UTMB Class of 2009!!!! part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Naijagirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anybody who will be leaving from austin to galveston, either tues or wednesday whom I can get a ride with?

Members don't see this ad.

So I've been back on the island a couple days - I came back the evening before the Mayor opened the island to the general public (the island had been open for the previous day to island residents). Things are improving rapidly. Part of the island is still under a boil order but it's not at all clear who still is/isn't under that order. Hopefully that will become clearer tomorrow. There are three or four restaurants open on the island (Taco Cabana, The Spot, a pizza place on the Seawall) - all of whom are serving limited menus of one or two things. I currently have electricity - I got it back for the first time yesterday and it's kinda something that comes and goes but I have it more often than I don't so I'm happy with that. Both the groceries stores (Kroger's & Randalls) are now open to some extent but I've not been because I'm currently living off the restaurants (I've decided to not wonder about what they're doing to their water wrt the boil order) and my hurricane food that I'd stocked up on back when it seemed like we might have to shelter-in-place for the storm; I don't want to go buy a bunch more perishables to throw away if I loose power again for a few hours later on today. You can buy gas on the island (I know the Mobil station at 23rd & Broadway has gas as does the Randals gas station on 61st st.). ATMs are still empty and most businesses are still closed. When I was out driving last night, there were still large chunks of the island that were dark but I don't know how much of that was areas that have yet to get any electricity at all vs areas that had to be removed briefly from the grid as electricity is restored to more locations (as has happened to me a couple times). If you want to know if you've got power, the best trick for that is, if you have an answering machine attached to your landline, call your Galveston landline and see if your machine picks up. Walgreens on 61st is open for limited hours also.

Eclass has been down for a while - UTMB says IS is working to get all IS functions back online but I can't believe it's taking so long. I'm wondering if it's not an accident - they've got it offline so we don't swamp the boards with ask-the-director questions; just a theory. Speaking of theories, I think the smart money is on a Friday GAR midterm; this allows for Thursday to be used as a day to re-view cadavers (were they un-airconditioned for several days?) and then to take the written in the morning and the practicals in the afternoon - that's my guess. The big question is what happens to the curriculum? We've lost several days. Do we cancel PBL for the rest of the module, reschedule lectures into PBL blocks and add a POM week back in during the week of the GAR final? Do we have class six or seven days a week for the remainder of the module? Do we extend GAR for one week, push MCT back one week and shave a week off of our winter holiday break? They could also extend GAR one week, push MCT back a week and have it span the winter holiday break, push PHD and NHB back a week and then shave a week off of our summer. Or maybe they'll just say, "Hey, this curriculum is all about self-teaching; so self-teach the material we were supposed to have covered during the last week, exams' on Friday, we resume on Monday with the syllabus as published at the beginning of the module." REGARDLESS of which, if any of these, the IMC elects to run with, I would bet your bottom dollar the IMC is more concerned with getting this test over with ASAP and resuming classes ASAP rather than allowing you the prep time to get an ideal score on the exam itself. They're concerned little w/ what your exam score is because the grading scale is up to you guys; the pass/fail line is fixed at being a score 70%, the Honor/High-Pass/Pass lines are based on where you fall within your class on that exam AND (officially) you don't have a GPA or class rank anyway. (However, this is actually a lie but something we can discuss at a later date.)

Yeah, until we hear word late Tuesday night, I'm assuming that we have a Friday midterm & that they will try to keep GAR self-contained (ie, try to finish in 3 weeks and not go into MCT). Otherwise, they have to work out the curriculum with the MCT directors (I suppose if they are good friends and ask "pretty please" it could happen).

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, we get to spend our weekend writting the professionalism essay. Joy of joys.
Ah well, it was nice while it lasted :p

Looking for someone in your class named Sandra from Dallas. Her old email address doesn't work. -Tiffany

Hey everyone,

In an effort to add a little diversity to our commencement ceremony, as well as share the honor off getting to participate in it, I was hoping we could post our commencement survey responses. Before I go any further, I want to say that Karnath, Beach, and the other past honorees are all incredibly deserving, and I'm not trying to take away from them. I just feel that sometimes, its too easy to go with the "rockstar" clinicians/basic scientists and leave out some lesser known individuals.

So, my picks are below, and I'm going to hold off on submitting my response, in case I like someone else's picks better.

best,
garet

1. administer the oath: Ben Raimer
2. Clinical Faculty Member for the Hooding Ceremony: Ronald Lindsey
3. Basic Sciences Faculty Member for the Hooding Ceremony: Brian Miller
4. CLINICAL faculty member for the James W. Powers Memorial Award: William Mileski

I am not sure what the official administration view on bringing back people who were laid off but I am planning on (already did actually...) vote for William Nealon for hooding and the clinical faculty award. Dr. Nealon was an amazing and dedicated faculty member who I don't want just forgotten because some people decided he was not important to the institution. I would also advocate for Dr. Ben Raimer as Garet mentioned. He is involved in mentoring many students and is very awesome :)