UTHSCSA Class of 2009 part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
roja said:
Glad to hear it. I need a well trained man. :love:

I'll be coming into austin someime on the 30th. I'll probably head down to San Antonio on the 1st(aug)......

I expect NO studying in my vicinity.

Sorry, that's the first day of class. We all have to hit the books hard or we are going to be so far behind we will never catch up!!! So, I am sure you won't mind if we drink some Shiner and review some anatomy flash cards, right??

Members don't see this ad.

G0S2 said:
Sorry, that's the first day of class. We all have to hit the books hard or we are going to be so far behind we will never catch up!!! So, I am sure you won't mind if we drink some Shiner and review some anatomy flash cards, right??

:eek:
God please tell me you are kidding. Actually, I used to go study at this biker bar (usually anatomy as its mindless memory work) that has a great beer selection (Hills & Dales).

:)

roja said:
:eek:
God please tell me you are kidding. Actually, I used to go study at this biker bar (usually anatomy as its mindless memory work) that has a great beer selection (Hills & Dales).

:)

Completely, I even scared myself there for a bit.

It's funny you mention Hills and Dales b/c I stopped off there last time I was in SA. Huge refrigerator of single beers w/ picnic tables in the middle. Great place!!

Members don't see this ad :)
lane said:
wow...this thread feels all grown up now that it's in the allo forum.

we'll be mailing yall a ton of stuff on monday so be on the lookout. it's taken a little longer than expected to get everything together but you still have plenty of time to get everything in.

Hey Lane!
Was the stuff mailed out on Monday like you thought? I'm just getting a bit antsy for more info :D Thanks

Hey Guys:

Couple of quick items:

Don't want to belabor the point, but the scholarship stuff's been set up for Aaron's kids. If you want to donate, simply go to this link and check it out. :)

In other news, for anyone in Houston we're having a SDN shindig this Saturday @ 8 p.m. You can either PM me for details or check this thread in the Lounge.

Okay, so has anyone else been chilling out as much as possible? I've been so lazy lately. :D Only four more weeks of work then it's vacation time! :clap:

ladyybugg said:
Hey Lane!
Was the stuff mailed out on Monday like you thought? I'm just getting a bit antsy for more info :D Thanks
yep, it was sent :) you should be getting it within the next couple of days

GO- glad to hear it. Yup. hills and dales.. quite an interesting place, especially to study gross anatomy. :D

evo- hon, I expect you to pay up when I am in town. I will probably hit SA on the 1st or 2nd....

roja said:
GO- glad to hear it. Yup. hills and dales.. quite an interesting place, especially to study gross anatomy. :D

evo- hon, I expect you to pay up when I am in town. I will probably hit SA on the 1st or 2nd....
Of course..:D

Does anyone know if the new Clinical Skills Center has one of those computer dummy patients for students to practice on?

ladyybugg said:
Does anyone know if the new Clinical Skills Center has one of those computer dummy patients for students to practice on?

Yes they do. Just one though. :)

ladyybugg said:

I have a dummy that I practice on!!! Oh wait, I don't think we are talking about the same thing.

:p

G0S2 said:
I have a dummy that I practice on!!! Oh wait, I don't think we are talking about the same thing.

Dude, stop talking about yourself. It's sad, really.

Members don't see this ad :)
G0S2 said:

:laugh:

Holy crap, folks! As of tomorrow, there are FOUR weeks until orientation!! :eek: :eek:

Hmmm, and here I thought the count down would be for when I was coming into town. ;)

roja said:
Hmmm, and here I thought the count down would be for when I was coming into town. ;)
Hon, there are FIVE weeks before that blessed event occurs. And something else around that time that I can't really remember.....:confused:

EvoDevo said:
Holy crap, folks! As of tomorrow, there are FOUR weeks until orientation!! :eek: :eek:

Dropped my jacket size in the mailbox for monday :)
I'm working at the eye clinic at university hospital this summer and I am proud to know my way around the med school and the hospital pretty well now. Anyway, can't wait to meet everyone come the 17th or whenever we're doing that 'self' welcome weekend.

USCTex said:
Dropped my jacket size in the mailbox for monday :)
I'm working at the eye clinic at university hospital this summer and I am proud to know my way around the med school and the hospital pretty well now. Anyway, can't wait to meet everyone come the 17th or whenever we're doing that 'self' welcome weekend.
Cool. How'd you score that job?

This is nuts!!! Four more weeks!!!! Can't wait to meet everyone!

yo lane......check your PMs!!!!!! (and/or your gmail acct)

-tx

The movers are on their way to TX for me. Up to Vermont for some R&R in the Green Mountain State and then a one-way flight to San Antonio on July 5. I hope everyone's move goes smoothly and I can't wait to get this party started!!! Also, let me know if you will need some help unloading anything at your new place. PM me.

I'll post once I am in Texas.

EvoDevo said:
How'd you score that job?

UPG, the set of clinics associated with University Hospital, hires high school and college kids over the summer. I'm a little old compared to my summer co-worker at the opthalmology clinic but my brother had worked for the UPG last summer, so I decided to look into it and it's been good summer work.

What is really cool is they've trained me to use the camera and take pictures of patient's retinas. Opthalmology has actually turned out to be really cool, I never would've imagined it but...a four year residency (including your internship year), great hourly pay, cool surgical procedures.

USCTex said:
UPG, the set of clinics associated with University Hospital, hires high school and college kids over the summer. I'm a little old compared to my summer co-worker at the opthalmology clinic but my brother had worked for the UPG last summer, so I decided to look into it and it's been good summer work.

What is really cool is they've trained me to use the camera and take pictures of patient's retinas. Opthalmology has actually turned out to be really cool, I never would've imagined it but...a four year residency (including your internship year), great hourly pay, cool surgical procedures.
Sweet deal, Tex. :thumbup:

This is my last Saturday in Houston. I'm getting the final pack up done this weekend, & a going away BBQ tonight. This time next week I'll be in San Antone! :D

Okay, I know that this is probably old news, but could someone PLEASE fill me in on what the last letter that UTHSCSA sent had in it? My mail is currently being forwarded, and I haven't gotten ANY of it yet....I think I'm gonna drop by the school on Tuesday to get another copy. Just got back from Maui and moved into Carlyle Place on the 29th. San Antone is SWEET! =) Carlyle peeps....when are you guys moving in?

--AD

AsianDoc816 said:
Okay, I know that this is probably old news, but could someone PLEASE fill me in on what the last letter that UTHSCSA sent had in it? My mail is currently being forwarded, and I haven't gotten ANY of it yet....I think I'm gonna drop by the school on Tuesday to get another copy. Just got back from Maui and moved into Carlyle Place on the 29th. San Antone is SWEET! =) Carlyle peeps....when are you guys moving in?

--AD

I got a whole buncha them at once cause my mail was being forwarded as well. So I'm not sure which one is the LAST one. But here we go,

• I got a letter from the new dean of students about the white coat ceremony, it had a form to fill out about what size coat you wanted and also a letter on a scholarship you could apply for.
  • I got a letter from the class of 2008 with big sib application, offers for t-shirts, a study aid CD, MS1/MS2 banquet tickets.
  • I got a letter from the TMA/AMA student reps at the school, which included an application to join and offers for more t-shirts.
  • I got a letter from the AMSA student reps at the school, but it was an ad basically telling you to join once school started

Anyway, I hope everyone is having a great fourth of july. What is everyone up to?
REK is playing at the Missions baseball game here in town, like every fourth, and so I'm heading down there tonight.

REK? Man.....

AD, welcome back. :) Hope you're enjoying San Antonio....:D

I'm gonna be moving in this Saturday (the ninth) and my roommate (G0S2) will be there on the sixth. However, I'm going to DC, North Carolina, and Vegas on Monday the 11th-18th. We've got the pool party on the 22d, I think. :)

hey ad,

I'm moving into carlyle on the 15th...see you soon :D

Evo, love, I expect you to mount the masses for me when I come on Aug 1st and speak. And NO heckling! :D

Thanks USC! You're the bestest! Looks like the only letter that I really NEED is the one with the white coat size preference. Keep in mind that I'm a 5'2", very slim Asian girl who doesn't want to get stuck with an XL white coat =( One of my friends in the c/o 2008 warned me that they're pretty big no matter what.

Evo--looks like your'e gonna have a ton of fun before med school begins! ;) Well deserved, of course!

Anyway, I can't believe that it's almost time to start. I am really enjoying my time off! Don't y'all just wish that we could get all of the social perks without the study overload? But then again, that's not what med school is about now is it??? :laugh:

USCTex said:
I got a whole buncha them at once cause my mail was being forwarded as well. So I'm not sure which one is the LAST one. But here we go,

• I got a letter from the new dean of students about the white coat ceremony, it had a form to fill out about what size coat you wanted and also a letter on a scholarship you could apply for.
  • I got a letter from the class of 2008 with big sib application, offers for t-shirts, a study aid CD, MS1/MS2 banquet tickets.
  • I got a letter from the TMA/AMA student reps at the school, which included an application to join and offers for more t-shirts.
  • I got a letter from the AMSA student reps at the school, but it was an ad basically telling you to join once school started

Anyway, I hope everyone is having a great fourth of july. What is everyone up to?
REK is playing at the Missions baseball game here in town, like every fourth, and so I'm heading down there tonight.

let me know if any of you crazy kids needs help moving in

i can't promise anything (we start classes on the 11th
ohnoes.gif
) but i'll do my best to stop by and carry some boxes or something :)

USCTex said:

I'm really interested in either Radiology or Ophthamology, so I'd love to talk to you more about your work....sounds like good experience and you get paid for it to boot! :thumbup:

AsianDoc816 said:

--AD

Don't worry...I was freaking out bc I'm still in Thailand and not able to meet the July 1st deadline....check ur PMs!!

I'll be moving into Caryle around July 15th or so......I hope I'm not out of the loop by moving in so late!

Hope everyone is having a good summer...I'm returning to the states this weekend......happy 4th!

-tx

Okay, I knew SA would be hot, but this is rediculous!!! At the airport last night at 8:30pm, the temp read 100 degrees!!!!! It felt like it.

Going over to Carlyle today to take care of logistics and to see the new place, test the temp of the pool water etc.

Finally here!!!!

Hey G0S2--I'm at Carlyle right now =) If you think that it's hot at 8:30 PM, just wait until today at around 2 pm....you're gonna die! I definitely don't like going out during the daytime anymore. Naps are a much better idea because going outside is like walking into a volcano or something! Anyway, hope you get everything taken care of at Carlyle....Angela is the BEST!

G0S2 said:
Okay, I knew SA would be hot, but this is rediculous!!! At the airport last night at 8:30pm, the temp read 100 degrees!!!!! It felt like it.

Going over to Carlyle today to take care of logistics and to see the new place, test the temp of the pool water etc.

Finally here!!!!

EvoDevo said:
Can't wait to join you, guys. Only three more days......

Actually, I'm going back to Houston tomorrow (Thursday)....getting all the home cookin' that I can while I can! I'll be back around the middle of July though. I like your choice of location--"surrounded by boxes"; that was SO ME a few weeks ago. My beautiful apartment in Austin looked so utterly depressing. But now my Carlyle one looks even BETTER =) I think we're gonna like it here in SA, guys!

AsianDoc816 said:
Actually, I'm going back to Houston tomorrow (Thursday)....getting all the home cookin' that I can while I can! I'll be back around the middle of July though. I like your choice of location--"surrounded by boxes"; that was SO ME a few weeks ago. My beautiful apartment in Austin looked so utterly depressing. But now my Carlyle one looks even BETTER =) I think we're gonna like it here in SA, guys!
Heh. Yeah, enjoy the free food as long as possible. :)

I'm going to be in SA only for a couple of days, but I'll be back on the 17th. We should grill out around then (I have a grill).

AsianDoc816 said:
Hey G0S2--I'm at Carlyle right now =) If you think that it's hot at 8:30 PM, just wait until today at around 2 pm....you're gonna die! I definitely don't like going out during the daytime anymore. Naps are a much better idea because going outside is like walking into a volcano or something! Anyway, hope you get everything taken care of at Carlyle....Angela is the BEST!

Hey AD!!

I was there today in apt #532. I was on the phone with Evo and he suggested I go over to say hi, but I have no idea where you are. Angela is fantastic and I just wrote a check and she handed me the keys. Very nice apartment.

My truck thermometer read 104 this afternoon. Killer.

I also walked around UTHSCSA to familiarize myself and I still really do not have a grasp on the campus, which will certainly come with time.

Enjoy the home cookin.

G0S2 said:
Hey AD!!

I was there today in apt #532. I was on the phone with Evo and he suggested I go over to say hi, but I have no idea where you are. Angela is fantastic and I just wrote a check and she handed me the keys. Very nice apartment.

My truck thermometer read 104 this afternoon. Killer.

I also walked around UTHSCSA to familiarize myself and I still really do not have a grasp on the campus, which will certainly come with time.

Enjoy the home cookin.

I'm in #313 for future reference =)

If anyone who is in town wants to go to lunch next week at UH's cafeteria (Chic-fil-a stand :) ) and explore the hospital and medical school...

USCTex said:
If anyone who is in town wants to go to lunch next week at UH's cafeteria (Chic-fil-a stand :) ) and explore the hospital and medical school...

I'm in as long as the movers are not arriving that day. Pick a time. The cafeteria (I think I saw it) seemed busy today.

USCTex said:
you may want to venture across the street (floyd curl) to methodist's cafeteria too :)

Sunday, August 10 (tomorrow)

5pm, Olympia Park

Welcome back picnic - you're all welcome to come if you're in town :)

BYOF

G0S2 said:
I'm in as long as the movers are not arriving that day. Pick a time. The cafeteria (I think I saw it) seemed busy today.

Lunch Wendesday at UH cafeteria?

You know in all my wandering at my job, I still don't know where the gross labs are. Are they on the first (third) floor of the shcool like just before that corridor that connects the lecture halls and library to the main building?

USCTex said:

You know in all my wandering at my job, I still don't know where the gross labs are. Are they on the first (third) floor of the shcool like just before that corridor that connects the lecture halls and library to the main building?

According to United Van Lines, Wednesday is the delivery day. You never know though.

Met Evo (my roommate) last night and went out for Mexican with Jeremy (Dizzy Dog). Good guys.

USCTex said:

they're on the 1st floor of the dental school

I still can't contemplate subway.

And really, sandy's coffe in the UH cafeteria is MUCH better than that coffee shop between the lecture halls..

mmmmmmmmm, sandy's coffee. I can't wait ot come back on the first.

heehee. Just a few more weeks!

roja said:
I still can't contemplate subway.

And really, sandy's coffe in the UH cafeteria is MUCH better than that coffee shop between the lecture halls..

mmmmmmmmm, sandy's coffee. I can't wait ot come back on the first.

heehee. Just a few more weeks!

What do you mean, Sandy's coffee is no longer there :eek: j/k ;)

Oh. my. god. that is NOT funny!

Status
Not open for further replies.