UTHSCSA Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Twitch

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wazzup?

Members don't see this ad.

I was debating about creating this thread earlier ;) Beat me to it.

I'm still trying to decide between San Antonio and Houston. San Antonio gets brownie points because I think it will be easier to get a dog.

And I *really* want a dog. :D

haha I want a dog too :) and I am also right now trying to decide between UTH and UTSA, and since I have mostly forgotten everything they said when I was there, I am having a hard time deciding... any help?:oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
haha I want a dog too :) and I am also right now trying to decide between UTH and UTSA, and since I have mostly forgotten everything they said when I was there, I am having a hard time deciding... any help?:oops:
For me, I have money from UT-H and their clinicals are unbelievable... but I really loved the people at UTSA... I was at the social for about 1 1/2 after all the other applicants had left. Plus, San Antonio is a pretty cool city.

Ugh :barf: I wish I didn't need to make this decision.

I have to make same decision, and it comes down to same thing, people at SA vs facilities at Houston...

I have to make same decision, and it comes down to same thing, people at SA vs facilities at Houston...

I haven't been accepted to UTSA, but I like the studetns there a lot. On the other hand, I had the chance to go out one weekend with a group on UTH students after a baseball game. They are some of the most laid back and down to earth med students that I have met. When it comes down to it, UTH and UTSA have great students.

i am thinking about going to UTHSCSA but i was wondering about how the curriculum is also how much class time everyday and what are tests like b/c i got accepted to UTMB and all i hear about is how great the curric is. Basically my top choice is SA but i think i need some reassurance that the curric is great please help!!!!

Congratulations to everyone who got into UTHSCSA class of 2011!!!

Congrats everyone! Can anyone give me info on the curriculum at UTHSCSA?

I will be joining you guys at UTHSCSA cant wait to meet ya'll and get started

Members don't see this ad :)
What would you like to know?

Hey. I interviewed at UTHSCSA very early in the process and I don't remember how classes are structured in terms of schedule and also what the curriculum there is like? I know that UTMB has PBL. I believe they said that UTHSCSA had an organ-systems based curriculum. Is that right? Thanks for any info.

Hey. I interviewed at UTHSCSA very early in the process and I don't remember how classes are structured in terms of schedule and also what the curriculum there is like? I know that UTMB has PBL. I believe they said that UTHSCSA had an organ-systems based curriculum. Is that right? Thanks for any info.

Looks like Ana got an answer for you. BTW anyone notice Anatomy is looong. Nitrile gloves anyone? :p

Hey I'm in dallas too! Well a few days out of the week anyways. I travel a lot for work.

hey guys- congrats on getting into med school (esp. uthscsa!)

I am a MS1 this year so feel free to ask any questions. I also suggest looking up our UTHSCSA class of 2010 (and maybe previous classes) to see the questions/answers there! It really helped me out a ton last year!!!!

Also- anatomy is a blast (even though its long) :D I love that class, and lab is great too since I have awesome "tankmates" (people you share your tank/cadaver with) so lab is filled with lots of humor for me!!!

ANYWAYS, congrats again at getting in!

I'm bored out of my mind.

On a side note:
~ 7 more months before classes start! :love:

hey guys i am excited to be going to UTHSCSA and cant wait to meet my peers on the journey to become a doctor if yall want to and you are sure you are going to UTHSCSA tell us a little bit about yourself.

I am a huge Dallas Cowboy fan love to read and i will be graduating with a degree in Biochem i guess if anyone want to know more just let me know

Hey ya'll, I'm an MS1 right now, so first let me say congratulations! The people here in SA really are one of the good things about the school, and were part of my decision. Our class has a real bond and I get tons of emails of people sharing resources and notes they've found/made on pretty much every subject. The curriculum is very hard, and I'm sure that's the same everywhere. We do have a systems based approach, with 2 modules of "General Concepts" which is basically undergrad versions of all the basic classes compressed into about 3 months. Then it gets really interesting with CV/Respiratory, GI/Renal (Which we're about to have exams in), and Endocrine/Reproductive, followed by Neuro, which is apparantly most of the contact hours after February. The cool thing is that every class is attacking the same concepts from different perspectives and it's a really cool thing to form a big picture from all these pieces. Granted, most of the time you'll be racing to figure out how you'll pass the test and other things might take a backseat, but I urge you to step back once in a while and contemplate how it all fits in to what you'll be doing a few years from now. It's difficult and I'm not indicative of the rest of the class, but I may be splitting the year into 2, which means I'd be in ya'lls biochem and physiology classes next year. It's a damn sight better than dropping out, for me at least, and I'm proud that even this hasn't dampened my desire to become a physician. Good luck in your decisions and I hope to see some of you next year. Please forgive the length and the ramble, but feel free to ask anything, and I'll answer to the best of my ability.

Joe

Forgot to say that part of the reason for my difficulty was that I wasn't a science major in college (Asian Studies), and just did the basic prerequisites, hence my difficulty with Biochem, etc. Also, aTmchich06 is absolutely right about lab, it's badass. I think it is absolutely amazing to see the human body like that, and my tank is tight and we do it with the sharpness! That's about it, congrats on getting in!

peace,

Joe

I absolutely loved UTSA (didn't get prematch offer), but I also loved TCOM when I was there and did get a prematch offer.

My dilemma... I don't know where I would rather go. The DO vs. MD thing doesn't really matter too much to me. I am interested in surgery and people say it's harder to go surgery being a DO, but currently the CT surgeon I work with is a DO and he's awesome.

Can people here let me know what pulled them to UTSA over TCOM???

Thanks.

Well congrats on TCOM however it wouldn't hurt you to put SA first and then TCOM second b/c whatever happens you will be going to medical school next year thats if you wanna go to SA. The reason i picked SA b/c i think it truly embodies why a person would want to go to medical school they have great students and faculty, but they have a large amount of students that make contributions in other aspects of life to help people also their hosps are all non-profit meaning everyone comes in through the front door and it allows people to see all kinds of things and its a top 15 teaching hosp however i dont think you can go worng with either program both very strong but thats why i picked SA good luck if you need anything just ask sincerely #90

Too many run on sentences, playmaker. I score your post a K on the MCAT "nonsense J-T" scale. haha. Once you get into medical school your grammer skills are the first thing to be replaced in your brain by all the random factoids you get tested on.

Congrats to everybody who got early offers. You will be doing yourself a favor by choosing our school. The curriculum is set up to help you better understand it (organ-system based), the students we attract are noncompetitive fun loving people (so your classmates will be cool <~95%>), and the administration is by far the best in Texas (which surprisingly makes a difference as to how smooth things run for students), and there are plenty of intramural sports teams available to jack around with during the week (we're MSI flag football champions). Also you can taylor your day to how you learn best. If you like being taught in a lecture setting, there are lectures scheduled from 8-4. If you like sitting in a library and doing it yourself, the syllabus has every last detail that you need to know. This makes the necessity to attend class obsolete. I learn on my own better, so I haven't attended a lecture in weeks and yet I still rock my exams.

The negatives are the closet sized gym, the lack of parking, the mic the teachers use crackles if a hair falls on it (which gets annoying after about thirty seconds), sometimes people take themselves a little to seriously (this is common though anywhere with 230 brainy people in one room), and the never ending struggle to get the library to stay open 24 hours (they just won't do it).

These issues though are found everywhere and are quite minor in the grand picture. Congradulations on your acceptance and hopefully we'll see you in the fall.

Too many run on sentences, playmaker. I score your post a K on the MCAT "nonsense J-T" scale. haha. Once you get into medical school your grammer skills are the first thing to be replaced in your brain by all the random factoids you get tested on.

Congrats to everybody who got early offers. You will be doing yourself a favor by choosing our school. The curriculum is set up to help you better understand it (organ-system based), the students we attract are noncompetitive fun loving people (so your classmates will be cool <~95%>), and the administration is by far the best in Texas (which surprisingly makes a difference as to how smooth things run for students), and there are plenty of intramural sports teams available to jack around with during the week (we're MSI flag football champions). Also you can taylor your day to how you learn best. If you like being taught in a lecture setting, there are lectures scheduled from 8-4. If you like sitting in a library and doing it yourself, the syllabus has every last detail that you need to know. This makes the necessity to attend class obsolete. I learn on my own better, so I haven't attended a lecture in weeks and yet I still rock my exams.

The negatives are the closet sized gym, the lack of parking, the mic the teachers use crackles if a hair falls on it (which gets annoying after about thirty seconds), sometimes people take themselves a little to seriously (this is common though anywhere with 230 brainy people in one room), and the never ending struggle to get the library to stay open 24 hours (they just won't do it).

These issues though are found everywhere and are quite minor in the grand picture. Congradulations on your acceptance and hopefully we'll see you in the fall.

I'm in...........looking forward to it.

Well i could write with grammer in mind but when i come on here its kinda i'll start one thing, oh well who cares i'm in WTR is in life is good lol :)

Also you can taylor your day to how you learn best. If you like being taught in a lecture setting, there are lectures scheduled from 8-4. If you like sitting in a library and doing it yourself, the syllabus has every last detail that you need to know. This makes the necessity to attend class obsolete. I learn on my own better, so I haven't attended a lecture in weeks and yet I still rock my exams.

Hi everyone. New to SDN here. I was accepted to UTSA about a month ago and I'm obviously really excited about it! It seemed like a great place during the interview... hope that proves to be true.

At this point I'm trying to decide between UTSA and UTMB, and the deciding factors for me come down to location and curriculum. UTSA has an edge as far as location, but I really loved UTMB's curriculum. I'm definitely a study-alone, teach myself kind of learner. So, my question is: are the syllabi in ALL classes complete enough that you don't have to go to lecture if you don't want to? For those of you who are current students and don't like lecture, how much time per week do you actually spend in class or lab? Also, do any of the teachers frown on people not attending their lectures? I just want a clear picture of what the curriculum will be like. Thanks!

hmmm i can see we will have great time at UTSA i cant wait. I corrected that kinda made me aware i have to be a little cautious when writing lol well back to the books

So here is what I did for studying:

the first module I went to every class to just get a feel for everything.... did great on the exams (and made a bunch of friends too)

the second module: I did not go to a single class except for the random required ones (these are few and far between...ex: anatomy lab, histology labs, Clinical Assessment of the Patient Labs) and you will not have all of those labs in one given week (except anatomy- 2X per week)...did great on all of my exams

so now- I pick and choose...if i think it will benefit me to go I will, if not I study at the random coffee shops in the area (I am not a library girl...)

So basically my advice would be- go to like the first week or two...at least just to meet people and get a feel for the lectures...now- my friends always tell me IF there is ever anything important said (and this is usually- "Don't worry about studying this chart or page etc..." and not adding material)

Then decide if lecture works for you or not and go from there! The syllabus does have everything you need...I know plenty of people who do not attend class at all and make great grades. I also know plenty of people who attend EVERY class and make great grades. Just go with your studying style and whatever works for you!

Well, this was enough procrastination since we are still in our test week right now! hope this helped!

Thanks- that's very helpful! I wouldn't do well if required to attend lots of class... but knowing its there if I need it will be nice.

Thanks- that's very helpful! I wouldn't do well if required to attend lots of class... but knowing its there if I need it will be nice.

So after doing massive amounts of facebook stalking to see if there were any groups for our class, i finally remembered this crazy site!

Heeellloooo everyone =) I am definately going to be joining some of you next year at San Antonio. I hope everyone is as excited/nervous as I am!

Anyone from UT???

hey all! congrats on UTSA. I also got into UTSA and A&M. I am currently waiting back from UThouston. I loved the people and faculty from UTSA and A&M. Houston however is my hometown. Are there any rankings I guess for the texas schools or UTSA and A&M specifically? and how about how they do on their step 1? thanks!

If you're not accepted by UT Houston by now, i think it's time to give up. Syduck, I think you are more suited for a future in PA anyway.

If you're not accepted by UT Houston by now, i think it's time to give up. Syduck, I think you are more suited for a future in PA anyway.

wow, let's be nice here....:confused:

dammit, I gotta quit going to these wine parties! I am a beer drinker by pedigree but I have taken to a Meritage of late. Bump.

Ice storms in Amarillo.....they are beautiful.

It's going to be a fun couple of years. Nice to meet everyone.
I'm looking forward to moving back to SA after 9 years away.
"Thank you" to current students for your advice and insight.

Okay I know this is way too early, but my overly excited father would like to get my books from India cuz apparently they are way cheaper there and you can get the same books.

I don't believe him, but he thinks he's going to save $1000, hahah.

Does anyone know what books we use our first year...or maybe a website that has the list?

Thanks and hope everyone is getting ready for the New Year =)

Okay I know this is way too early, but my overly excited father would like to get my books from India cuz apparently they are way cheaper there and you can get the same books.

I don't believe him, but he thinks he's going to save $1000, hahah.

Does anyone know what books we use our first year...or maybe a website that has the list?

Thanks and hope everyone is getting ready for the New Year =)

From what I've heard, don't buy books right now. Any current students care to chime in on this? You could get Netters, then there are ways to get it for free by joining a club when you get to school, though you have to apply for their credit card.

There may not be that many books that you'd end up getting that getting them from outside would be worth the savings from buying them from outside.

I'm guessing the gunners are going to disregard the above advice and start stocking up regardless and memorizing...:p

Hey guys,
Ill be class of 2011 as well, but I asked a friend whos MS1 right now and he said theres "recommended" books, but the only required one is physiology? Dont know the details of the name though....

Hey guys,
Ill be class of 2011 as well, but I asked a friend whos MS1 right now and he said theres "recommended" books, but the only required one is physiology? Dont know the details of the name though....

Yeah, it's Linda Costanzo's Physiology, 3rd edition, ISBN-10: 1416023208

Seriously, don't worry about books. Buy as you go...buy the ones you need. I bought a crap load of books in the beginning of the semester, and they're doing nothing but laying around in my apartment. They look cool though whenever people come over.

But if you're going to buy books overseas, get a Netter's Color Atlas, Rohen Color Atlas, and the phys book. Anything else, it's up to you. Buy whatever your heart desires.

Thanks so much for the book advice guys! I definitely dont want to buy uneccessary books...and dont worry, certainly no early studying, hahaha...

I agree also, I actally did not buy any books (besides Netters) until after the 2nd week of class or so. They are going to give you a list of "required" books, but do NOT go out and buy all of them! Other than the physiology book, Netters, and Rohen (not required, but I use it more than netters)...I have only purchased a few of the Board Review Series books because I personally like some of them.

It has also been suggested to buy First Aid to get used to using it for studying for Step 1 (but again purely optional). I bought the 2004 version after our anatomy professor suggested it and it was only $9 so I thought why not. I have not really used it, but I think I will next year. Also, most of the books are on reserve at the library...so any books that you may use a couple times can be checked out for 3 hours.

hey guys!

i got into uth first and was really excited. when i got into utsa i was really excited again. i have no idea which one to choose. considering i'm from houston and went to school at rice, i'm actually leaning towards uth. but i don't feel like that's a good enough reason to choose one school over the other. any of ya'll in the same position? which did you choose? any advice would be greatly appreciated :)
~ your maybe future classmate

congrats on the uthscsa acceptance, but I wouldn't call it utsa. utsa and the health science center have nothing to do with each other other than being a part of the UT system and being in the same city. UTSA is a mediocre college at best and saying you go to UTSA in san antonio will certainly confuse a lot of people here if you mean you go to the health science center.

basically, be proud you got into the health science center, not utsa.

oops, my bad. thanks for the correction. i really did mean uthscsa. i forgot that there was also utsa....

so.. advice on uth vs uthscsa, please? :)

Hi y'all! Welcome to UTHSCSA! I'm currently a MS4 here - so shoot me a PM if you have a burning question - since I don't usually check this forum. As far as books go - You'll need a Netter's color atlas, a histology atlas of some kind (I used Wheater's and liked it). If they are still doing Phys like they did when I was a first year - you'll have to get the book because they are the only ones who don't have a full syllabus. Try out different review series books early in the year and decide which style you like (bullets, questions, paragraphs, etc). First Aid for Step 1 will help you in Anatomy.
The people here are great - they are amazingly friendly. Every class has their "too serious" folks who will get on your nerves - unless you are one, then all the "slackers" do ;-). They've got a huge Hispanic Center of Excellence here that apparently has some pretty good benefits... free tutoring and such. Most people get tutoring on some level in Anatomy - the TA's do it on the weekends for $5/hr per person in groups of 4. At the beginning of the year, we all freaked and did it every week for a while, then chilled out and just tutored the weekends before the exams.

For the other poster who was trying to decide between Houston and San Antonio - I felt like the people in SA were more friendly. Plus, I've got a husband and kids, so Houston wouldn't be much fun... I'd spend all my time in the car!
Oh... neighborhoods - if you are interested in renting a house - my neighborhood is a 3-5 minute drive to school, very quiet, and safe. We pay $1000/month for a 3 Br/2.5 bath single family home.
Sorry for the long post! Good luck!