UTDB-Houston Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

refriedtofu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone,

just this morning, I received an invitation to interview at UTDB-Houston. This is my very first interview, so just wondering if there is anything I need to bring...resumes, portfolio, etc...Or should I just concentrate on preparing for the interview questions?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

hey everyone,

just this morning, I received an invitation to interview at UTDB-Houston. This is my very first interview, so just wondering if there is anything I need to bring...resumes, portfolio, etc...Or should I just concentrate on preparing for the interview questions?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I got an invite last night too! they also gave me the date which is on the 30th of august! just 10 days away...I'm actually kind of worried because I did not want the UTDB interview to be the first! but I will do my best...did you go for the interview yet or not? when is it?
I think you should bring a notepad and your resume just to look at it while you're waiting!
good luck:luck:

Hey guys, congratulations!!! :) Y'all should post in the TMDSAS forum, too.

When were your apps transmitted to the school?

I interviewed there last year. I don't think you should be worrying about a resume/portfolio? Just study the interview questions, study your app, and be confident and make sure you are able to back up your reasons for wanting to go to dental school. You only have one interviewer at UTDB who you sit with for about thirty minutes... so make sure you're capable of holding a conversation for 30 minutes :) They're not out to get you, they just want to know whether you're personable or not!

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, congratulations!!! :) Y'all should post in the TMDSAS forum, too.

When were your apps transmitted to the school?

I interviewed there last year. I don't think you should be worrying about a resume/portfolio? Just study the interview questions, study your app, and be confident and make sure you are able to back up your reasons for wanting to go to dental school. You only have one interviewer at UTDB who you sit with for about thirty minutes... so make sure you're capable of holding a conversation for 30 minutes :) They're not out to get you, they just want to know whether you're personable or not!

Good luck!

Thank you so much! ...So we are gonna be there from 8.30 to 3.30 and the actual interview is 30 min? the rest - im assuming - is a tour ? and things like that?

I heard the UTDB interview is the most " formal" out of Texas schools..

My application was transmitted to schools on the 30th of july and they emailed me yesterday on the 19th at 4.40 pm . for an interview on the 30th of august...I thought I'd have more time to prepare for it .

so your advice is to prepare the questions and just relax...I guess everyone is saying that ...I hope I'll be able to do that :)

Good luck everyone!:luck:

Thank you so much! ...So we are gonna be there from 8.30 to 3.30 and the actual interview is 30 min? the rest - im assuming - is a tour ? and things like that?

I heard the UTDB interview is the most " formal" out of Texas schools..

My application was transmitted to schools on the 30th of july and they emailed me yesterday on the 19th at 4.40 pm . for an interview on the 30th of august...I thought I'd have more time to prepare for it .

so your advice is to prepare the questions and just relax...I guess everyone is saying that ...I hope I'll be able to do that :)

Good luck everyone!:luck:

Congratulations to you guys! I know this is a very stressful time for you, but don't worry, like the previous poster mentioned the questions are not that difficult. Just make sure that you're honest and be confident in yourself and in the way that you answer questions. Don't second guess yourself. Luckily, I was able to interview at all 3 Texas schools and I can honestly say that UTDB was the most laid back environment of the 3 schools. Dr. Pierpont is friendly, approachable, and will go out of his way to make you feel welcome. His demeanor isn't just an act, he genuinely cares about the students here at UTDB.

This is actually funny, because just yesterday we went to see the Astros as part of one of the activities for rush week, and some of my classmates and I were talking about why we decided to come to Houston. The biggest reason was the students and the environment. It didn't seem cutthroat at all. Any of the students we met during our interviews were friendly and were happy with their decision to attend UTDB. And after 2 weeks of school, I feel the same way. Sure dental school is difficult and sometimes a drag, but at least I know that the faculty and staff here want to see me succeed and will try their best to help me out with anything that I need or might be troubling me. Our class is really laid back and fun to be around and I've met members of the other classes and they have all been extremely helpful during our transition into dental school, especially the 2nd year class.

Hopefully, I might have a chance to meet some of you during your interview and answer any questions you might have. Relax and have fun during your interviews, and if you have any additional questions Dr. P and/or the ladies at Student Affairs are extremely helpful and will get back to you relatively quickly. (Just be considerate and understand that they're extremely busy right now, but they will get back to you. Just be patient.)

I will also be joining you all for the Aug 30th interview. I was waitlisted at UTDB from last cycle, so I've interviewed with them. I definitely felt that UTDB had a more relaxing interview experience versus UTHSCSA. No one seemed to bring a resume. Most brought a portfolio notebook if they wished to jot down notes; however, UTDB provided us with a folder containing handouts and paper to take notes on. So at the very least, bring a pen.

The students also seemed to be happy and relaxed. Good luck everyone!

Congratulations to you guys! I know this is a very stressful time for you, but don't worry, like the previous poster mentioned the questions are not that difficult. Just make sure that you're honest and be confident in yourself and in the way that you answer questions. Don't second guess yourself. Luckily, I was able to interview at all 3 Texas schools and I can honestly say that UTDB was the most laid back environment of the 3 schools. Dr. Pierpont is friendly, approachable, and will go out of his way to make you feel welcome. His demeanor isn't just an act, he genuinely cares about the students here at UTDB.

This is actually funny, because just yesterday we went to see the Astros as part of one of the activities for rush week, and some of my classmates and I were talking about why we decided to come to Houston. The biggest reason was the students and the environment. It didn't seem cutthroat at all. Any of the students we met during our interviews were friendly and were happy with their decision to attend UTDB. And after 2 weeks of school, I feel the same way. Sure dental school is difficult and sometimes a drag, but at least I know that the faculty and staff here want to see me succeed and will try their best to help me out with anything that I need or might be troubling me. Our class is really laid back and fun to be around and I've met members of the other classes and they have all been extremely helpful during our transition into dental school, especially the 2nd year class.

Hopefully, I might have a chance to meet some of you during your interview and answer any questions you might have. Relax and have fun during your interviews, and if you have any additional questions Dr. P and/or the ladies at Student Affairs are extremely helpful and will get back to you relatively quickly. (Just be considerate and understand that they're extremely busy right now, but they will get back to you. Just be patient.)

Thank you so much for your reply! I have heard the same about UTDB..I've met dr p and I think he just LOVES the school...Maybe more than me? but I doubt that :)
I hope I'll be seeing you all there :) Good luck to everyone!

Do you have any advice for the interview? how many questions did they ask? did they actually wait for you to answer ?

Thanks again :) Good luck to you too

I will also be joining you all for the Aug 30th interview. I was waitlisted at UTDB from last cycle, so I've interviewed with them. I definitely felt that UTDB had a more relaxing interview experience versus UTHSCSA. No one seemed to bring a resume. Most brought a portfolio notebook if they wished to jot down notes; however, UTDB provided us with a folder containing handouts and paper to take notes on. So at the very least, bring a pen.

The students also seemed to be happy and relaxed. Good luck everyone!

Happy and relaxed :) ? I like that!
Thanks and see you on monday!

Happy and relaxed :) ? I like that!
Thanks and see you on monday!

So you're interviewing next Monday? Awesome, let me know if you need any help or have any other questions. Maybe I'll see you around. We'll probably be in Dental Anatomy lab when you guys go on the tour of the school.

So you're interviewing next Monday? Awesome, let me know if you need any help or have any other questions. Maybe I'll see you around. We'll probably be in Dental Anatomy lab when you guys go on the tour of the school.

Yes I am :) ...I am stressed out though... Wish me luck!
see you around !

Yes I am :) ...I am stressed out though... Wish me luck!
see you around !

DO NOT stress out! I know how important the interview process to everyone and that it is critical to getting into dental school, BUT you need to relax. No one here at UTDB is out to get you. The profs here are EXTREMELY caring (for the most part). I have personally had Dr. P cry on my shoulder before because he cared so much about a classmate of mine who was murdered by her husband. I've seen and experienced how they care about different issues that come up and how willing they are to work with you. I should have graduated this year (hence the Navy DDS 2010), but personal medical issues forced me to take a year off to seek treatment and then I had to take another leave of absence this past April to tend to family medical issues. At no point did they (the entire faculty and administration) show anything other than compassion.

There may be schools that have higher board scores, have higher percentages of people going into residencies, but I can tell you that there is no other school that wants every student to be the best dentist they can be.

DO NOT stress out! I know how important the interview process to everyone and that it is critical to getting into dental school, BUT you need to relax. No one here at UTDB is out to get you. The profs here are EXTREMELY caring (for the most part). I have personally had Dr. P cry on my shoulder before because he cared so much about a classmate of mine who was murdered by her husband. I've seen and experienced how they care about different issues that come up and how willing they are to work with you. I should have graduated this year (hence the Navy DDS 2010), but personal medical issues forced me to take a year off to seek treatment and then I had to take another leave of absence this past April to tend to family medical issues. At no point did they (the entire faculty and administration) show anything other than compassion.

There may be schools that have higher board scores, have higher percentages of people going into residencies, but I can tell you that there is no other school that wants every student to be the best dentist they can be.

That's great to hear! :) I hope everything is great on ur side ...I just had a mock interview this afternoon and it went really well ...I hope the real one goes smoothly as well...
Best of luck :)

+1.

Just be yourself and don't worry too much about it.

Good luck to those of you interviewing tomorrow! :thumbup: If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask, I'll be the one wearing misty green scrubs. :laugh:

Good luck to those of you interviewing tomorrow! :thumbup: If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask, I'll be the one wearing misty green scrubs. :laugh:
don't they all wear "misty green scrubs" at utdb? ;-)