UT-San Antonio on probation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PlayUltimate15

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/lo...nio-s-medical-school-on-probation-2222609.php

I don't have a well-devloped big picture understanding of the probation/accreditation process. I'm wondering how often this happens with US medical schools? I read about the recent loss of accreditation by Juan Bautista, but UT-SA is not an off-shore school. They will most likely fix their problems and be fine, right? Just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

The 11 deficiencies fell into three broad categories. In the first, the LCME said the training of first- and second-year medical students has been too focused on lectures, rather than self-study and problem-solving skills. The medical school curriculum is being redesigned to address those concerns.

Secondly, medical students are taught basic science courses by faculty who report to the dean of the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, rather than the medical school dean. Beginning in September, about 170 department heads and faculty members have been reassigned to the medical school. The duties of the graduate school dean will change.

Finally, the LCME felt the medical school curriculum lacked central management. That too is being addressed, González said.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I can't believe how similar that sounds to my DO school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seems like these problems should be relatively easy to fix--curriculum changes and restructuring of the faculty. I think problems with the clinical education or clinical facilities (like SJB) would be a much harder (and more expensive) to correct.

I seem to remember students complaining about 9-5 classes when I interviewed, students will probably be happier with the LCME forcing the school to make a curriculum change. What do the current San Antonio students think?

The new curriculum starts with the class of 2016 matriculating August 2012. It just wasn't finalized in time for the LCME assessment this past February.

The new curriculum looks pretty good, combining the first two years of material into a series of organ modules, so they will learn the anatomy, biochem, physiology, pathology, pharm, clinical science, and physical exam skills all within a few weeks, before moving onto the next organ module. There will still be winter break 1st year, 8wks off for summer and then another winter break 2nd year. Classes end in the middle of march 2nd year for Step1 studying, and 3rd year starts beginning of June.

The current curriculum does organ systems as well, but we did all the organ modules first year with anatomy, biochem, physio, histo, neuro, physical exam etc. and now we're re-doing the same organ modules second year but with path, pharm, clinical science and advanced physical exam and diagnosis techniques. I agree with the passivity of the pre-clinical learning (except for the physical exam classes with SPs), all you really need to do is read the syllabus a couple of times and check out the PPTs posted online before each test. I prefer this kind of self-studying so I enjoy the current curriculum. The virtual microscopy hard drive makes it particularly easy to do the histo and path lab sessions anytime I want.

I think this whole situation is just a motivational slap-on-the-wrist. Everything has already been or is currently being resolved. We're still accredited after all, and the same thing happened to George Washington Medical School in D.C. from 2008-2010.