UT vs UW ortho program - any advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notadentistyet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I have a scheduling conflict with my University of Tennessee and University of Washington interviews. I have to make a decision on which to go to very soon. Could anyone please tell me anything about these two programs? ....Strengths, weaknesses, good things, bad things, etc? Any and all advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I have a scheduling conflict with my University of Tennessee and University of Washington interviews. I have to make a decision on which to go to very soon. Could anyone please tell me anything about these two programs? ....Strengths, weaknesses, good things, bad things, etc? Any and all advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

I would go with UW for a couple reasons. First, the program is 30 months vs. 34. Secondly, I would much rather live in Seattle than Memphis. That's my 2 cents.

Being a UW grad, I am pretty biased - but I wholeheartedly recommend taking the UW interview. It is a program with a rich history and an international reputation as being among the best. It has served me well to say I went there - and innumerable faculty are considered leaders in the field. Try googling Dr. Vince Kokich, Bob Little, Don Joondeph to name a few. The students are treated very very well - we had one assistant for every two students and did not spend much time toiling on lab work at all. The interdisciplinary and orthognathic training are top notch. Plus life in Seattle cannot be beat! Best of luck!

TexasDDS,

Hey...I'm in dental school in texas currently and I have wanted to go to UW for Orthodontics since the day I started school. I climbed Rainier in 2005, and have wanted to live up there ever since.

Can I email you regarding your experience...esp. having coming from Texas like I will. I would really like to visit the school before I apply next Summer...I'm a 3rd year. Do you think that could help my chances? before I go on, just let me know if I can email ya sometime. I'd greatly appreciate it.

You basically just completed my dream situation, so congrats!