UT Southwestern Class of 2013!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So does anyone know what the latest time of year you can start looking for housing and still find something decent? I'm OOS.

Members don't see this ad.

to current UTSW students:

anyone have any dirt on inwood on the park? im considering renting there. thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm, how useful is MS0 day? Do they go over pretty the same things at Orientation? The reason I'm asking is because it barely misses my spring break by a week and I don't know if I want to go back to Dallas again right away.

Hmm, how useful is MS0 day? Do they go over pretty the same things at Orientation? The reason I'm asking is because it barely misses my spring break by a week and I don't know if I want to go back to Dallas again right away.

I don't know how different MS0 day is now from 3 years ago, but the only truly useful thing I got out of it was the bus tour of the surrounding city areas. And if you can't attend, the school sends you the same information packet that attendees get. Not a big deal if you can't go.

congrats on getting in, by the way.

I was reading the Class of 2012 thread the other day instead of doing my homework, and I came across a few posts saying that they give out scholarships with the acceptance letters. Was it the same this year, or will they be giving out more? Also, there was a post about how if you are a Texas resident you get a 4k grant. Do the OOSers also get grants also, or do we have to pay 12ishK... Which is not bad at all, btw:cool:

to current UTSW students:

anyone have any dirt on inwood on the park? im considering renting there. thoughts?

hey, fellow mstp'er here. i'm looking at housing too (particularly since we have to start school in june!) -__- nonetheless, i'm excited!

anyway, I've been googling inwood on the park. Initially, I wanted to live there because the place is new, beautiful, and soo close to campus (10 min walking distance with a shuttle that runs by every 3min). however, i'm a girl and I had to take security into serious consideration. There's been some incidents (ie, auto breakthroughs) and random false fire alarms that've been mentioned in the reviews I've read, so I'm not so keen on renting there anymore. Otherwise, the price, good maintanence staff, and proximity are definitely great highlights. Bottom-line though, area around campus is just not very safe for walking and such. :cool:

gl with the search. if you happen to be a girl too and are looking for a roommate, pm me!

hey, fellow mstp'er here. i'm looking at housing too (particularly since we have to start school in june!) -__- nonetheless, i'm excited!

anyway, I've been googling inwood on the park. Initially, I wanted to live there because the place is new, beautiful, and soo close to campus (10 min walking distance with a shuttle that runs by every 3min). however, i'm a girl and I had to take security into serious consideration. There's been some incidents (ie, auto breakthroughs) and random false fire alarms that've been mentioned in the reviews I've read, so I'm not so keen on renting there anymore. Otherwise, the price, good maintanence staff, and proximity are definitely great highlights. Bottom-line though, area around campus is just not very safe for walking and such. :cool:

gl with the search. if you happen to be a girl too and are looking for a roommate, pm me!

Thanks for your input. I'm abroad till June and my parents have been doing some hunting for me. They really liked Inwood for its rooms and they felt the security was okay, but I guess I should tell them to go take another look. Its $698 for efficiency and $798 for a one bedroom for students approved for the loan. I was expecting lower in this market, but I guess this is pretty average (I donno? Live in Fort Worth but know very little about apartments in the area). The amenities seem really nice and the rooms are large. I will have a dog so its good that they're pet friendly. Right now, they are the only place that could give my parents an assurance, everyone else said wait till June. I'm concerned that I wait and don't get anything and then I live too far away...that would be a pain in the butt. The shuttle leaves right behind Inwood for UTSW, which is another plus.
I guess I'll explore the safety again but from what I hear of downtown Dallas and the UTSW area, all of it is pretty bad so I guess you can never be completely secure...

So I deferred from c/o 2012 for a year abroad and I must have been late getting on to the 2013 mailing list because I totally did not get an email about the grading system change...just read it and my heart is singing! yay! :))))

On that note, can anyone tell me if you've gotten anything else after Wes' email about MS0? The on on Feb 24 that gave the dates and all?

Also, any other advice from anyone on housing? Like good places to check out, etc...?

Can someone tell me what the actual, bottom line cost per year is for UTSW? Their handbook says 5500 or 6500 for tuition, but maybe a current student can tell me how much you pay per year for tuition, books, lab fees, etc. Just the total number is all I want, but if you feel like breaking it down that's cool too =)

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone tell me what the actual, bottom line cost per year is for UTSW? Their handbook says 5500 or 6500 for tuition, but maybe a current student can tell me how much you pay per year for tuition, books, lab fees, etc. Just the total number is all I want, but if you feel like breaking it down that's cool too =)

I got kinda bored and added up the totals (I ignored most of the extra fees and assumed that you would be there over the summer too):

Four Years' Tuition & Fees
Resident: $58,014
Non-Resident: $110,414

Attachments

• UT Southwestern Expenses 2009-10.xls
    20.5 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:
I got kinda bored and added up the totals (I ignored most of the extra fees and assumed that you would be there over the summer too):

Four Years' Tuition & Fees
Resident: $58,014
Non-Resident: $110,414

Thanks, TheElement, that's really helpful! Appreciate you sharing that.

So school starts exactly 5 months from now! (um, according to GMT + 8!) How is everyone preparing for it?

Btw, regarding housing, people who don't mind a drive may want to check out The Village. However, if you're not from Dallas/FW, you should know that the traffic gets really bad. Reallllyy bad. Esp in the Parkland/UTSW area, where there is always construction going on...blech.

To reiterate my previous q, any other emails from Wes since the MS0 email? Just want to make sure I'm getting em because I didn't get the grading policy change email. Thanks in advance :)

To reiterate my previous q, any other emails from Wes since the MS0 email? Just want to make sure I'm getting em because I didn't get the grading policy change email. Thanks in advance :)

There was an email on Tuesday (3/10) with a link to RSVP for second look.

Anyone know when we should we expect to hear back about financial aid?

thanks, courage kid. i didn't get that so I guess I should check up...

My total bill this year (for MS1) was $13540, including all fees. The breakdown can be found in the link that was previously posted. Hope that helps.

Anyone looking to buy a house near campus (within 5-10mi)? I am in the market but not quite sure where to look, are there any new developments going up nearby?

Hey y'all! Are any girls looking for a roommate? I'm looking into living fairly close to campus--preferably Med Park, though I don't know how long the waiting list is and I only sent my application in recently. But anyway it looks like there are several other options nearby. PM me if you are interested! :)

Its $698 for efficiency and $798 for a one bedroom for students approved for the loan. I was expecting lower in this market, but I guess this is pretty average (I donno? Live in Fort Worth but know very little about apartments in the area).

Inwood and the apartments near campus are priced a bit too high, because students love to live there despite the location. If you live further away you can find a better price for the same thing or the same price for a better apartment and location... but then you can't take the shuttle if that is what you're interested in.

If you prefer living away from the school, I would second the Villiage. If you're driving without traffic it's 15 min to the school and with traffic... 30. My bf lives there and I don't have problems when I stay at his place because I go in early or class starts post-rush hour. It's a large complex with multiple apartment communities and has the most beautiful running/walking trial in the city.

I also know there are a few apartments further north on Inwood (maybe Inwood and Lemmon?). Many students live there, too.

If you're more adventurous, I would try driving around the streets between Maple to a few blocks N of Lemmon. There four families/eight family apartments that I'm sure have more character than the gated apartments with white walls, white carpet, and parking lots.

If you are picky about where you live I would highly recommend visiting yourself so you can weigh the pros and cons of your future lifestyle.

Last edited:
Inwood and the apartments near campus are priced a bit too high, because students love to live there despite the location. If you live further away you can find a better price for the same thing or the same price for a better apartment and location... but then you can't take the shuttle if that is what you're interested in.

If you prefer living away from the school, I would second the Villiage. If you're driving without traffic it's 15 min to the school and with traffic... 30. My bf lives there and I don't have problems when I stay at his place because I go in early or class starts post-rush hour. It's a large complex with multiple apartment communities and has the most beautiful running/walking trial in the city.

I also know there are a few apartments further north on Inwood (maybe Inwood and Lemmon?). Many students live there, too.

If you're more adventurous, I would try driving around the streets between Maple to a few blocks N of Lemmon. There four families/eight family apartments that I'm sure have more character than the gated apartments with white walls, white carpet, and parking lots.

If you are picky about where you live I would highly recommend visiting yourself so you can weigh the pros and cons of your future lifestyle.

Thanks so much sprinkibrio, really helps to get an insight of someone who lives there and is used to the area an the drives. I've driven in Dallas traffic before and I don't like it much, but its not the worst thing either. I'd like to stay as close to campus as possible, but then, that also means needing high security and also high price. So, yeah, you're right that I should explore myself and weigh everything out.

Does anyone know if June/July will be a bit late to try to find something? Most apartments have told me that they don't know of openings till June comes along, but I'm concerned that good places may fill up by then. I'm not back in the country by then...but don't fancy the thought of my parents choosing a place for me!!

So MS0 is coming up! This thread is so quiet, but I hope it'll be a little more lively once people come back from that. Hope y'all will pass on some of the important stuff for some of us who can't make it!

Hey everyone! The initial excitement still hasn't died down, I'm impressed with my mind's ability to stay pumped about this!

I've been looking at apartments - a bunch from rent-dot-com and a couple that the UTSW orientation site listed (5225 and Cityville). I have no idea what would be more important - proximity or living in a nice (read: not affluent, but relatively aesthetically pleasing) area. My boyfriend, who's from Dallas, is concerned about living in the area immediately around UTSW because he says it's a sketchy. However, the idea of waking up ten (or 20) minutes before class really appeals to me, so I don't know what to do! Is it really that sketchy? (That question was primarily directed toward Dallas residents or current students)

My friend that is a MS1 right now lives in Medpark. She says that the area around the school is really sketchy. This sentiment is also repeated by other Dallas friends I know.

yes, the area around utsw is really sketchy. i was surprised actually at how sketchy it was while i explored dallas. I live in fort worth and i have not been in the whole dfw area long, but even in the short while i have been there ive realized that its not safe. my tour guide at my interview echoed the same thing, and emphasized it. Dallas' Koreatown is quite close to UTSW, and while i love that place for its Korean-ness, it shares the vast area with strip clubs and shady bars and clubs, and a place you don't want to be around at night alone without a car. So that gives you an idea of the neighboring area. But, having lived in other similarly shady cities, I don't think Dallas is especially dangerous or sketchy, I think you just have to live smartly like you should in any big city: not walk alone late at night, avoid sketchy/empty roads, be aware of your surroundings, etc etc. You just have to use your sense and be careful and aware, and as far as living area goes, weight out and decide what concerns you the most. sprinkibrio gave some good advice to me above that you really should check out the areas yourself to get a real idea of where you'll be happy/safe(r).

also, there is usually a lot of traffic and closed roads in my experience, so its not exactly the best place to drive into and find parking at. Not terribly bad, but not the most convenient if you're doing it everyday.

I can't make it to MS0 day. I know they'll be sending out a packet to those of us that aren't there, but should I worry about missing out on any opportunities?

Also, I got invited to this Summer Enrichment Program. Was anyone a part of this in the past? Anyone planning to do it this summer?

I can't make it to MS0 day. I know they'll be sending out a packet to those of us that aren't there, but should I worry about missing out on any opportunities?

Also, I got invited to this Summer Enrichment Program. Was anyone a part of this in the past? Anyone planning to do it this summer?

Is the SEP thing by invitation only?

The question I asked here I figured out myself :)

Last edited:
Yes, SEP is by invitation only. It's for those of us that have been out of school for awhile.

It's also for those whose MCAT scores and/or GPAs are below the entering class average.

Anyone have any thoughts on my other question: How much should I worry about not being able to make it to MS0 day?

Yes, SEP is by invitation only. It's for those of us that have been out of school for awhile.

It's also for those whose MCAT scores and/or GPAs are below the entering class average.

Anyone have any thoughts on my other question: How much should I worry about not being able to make it to MS0 day?
While MS0 day will provide you with some helpful information and a chance to meet some of your future classmates, I wouldn't worry about not being able to make it. You will get all the info that you need to know about being a medical student during orientation. Was there some specific concern that you had?

I guess my biggest concern is missing out on meeting potential mentors (including both profs and MS II-IV).

I also plan to do research while in school. Will I have other chances to learn about ongoing work?

hi everyone.. congratulations on getting into UTSW..

i'm looking for a 1 br condo near parkland.. or a roommate for a 2br at med park? i'll be starting my neurocritical care fellowship on july 1st and would like to move during june..

email me at [email protected] if you're looking for a roommate or have any info..

Hey everyone! The initial excitement still hasn't died down, I'm impressed with my mind's ability to stay pumped about this!

I've been looking at apartments - a bunch from rent-dot-com and a couple that the UTSW orientation site listed (5225 and Cityville). I have no idea what would be more important - proximity or living in a nice (read: not affluent, but relatively aesthetically pleasing) area. My boyfriend, who's from Dallas, is concerned about living in the area immediately around UTSW because he says it's a sketchy. However, the idea of waking up ten (or 20) minutes before class really appeals to me, so I don't know what to do! Is it really that sketchy? (That question was primarily directed toward Dallas residents or current students)

I live in Cityville, and your boyfriend is right, it is pretty sketchy here. We have armed guards patrolling at night so the inside of the complex feels pretty safe, but I wouldn't count on going outside the complex (not that there is much to go out for).

As far as living close goes, it may benefit you in the beginning but you may stop going to morning classes eventually. I never missed any class in college and I skip most all the classes in medical school now, so take that into account.

There is a new apartment complex being built right by Cityville. Their website is www.alexansouthwestern.com although it provides no information yet other than a phone number. They say it's going to be available by April.

I got my apartment brand new so I really like it. All my appliances are pretty good (no washer/dryer like MedPark though), and it's aesthetically pleasing. I have a great view of downtown which is a plus. My only gripes are that sounds from the hallways project easily into my apartment. The guy who lives above me is a complete idiot and makes a lot of noise. Plus, you'll hear trains and airplanes throughout the day although I got used to that quick.

If you have anymore questions, just ask. I'm a bit tired right now so there are probably a lot of points that I didn't hit. If you do decide to sign onto Cityville, you can list me as a referral and we can split the $500 bonus.

I guess my biggest concern is missing out on meeting potential mentors (including both profs and MS II-IV).

I also plan to do research while in school. Will I have other chances to learn about ongoing work?
I don't think you'll have a chance to meet many profs on MS0 day. Dr. McPhaul will probably be giving a presentation on research, where he will tell you to go to the project index web page and look up the ongoing projects. Then, you're on your own to get in touch with those profs to set things up. You can do this at any time by going here:

http://www.utsouthwestern.edu/utsw/cda/dept25793/files/126610.html

I hope that people at MS-0 day will have a good chance to meet lots of MS-I-IIIs, but it seems like they scheduled MS-0 day at a bad time. MS-IIIs don't really exist at any time, and until NEXT Friday, MS-Is don't either (we have exams tomorrow (Thurs.,) Monday, and next Friday.) I'm not sure about MS-IIs. MS-IVs just finished the match process, so they will probably be around and very happy, so maybe that is why they scheduled things for now :) It would be a great time to ask those guys any questions that you have about residency, matching, how UTSW is looked at by residency directors, etc, as you will be getting it right from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

All-in-all, think of MS-0 day as a much less stressful version of your interview day (without the interviews, of course,) where you can see more about what the school has to offer, and get those burning questions that you might have answered. I think it also might be designed to "sell" the school to those that haven't yet decided to attend. If you're comfortable with the school, the city, and your choice to attend there (assuming you have a choice :) ,) and don't have any burning questions, you might not get a lot out of it, but then again, you might, so it is worth attending if you can, but not a big deal if you can't.

I hope those of you that attend have fun and get all the answers to your questions. Sorry that I won't be around -- I'll be studying for my exam on Monday. I guess I'll just have to meet you all in Aug.

Last edited:
Thanks for that info, Sol Rosenberg. I'll be missing on MS0 too so its good to hear exactly what that comprises of and what we're missing.

Hopefully others who go will be generous enough to share any useful tips/advice on this thread! Please do!

Anyone know if the 2009 Match List is available?

Anybody have any thoughts/comments/advice from MS0?

MS0 was great for meeting your future classmates. Since the class size will be HUGE and everyone will probably be busy (and will probably hang out in cliques) after school starts, I think MS0 is great for meeting peers you otherwise won't have outside your college/clique in a non-academic setting. But if you guys missed it, I think it's probably ok too. There's still orientation, retreat, and plenty of other opportunities to meet ppl. I think maybe ~100 ppl were there? Correct me if I'm wrong.

On a spearate topic. Does anyone have any advice on housing? I'm debating between Inwood vs. Cityville. Inwood is VERY close to campus but Cityville is very new. I also like how Cityville has shops that they promise to open up soon. However, does anyone have any clue as to when will shops actually open up? It'll be pointless if they are not opening up anything within the next 4 yrs :p Also, is the area around campus THAT shady? It seemed fine, but I want to hear first-hand info.

Also, MS0 raised some concerns in regards to competitiveness of housing. Seems like a lot of ppl want to live alone and that most ppl end up getting waitlisted. Do I have to act like NOW if I want a studio of my own? Or do I still have time to shop around and decide?

MS0 was great for meeting your future classmates. Since the class size will be HUGE and everyone will probably be busy (and will probably hang out in cliques) after school starts, I think MS0 is great for meeting peers you otherwise won't have outside your college/clique in a non-academic setting. But if you guys missed it, I think it's probably ok too. There's still orientation, retreat, and plenty of other opportunities to meet ppl. I think maybe ~100 ppl were there? Correct me if I'm wrong.

On a spearate topic. Does anyone have any advice on housing? I'm debating between Inwood vs. Cityville. Inwood is VERY close to campus but Cityville is very new. I also like how Cityville has shops that they promise to open up soon. However, does anyone have any clue as to when will shops actually open up? It'll be pointless if they are not opening up anything within the next 4 yrs :p Also, is the area around campus THAT shady? It seemed fine, but I want to hear first-hand info.

Also, MS0 raised some concerns in regards to competitiveness of housing. Seems like a lot of ppl want to live alone and that most ppl end up getting waitlisted. Do I have to act like NOW if I want a studio of my own? Or do I still have time to shop around and decide?
thanks for the info on MS0, nelle, sounds like you guys who went enjoyed it. looking forward to meeting you all in the fall, till then, if there's anything you think the rest of us need to know, it would be much appreciated :)

I kind of have the same questions on housing. I hear Cityville is much safer from Inwood. My relatives checked out Inwood and they loved it, but then they heard some bad stuff about break ins, etc. I think Cityville is supposed to be safer. Anybody in the know have any specific advice?

The area is DEFINITELY shady. I made a post earlier on this page about the shadiness and sketchiness. I live in the FW area, and while I haven't lived there for long, driving around UTSW at night just feels unsafe. Most students seem to agree, and a lot of people to work/study/live in that area also concede. Look at previous posts on that.

Have the same concern on housing...I'm out of the country so can't look at apartments, etc till June, which is when a lot of apartment complexes told me they'll know. Will I be okay trying to find a studio/1 bed room at that point or do I need to worry? Appreciate any responses for this from people who've been living around.

Thanks for the MS0 Day input. It's much appreciated.

Out of curiosity, how do these cliques form?

well....let's face it, with a class of 200+ you are bound to see cliques (esp. at a state school where you have large groups of ppl coming from the same group of schools). in some sense, med school is kinda like high school all over again, except student gov & faculty do put in more effort to encourage collegial harmony. correct me if I'm wrong tho.

Yeah, basically take the academics from undergrad, and the social atmosphere from high school, and that's a succinct description of what medical school is like.

I've heard that before, but I guess I've been trying to deny it. Why do you guys think it is that students are stuck in that "high school-esque" social mentality?

Should I be worried that the greater portion of my class will be relatively immature?

well, what can I say....to clique is human :p
I didn't mean to bring up any negativity when I mentioned cliques. But I can guarantee you will find cliques even in the smallest med school. In fact, you will probably keep seeing cliques, in lab, at work, at the hospital, etc. no matter where you go. After all, it's kinda human nature. we all have endless things to accomplish but only limited time and energy for ppl, and well all feel comfy around ppl that we can identify with or have something to share with...

relatively speaking, UTSW is already doing a superior job at fostering camaraderie, esp. for a school with a grading system. In fact, I actually see the large class size as a strength of UTSW. Larger class means, more diversity, more talents, and BIGGER network (a consistent Texan theme). while utsw, being a state institute, does have a more homogeneous population than a lot of other schools, i'm sure each person adds something special to the class. During one of the sessions, the student gov mentioned UTSW hosting a huge talent show yearly. So as you can see, we have quite a good collection of talents here. If you are concerned about cliques, that is exactly why we have social events, student clubs, etc.

in regards to immature ppl, i'm sure you'll find them no matter where u go to. some ppl come to med school already very mature, but even for lots of highly qualified ppl, 4 yrs of med school is indeed what it takes to mature. but in utsw's defense, do realize that the caliber of the students here is pretty high. I went to MS0 and came across a lot of amazing folks. i had a blast. in short, coming to utsw can't go wrong.

I agree about the caliber of our classmates. We are fortunate to have so many great students from different backgrounds.

I had no problem getting along with everyone during MS0. Everyone was very laid-back and easy to talk to.

They fed us well and the visit to the Nasher Sculpture Museum was a nice touch. I was able to watch two hockey games during my visit and even checked out the Bass Performance Hall in Fort Worth, which is just a short drive away.

I'm still holding out for BCM, but even if I do get accepted, I'm pretty sure UTSW is the better fit. I just felt like it was the perfect place for me from the start and on every one of my visits to Dallas. The facility with which one can find a research mentor is unparalleled.

Good point.

Does anyone have any input on how UTSW students do in the match.

Also, how much does the school help those that end up having to scramble?