Utilization Review/Physician Advisor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Piebaldi

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
How do you go into Utilization review or become a Medical advisor?
A lot of the jobs request "experience" in this setting. How do you get "experience" if no one is willing to hire you for one of thesejobs without experience?

Members don't see this ad.

At my hospital we hired two recently with no experience. They both were well known docs at the hospital. One had been trying to get out of clinics medicine for years, the other had health issues. They key might be that you need to get in when they are starting the program. They were our first two hires.

If admin likes you and you can speak the language (InterQual, MS-DRG and a bunch of other things I don’t understand) you might end up being the best candidate. Probably depends on location. I live in a medium sized town that most people would rather not live in, so they only have so many options. I’m sure it’s harder to get that job in a desirable location.

At my hospital we hired two recently with no experience. They both were well known docs at the hospital. One had been trying to get out of clinics medicine for years, the other had health issues. They key might be that you need to get in when they are starting the program. They were our first two hires.

If admin likes you and you can speak the language (InterQual, MS-DRG and a bunch of other things I don’t understand) you might end up being the best candidate. Probably depends on location. I live in a medium sized town that most people would rather not live in, so they only have so many options. I’m sure it’s harder to get that job in a desirable location.

Well alot of these jobs are remote- but it seems odd - what kind of "expeirence" is there really-none!

I did UR/Med Adv/Assoc Direc for a large-ish insurance company for a while as a part time gig. It was remote, they only needed me parttime as I was filling in while they looked for a full-time physician to staff.

That being said, I had NO experience in this before hand aside from getting ripped a new one every so often by the Case Managers or Hospital-Med Advisor guy. But as smokingmonkey said, it's networking and reputation (if I say so modestly). I ran into their director at some-function and we got along. Spoke to him a few times on the phone regarding difficult cases and while we disagreed, always remained cordial. Another physician recommended me to them when they were searching, met again with their director at another function and after two-three large glasses of wine and my mouth full of food he interviewed me for the position right there and then, and the rest is history.

They ended up offering me the full-time position, but I politely declined. Going into it full-time is not something I'm ready for yet but maybe in another 10-15 years.

Reactions: 1 user
I did UR/Med Adv/Assoc Direc for a large-ish insurance company for a while as a part time gig. It was remote, they only needed me parttime as I was filling in while they looked for a full-time physician to staff.

That being said, I had NO experience in this before hand aside from getting ripped a new one every so often by the Case Managers or Hospital-Med Advisor guy. But as smokingmonkey said, it's networking and reputation (if I say so modestly). I ran into their director at some-function and we got along. Spoke to him a few times on the phone regarding difficult cases and while we disagreed, always remained cordial. Another physician recommended me to them when they were searching, met again with their director at another function and after two-three large glasses of wine and my mouth full of food he interviewed me for the position right there and then, and the rest is history.

They ended up offering me the full-time position, but I politely declined. Going into it full-time is not something I'm ready for yet but maybe in another 10-15 years.

Hi there I tried messaging you but I guess you only allow some profiles to message you. Can I ask what type of salary you got for the position? Not trying to pry just curious about future options. Thanks!

Hi there I tried messaging you but I guess you only allow some profiles to message you. Can I ask what type of salary you got for the position? Not trying to pry just curious about future options. Thanks!

Fixed the problem, but can't message you either, lol. Change your privacy settings too and message me.