UT Memphis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BamaJo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone receive an email regarding deficiencies in their application? I did and called the admissions office to ask about them. The woman was quite rude. The email said I needed to take a class, but I am taking it right now. The email was confusing and made it sound as if I would not get an interview until I completed the class and forwarded my new transcript. All other schools seem to be okay if you are taking a required class as you apply. Does anyone have any input on this situation? I hate to think I applied early and it doesn't even matter until the end of this semester.

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone receive an email regarding deficiencies in their application? I did and called the admissions office to ask about them. The woman was quite rude. The email said I needed to take a class, but I am taking it right now. The email was confusing and made it sound as if I would not get an interview until I completed the class and forwarded my new transcript. All other schools seem to be okay if you are taking a required class as you apply. Does anyone have any input on this situation? I hate to think I applied early and it doesn't even matter until the end of this semester.

I received the same email yesterday. Called her this morning and she said i need to turn my transcript in at the end of the semester. I asked "so what's the progress of my application" and she couldn't give me a clear answer. In all honesty I think we are OK. You can call Courtney Ward, just ask to be connected to Courtney, and he can tell you your progress. I spoke to him a couple weeks ago and he said all I have to do now is wait and I should receive a letter in a month or two.

I take it you're from Alabama? I'm from Arkansas.

Hope this helps, and keep me posted.

I also recieved this email... acutally on Saturday. Weird! I called her Monday and explained to her that I had that class cleared with Cortney, and she said that everything was ok then. Very weird. I hope she really meant that.

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone had an interview there? also did all of you applying have 4credit hours of biochem?

Biochem is the class I am taking right now. The bio department here teaches only a 3 hr biochem class in the fall and a 3 hr biochem lab in the spring. I mentioned the class was only 3 hrs, and the lady on the phone was quick to reply it was "ok". I felt the conversation was very vague. If anyone finds out any different please post something.

Holy cow! I just got my interview letter today in the mail. And yes, I took 4 hours of biochemistry. Does anyone know how many people they interview? Or the percentage?

Thanks now I just have to get accepted :)

when did you guys finalize your application?

edit:

alright i just got off the phone with Mrs. Webber and she said we are ok. We can still receive letters for an interview while we are in biochem. We just have to submit our transcript following completion of the class.

good luck guys :)

well, just got my interview invitation in the mail. w00t.

:)

How are they regarding out-of-state applicants. Would I have a chance if I just now submitted my application?

Did you guys submit your V/S forms from all the dentists you shadowed before you received a letter?

yes I had my app completed before getting my interview. what are all your stats? how many people do they interview? is it 50% of applicants? more? less?

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone heard anything lately?

I haven't. But it looks like I have some V/S forms to complete. Even for the dentists I only shadowed once.

I was told that you only need to submit the V/S form to prove you shadowed for at least 30 hours. So I submitted one from the dentist I worked for which covered over 100 hrs, but didn't submit one from each of the 6-7 dentists I shadowed. My recommendation is to submit one or two v/s forms from dentists you shadowed regularly to fulfill this 30 hrs requirement. Btw, I received an interview invite over a month ago. Wish me luck.

Best of luck!! When is your interview? What are your stats?

Does anyone know what UT interviews are like? Is it relaxed? What kind of questions do they ask?

when did you guys schedule your interview?

Scheduled mine for Oct 26th.

Does anyone know what UT interviews are like? Is it relaxed? What kind of questions do they ask?

i've heard that it is really relaxed. Just basic questions, such as "why do you want to be a dentist". No curveballs. They'll probably ask questions specific to you, that they get from your personal statement. Such as "why did you shadow an oral surgeon" or "why are you applying early" etc.

Are you going to bring your spouse, friend and/or parent, as suggested? If so, what should they wear? Do they need to be in interview attire (suits) as well?

they say you should bring someone with you?

In the letter it states: "You are invited to bring your spouse, intended, parents, or other students interested in dentistry to enjoy the day with you." I thought it was weird, so I actually called the school Friday to confirm, and she said yes we encourage you to bring people. Of course during the actual interview, you're solo, but still weird right? It must be a really relaxed deal. I am just wondering how they should dress. I guess a suit won't hurt.

i guess thats kind of sweet, the person or people you bring might have a calming effect on you. maybe they tell you to bring someone like that cuz the interview is intense and hard as hell. haha

i guess thats kind of sweet, the person or people you bring might have a calming effect on you. maybe they tell you to bring someone like that cuz the interview is intense and hard as hell. haha

maybe you're right. i sure hope not. fingers crossed. i don't even know if i want my fam with me. i think it may make me more nervous, but i'd hate to be the only one without support. hmm...

hey you have my support, and the support of the future world series champs Boston Redsox

i'll probably have my parents with me. I know a few students that attend there, so i'll probably hang out with them a little too.

i'll probably have my parents with me. I know a few students that attend there, so i'll probably hang out with them a little too.

will your parents be dressed up in suits too?

hmmm, i dunno man. I guess i need to call and check. I would think something that they would wear to church would be ok. Like slacks and a polo, or button down w/tie.

to be safe i will have my hubby wear a suit - poor him