are very interested in hearing alum voices about candidates who are "on the bubble". Anyone you know who has graduated from their program can write an additional letter of support and get you a little extra attention. Good luck! :)

Thank you for your advice! I will do my best and hope for the best!