UT Memphis vs Mercer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DSTined2Pharm9

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand the final decision is up to me on where I will be attending, but is there anybody who can help me make the better choice? I am all about experience, as well as a great education . They are both well- known and highly ranked institutions, but what really sets them apart, besides location? Thanks in advanced! :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I understand the final decision is up to me on where I will be attending, but is there anybody who can help me make the better choice? I am all about experience, as well as a great education . They are both well- known and highly ranked institutions, but what really sets them apart, besides location? Thanks in advanced! :confused:

Like you said, they're both great schools, but one thing that could really set UT Memphis apart from Mercer is the cost of in-state tuition if you are a resident of Tennessee.

I agree...tuition is a big difference between the two schools. UT's tuition is about 20k per year for in-state students while Mercer's tuition is about 30K. The one thing I like about UT is they have 2.5 years of courswork and 1.5 years of rotations vs Mercer who has 3 years of coursework and 1 year of rotations. However, because of this, UT's program is slightly more advanced or fast paced to compensate for having one semester less of coursework. I'm not sure about UT, but I know Mercer is on block schedule, so some of the classes may last a few weeks while others will last the entire semester. I hope this information helps:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree...tuition is a big difference between the two schools. UT's tuition is about 20k per year for in-state students while Mercer's tuition is about 30K. The one thing I like about UT is they have 2.5 years of courswork and 1.5 years of rotations vs Mercer who has 3 years of coursework and 1 year of rotations. However, because of this, UT's program is slightly more advanced or fast paced to compensate for having one semester less of coursework. I'm not sure about UT, but I know Mercer is on block schedule, so some of the classes may last a few weeks while others will last the entire semester. I hope this information helps:)

Hi!! First, I would like to congratulate you on your acceptance into Mercer's program! Yeah, I was looking at that, as well. I dont think UT is on block schedule, but I am aware of a few changes that started this academic year, like how they're testing the students. Decisions..... Decisions...lol If you don't mind me asking, why did you choose Mercer?

Hi!! First, I would like to congratulate you on your acceptance into Mercer's program! Yeah, I was looking at that, as well. I dont think UT is on block schedule, but I am aware of a few changes that started this academic year, like how they're testing the students. Decisions..... Decisions...lol If you don't mind me asking, why did you choose Mercer?

Thank you!!! Actually, up until a few months ago I was living in Memphis, so UT was always my first choice because I didn't want to move unless I had no choice...However, Mercer was always on my list of schools to apply to! But in June my husband was given the opportunity to transfer his job to Atlanta, so applied for early decision with Mercer and got in:)

Could you explain what you mean by block schedule? How is this different for other schools? Where did you find this information? I'm trying to figure out between Mercer and GRU in Georgia. Thanks in advance!!

Could you explain what you mean by block schedule? How is this different for other schools? Where did you find this information? I'm trying to figure out between Mercer and GRU in Georgia. Thanks in advance!!

All of the therapeutics courses at Mercer only last 4-6 weeks. You may start a course in August which ends in September, whereas most schools courses will last the entire semester. Therefore, you have to retain more information in a short period of time because there are exams every week (usually Monday). For example, our cardio and renal courses were broken into three classes. We had Cardio/Renal I, II and III during the spring semester of our P2 year. So each course was about 5 weeks long and of course the material builds on each other. So you have to understand Cardio/Renal I in order to do well in Cardio/Renal II, etc.