UT-Memphis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waker433

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone heard from UT-Memphis?

Members don't see this ad.

waker433 said:
Anyone heard from UT-Memphis?

I applied to UT in early august and right away heard back about an interview, but was surprised because it was on Dec. 17th. I'm a TN resident with a good DAT and GPA and my stepfather, a local dentist in Memphis, knows about 75% of the selection committee personally, so its almost a guarantee. I'm not sure why they offered me such a late interview. Anyway, I won't hear back until after the interview. Let me know if you hear anything.

i havent heard anything from them about an interview or anything even. my application is complete.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got off the phone with the admissions office and the admissions committee is meeting on Dec. 9. So apparently they have sent no acceptances out yet. Looks like we have to wait a few more weeks.

they're later than most schools on making decisions. Just give it time.

CJWolf said:
they're later than most schools on making decisions. Just give it time.

Would there be any advantages to a dental school for it to wait in sending out initial acceptances?

ScottW3 said:
I applied to UT in early august and right away heard back about an interview, but was surprised because it was on Dec. 17th. I'm a TN resident with a good DAT and GPA and my stepfather, a local dentist in Memphis, knows about 75% of the selection committee personally, so its almost a guarantee. I'm not sure why they offered me such a late interview. Anyway, I won't hear back until after the interview. Let me know if you hear anything.

Do you know if anyone has had an interview between Aug-Nov?

bryan45876 said:
Do you know if anyone has had an interview between Aug-Nov?

I'm not sure. The letter asking me to come for an interview had three days for me to choose from (all in December). When I called back the first two were full. So I was stuck with Dec. 17th.

ScottW3 said:
I'm not sure. The letter asking me to come for an interview had three days for me to choose from (all in December). When I called back the first two were full. So I was stuck with Dec. 17th.

This is off topic, but I got my free Dell Dimension 3000 desktop computer on Saturday. So it took about 20 days from the time I went to "Sent to Vendor, waiting on product" before I received it. I've also completed the Ipod deal and am currently working on the flatscreen.

I interviewed on October 1. There was 4 interview sessions in October, 1,8,15, and 22. Not sure about November or December.

waker433 said:
I interviewed on October 1. There was 4 interview sessions in October, 1,8,15, and 22. Not sure about November or December.

When did you apply? and are you a TN resident?

I interviewed Oct. 15 and I guess it will be a few more weeks before I hear anything. I'm glad someone called because I've been checking my mail everyday and I've been disappointed. The end of next week will be time for stuff that was sent out to start arriving, don't you think? Surely they will send out at least something before too long.

Talia

bryan45876 said:
This is off topic, but I got my free Dell Dimension 3000 desktop computer on Saturday. So it took about 20 days from the time I went to "Sent to Vendor, waiting on product" before I received it. I've also completed the Ipod deal and am currently working on the flatscreen.

Am I lost? What in the world are you talking about?

So has anyone heard anything or called the school yet?

How many of you out there have already interviewed at UT Memphis?

musiq said:
Am I lost? What in the world are you talking about?

he did the myfreeipod.com thing and freedesktop thing. and so did scottw3

on another note, if anyone's gonna be coming to memphis i'll give anyone an unofficial tour if they'd want.

TaliaTN said:
So has anyone heard anything or called the school yet?

How many of you out there have already interviewed at UT Memphis?

I go for my interview this Friday. From what people have told me a question that always comes up in their interview is about a recent book you have read, like "Name an interesting book you have read recently" or something like that. So be prepared for that. I'll post how it goes.

My questions were:

What do you like to do in your spare time?
What's a recent book you've read?
If you were doing poorly in a class what would you do to help yourself?
What made you pick dentistry?

I think those were the main ones. Nothing too terribly bad.

Hi everyone!

I just joined the forum. I interviewed with UT Memphis on October 8, and I got my letter in the mail today!!! I guess I'll be "walking in Memphis"! :thumbup:

Hey,

I interviewed Oct. 15 and I got my letter in the mail (Knoxville) today also. So CJ Wolf, where do you live? Do you own or rent? How BAD is Memphis, really?

I will start coming to Memphis on weekends to house hunt.... I liked the idea of Cooper Young, but I want to be sure its really safe.

Talia

I live on Mud Island. I'd say 75% of the class lives somewhere around here unless they got a good deal on a house in Midtown. My family's actually from the suburbs of memphis, but I hate a long commute.

Memphis isn't all that bad there's just some areas that aren't too appealing. There's quite a few apartments around here so there's a good variety.

Well, my interview was this past Friday and it went great. It was VERY laid back. I was told that letters would go out in mid-january. Dr. Coleman is awesome! He is the Dean of Student Affairs at UT. In the middle of giving us a tour he got a call on his cell phone and found out his house had been robbed. He was incredibly calm and finished the tour for the next half hour. If it were me I'd run my @$$ home and screw everyone on the tour. Anyway, he said the selection commitee would meet once a month until the deadline.