UTDB Teeth Collection Jars

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fleur531

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I have a few questions about the jars used for teeth collection and would super appreciate your thoughts and advice!!! UTDB suggested for us to collect teeth in "wide-mouthed, securely sealed plastic jars".

1) They didn't specify a size and currently I am trying to decide height - between a 4" and 6" jar - which do you think will be better?

2) Do you think that this plastic jar is acceptable?
http://www.uline.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?model=S-8507&ref=8152

3) Where else have you been able to find plastic jars that won't leak/safe to use? What has worked for you guys?

A super big THANK YOU again for your time and feedback!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

That jar will work, but I just used a spaghetti sauce jar. I filled it 1/2 - 3/4 with a 10% bleach solution, and it worked quite well.

This is likely common sense, but make sure that you leave your name and some form of contact information on the jar and a label it with what is in the jar, aka "unsterilized teeth in 10% bleach solution" or something like that.

Oh, and go back and get the jar, too. I talked to a couple of offices and they said that many people leave a jar, and never come back.

that helped A LOT! thank you!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
That jar will work, but I just used a spaghetti sauce jar. I filled it 1/2 - 3/4 with a 10% bleach solution, and it worked quite well.

This is likely common sense, but make sure that you leave your name and some form of contact information on the jar and a label it with what is in the jar, aka "unsterilized teeth in 10% bleach solution" or something like that.

Oh, and go back and get the jar, too. I talked to a couple of offices and they said that many people leave a jar, and never come back.

10% bleach and water? Minnesota gives some type of solution. How many offices are you guys leaving yours at?

10% bleach and water?

Those are the instructions USC gives as well. There have been a couple threads in the past devoted to tooth preservation solution recipes.

Those are the instructions USC gives as well. There have been a couple threads in the past devoted to tooth preservation solution recipes.
How many jars did you give out? I have one at an oral surgeon now and was wondering if I should ask for a few more to collect for me?

How many jars did you give out? I have one at an oral surgeon now and was wondering if I should ask for a few more to collect for me?

Really.... the more the merrier! At our school the teeth are used for practice, assignments, and even some exams. So its not just the quantity that's important but the quality of teeth you have (makes the assignments and exams easier). The only way to insure this is to collect as many as you can (so maybe it really is the quantity that's important??). Our school recommended we collect 300 teeth: 100 anterior, 100 premolars, & 100 molars.

Even if you have a plethora of collected teeth, keep collecting as you will inevitably have a couple of classmates coming up a little short willing to sacrifice anything in exchange for your extras!