Utility of Away Rotations for "Opening Up" an Entire Region?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RealHumanBean1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I've received really mixed opinions regarding the utility of away rotations, and as such, wanted to ask you all:
Do you feel that an away rotation is helpful for "opening up" an entire region to a candidate that has no ties there? ...especially if that candidate has been confined to one region/state for their entire lives?

In general, I'm from a specific region and have spent my entire life within a specific state in this region. That being said, although I'm interested in remaining in the region I'd also like to be a candidate at academic institutions across the country. I'm really curious if doing an away, for example, in the West, would increase my competitiveness for that entire region or even outside regions in general given that I've been confined to a specific state my entire life (i.e. would doing an away show a willingness to leave my state that would translate into more interviews at institutions outside of my home region).

I realize these things are often specific to the candidate, so I've listed some details in a WAMC format below - but I am NOT asking for opinions on my competitiveness:
Current Status: MS4 (applying in September)
School: Top 50, mid-tier US MD
Step 1: 260
Step 2: Not taken, expect 250-260
Pre-clinical: All passes (pass/fail)
Clinical: H in surgery, pediatrics, neurology, family medicine, ob/gyn, anesthesia; P in psychiatry; expect H in IM
Class rank: Suspect top quartile

If it matters, I'm couples matching with a very competitive candidate to a separate, relatively uncompetitive field that did her undergraduate studies at a prestigious institution outside of the region.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I had a pretty similar app from a mid tier school on the east coast. I didn’t do any aways and still got several interviews in California. However I did get shut out at some of the state schools out west like Colorado, Utah, OHSU. If you’re really trying to go to out west it’s probably worth doing at least one. If you apply to the major programs out there you’ll probably get one or two interviews but a rotation would probably help you get a couple more.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN