<<<UTMB Class of 2012!!!>>>

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone have a good understanding of our option to spend our 3rd and 4th years in austin? If so, i'd really appreciate it if you could share that with us. In particular, i've heard that we can spend our entire 3rd and 4th years in austin. is that true? thanks.
 
Does anyone have a good understanding of our option to spend our 3rd and 4th years in austin? If so, i'd really appreciate it if you could share that with us. In particular, i've heard that we can spend our entire 3rd and 4th years in austin. is that true? thanks.

Lots of good stuff here.
http://meded.utmb.edu/orme/AustinInformation.htm

This includes some comparisons of the Galv and Austin clerkships
http://meded.utmb.edu/orme/Year3Schedule Info/07-08/Y3PLANNING030507_files/frame.htm
 
Has anybody heard anything about scholarships or should I just assume that I wasn't offered one?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know the pros and cons to these condos by UTMB? Or any other good locations to buy? Thanks!

Harbor East Condominiums
Marina Pointe Condominiums
Mariner House Condominiums

Port Aux Princes Condominiums​
 
Hey all, I have a quick question that hopefully someone can help me with. I interviewed in Galveston a few months ago but was not offered admission in November. Does anyone know if many people will be accepted in the match?

Also does anyone know what the average MCAT accepted is?

Thanks!
 
Does anyone know the pros and cons to these condos by UTMB? Or any other good locations to buy? Thanks!

Harbor East Condominiums
Marina Pointe Condominiums
Mariner House Condominiums

Port Aux Princes Condominiums​

Haha...I was about to refer you a website, but I think its the one where you got those. I've heard of students living in all of them. I have an apt, and I really don't know much about them. If you haven't already, you might do a search for them in the old class threads and join the facebook group...several current students are on there and probably know more. Somebody also recommended a particular realtor. I thought you had UTSW in your sig? Either way, we're glad to have ya.
 
Hey all, I have a quick question that hopefully someone can help me with. I interviewed in Galveston a few months ago but was not offered admission in November. Does anyone know if many people will be accepted in the match?

Also does anyone know what the average MCAT accepted is?

Thanks!

Last year they matched 15. This year they seem to have not prematched as many...at least because some people just got accepted a few days ago, which didn't happen last year and they only do once the class falls below 230. I think there were also more int dates after 11-15, and last year they mainly used those people as the pool for the match...hang in there though, who knows. I think avg MCAT right after the match last year was a shade over 30, and at matriculation was a 29.
 
Haha...I was about to refer you a website, but I think its the one where you got those. I've heard of students living in all of them. I have an apt, and I really don't know much about them. If you haven't already, you might do a search for them in the old class threads and join the facebook group...several current students are on there and probably know more. Somebody also recommended a particular realtor. I thought you had UTSW in your sig? Either way, we're glad to have ya.
I did have UTSW in my sig, but was offered a spot at UTMB. I chose UTMB because of the curriculum. It may seem kind of ridiculous to some, but I felt I would do much better with PBL.😀
 
I did have UTSW in my sig, but was offered a spot at UTMB. I chose UTMB because of the curriculum. It may seem kind of ridiculous to some, but I felt I would do much better with PBL.😀

Naaa, not ridiculous. You'll find quite a few people here who made the same decision you did for similar reasons, myself included.
 
anybody hear anything from the school yet? I mailed the acceptance thing and haven't heard back yet. Everytime I call the admissions office noone picks up....
 
For those of you waiting to hear back after accepting prematch -- we didn't get anything last year until after the match. They sent a huge packet of stuff including the official acceptance letter, and I assume they waited until they had a full class roster so they wouldn't have to do it in batches.
 
I have some questions for lilTXcat:

1) Do you have access to the workout facilities (i.e. included in tuition) or is that an extra fee?

2) Im just wondering about your typical test schedule. Is it really only one class, one test? Heard about it during my interview day, but I am skeptical.

Leaning heavily towards UTMB. Thanks
 
1) Yes, its included.

2) You have 1 written and 1 lab exam at midterm and the same combo at the end of the course. These are spaced a month apart 1st year, and I think 3 weeks apart 2nd year (the courses are shorter). It is wonderful....
 
Little more info for #2.)
Yes, we only have one major course per 8 weeks. However we do have POM - Practice of Medicine (actually learn to be a steth-toting real doc) for the entire first two years. There is one POM test in December and another at the end of April in the first year. They aren't really "studying" type tests though.
For the first course GAR - you have 1 written midterm and 1 lab midterm and the same for finals. For MCT - 1 written midterm, 1 written final, 1 lab final. For PHD - 1 written midterm, 1 written final, 1 lab final. Midterms and finals are 4 weeks apart and not the same week as POM exams.
GAR is the only course where Lab exams are weighed heavily, and they are multiple choice exams. I think MCT lab exam was only 12% (most everyone who had attended lab made 100s) and the PHD lab exam is 20% with multiple choice questions.

My current schedule for PHD - 8-12 on MWF, 10-12 on TR plus 1-4pm for POM on Wednesdays only.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The POM class sounded like it would be interesting. Can you expand a bit on what you go over in the class? Thanks.
 
The POM class sounded like it would be interesting. Can you expand a bit on what you go over in the class? Thanks.

It's small groups that meet for 3 hours once a week, and you learn how to do physical exams (on standardized patients), how to do patient interviews, the ethics of medicine, presenting cases from shadowing in the community and (where you practice all your skills on actual patients in a clinic) and learning the shorthand involved with that (how you're supposed to present cases in morning rounds). You are assigned a clinic which you visit 4 times in 1st year (Clinical site visit). One of the tests that we did in October was an OSCE (which I have no clue what that stands for) but we give a physical to a standardized patient in those rooms they took you to during interviews that are set up like a doctors office, and they're taped and graded.
 
For the students currently attending UTMB, what can you tell me about doing your clinical rotations elsewhere, say the TMC? Is it relatively easy or hard to make this happen and is it something that many students utilize? Thanks.
 
Most of the UTMB students that read this are 1st years so we can't comment based on personal experiences for elective rotations. Third year required rotations are either in a UTMB-Galveston or Austin based setting. Galveston does have some more outpatient setting in the League City and Clear Lake areas where you may be do pedi, ob/gyn, or family med. Electives during 4th year can be done anywhere in the world...TMC, UTSW, South Africa, Nicaragua, India, etc. Most students choose to do at least one away elective during this time.
 
Hey guys. First, congrats on acceptances, and I will see you in the fall. I finally decided to choose UTMB over UTSW. Even with the decision made, I think the ulcers are going to continue the party until it sinks in that I am not going to be a hobo. Yesterday, UTMB offered me a scholarship, which is great, but I was hoping that they would hold off on the financial stuff until later. Does anyone know if they will give more grants or scholarships after my FAFSA is complete? Again, congrats to everyone.
 
Does anyone know the pros and cons to these condos by UTMB? Or any other good locations to buy? Thanks!

Harbor East Condominiums
Marina Pointe Condominiums
Mariner House Condominiums

Port Aux Princes Condominiums​

Hi, I am a second year med student at UTMB, and I live in Marina Pointe. There are a ton of medical students who live in Marina Pointe and Port Aux Prince (they are right next to each other). I don't know much about Mariner House or Harbor East. Marina Pointe is nice because it's gated and close to school (I ride my bike, it takes about 5 minutes). Port Aux Prince is also close but is not gated. If you don't want to buy a condo you can buy a house, Fish village is a popular area (it's close to campus and a nice neighborhood), or there are plenty of houses within a few blocks of campus, but I would definitely check it out carefully to make sure that it's not a sketchy area (it's hard to make generalizations about what parts of Galveston are sketchy). Living in Galveston is a pretty unique opportunity to live in an old Victorian home that may have withstood the 1900 hurricane =)

If anyone has any other questions I will be happy to answer them. Congrats on your acceptance!
 
I just wanted to bump this thread up to see if we could get this forum going again. I recently decided I am going to attend UTMB. Does anyone know if there are scholarship possibilities after filling the FAFSA? UTMB has awarded me some, but I just wanted to know if there might be more.
 
Hey everyone,
I am a first year, and I just wanted to make myself available if anyone had any questions about UTMB Fraternities. So feel free to contact me.

Just so you know we do have parties once in a while, but we also have some members who are ranked in the tops of their classes

work hard play hard is the motto

and I dont have anything bad to say about any of the fraternities, they are all great people, just different groups of people
 
Theta Kappa Psi, the UTMB chapter started in 1917, we got lots of alumni...even faculty at UTMB

TKY information may not have been sent out in your UTMB welcome packet, this is because we are not owned by UTMB.

Feel free to PM me and I will give your more info if you like
 
Hello Gang,

Congrats on acceptances. Its a great feeling, enjoy it.

I am a second year here at UTMB living in TKY. We are an independent Medical Fraternity. We are not like college frats, i.e. we want you to do well in school and have fun doing it.

Top reasons I would choose TKY:
1. Best Friends you will ever make in your life.
2. Great support from the Upper Classmates with class, boards and everything else.
3. Most of your Upper classmates in TKY are your official UTMB tutors.
4. 5 mins from your class.
5. Biggest Parties where you can meet the ladies.
6. Read Number 5 again.
7. Its dirt cheap. You will come out with barely any loans.
8. We have our own pool table, huge TV, pool and our own Chef (with us since 1986).

If interested feel free to contact me for more info. We will be organizing Friday cookouts for new first years to come by and meet the current members. Hit me up for the dates.

Email: [email protected]

Paul.

http://thetakappapsi.com/
 
Hey Paul and TKY,

I am incoming first year and am looking at fraternity housing. My cousins are down there - one is a first year and the other a third year - and they recomended your house. How quiet is the house around studying time? Can you study there or do you have to go somewhere else? I also heard you guys have a chef and eat 9 meals a week? He also mentioned good board scores there? Whats the scoop?

Thanks,

Kenneth
 
Hey Paul and TKY,

I am incoming first year and am looking at fraternity housing. My cousins are down there - one is a first year an the other a third year - and they recomended your house. How quiet is the house around studying time? Can you study there or do you have to go somewhere else? I also heard you guys have a chef and eat 9 meals a week? He also mentioned good board scores there? Whats the scoop?

Thanks,

Kenneth


The house is great. I do all my studying in my room and have never had a problem with noise or distractions. In fact I think studying in the house is the best place for me because if I am ever confused about something there is ALWAYS plenty of upperclassman to ask. Let me say it this way, my tutor lives 2 doors down the hall from me (UTMB organizes upperclassman tutor/review sessions), the president of AOA lives next to him, at the end of the hallway lives a guy who got the highest board score at UTMB last year and across the hall lives another guy who rocked his boards.

I am not saying I am guaranteed good grades by living here, but their advice and help does come in handy.

We have a chef who cooks 9 meals a week, he is used to cook on a cruise ship and is awesome. He makes some mean fajitas.

All meals and utilities are included in rent which is just $350 a month.

I walk to class (5-7 minutes), tried driving once but it took longer, seriously.

As was previously mentioned we have a pool, pool tables, foosball, a brand new 65inch tv, etc.

The coolest part about the guys here is during the week they are great to ask advice from and over the weekend these same guys are great to go out to the bars with.

If anyone wants to come hang out and meet the guys we have a guest room and I would be more than happy to show you around campus and galveston

let me know
 
Welcome to the new Match Day accepted Galveston people. We're excited to have you. The next step is to join the facebook group. Search for "UTMB School of Medicine c/o 2012."
 
Hey!

I am now so psyched about fall! I can't wait to get my white coat in front of Old Red.

UTMB is the best med school ever!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have some questions for lilTXcat:

1) Do you have access to the workout facilities (i.e. included in tuition) or is that an extra fee?

2) Im just wondering about your typical test schedule. Is it really only one class, one test? Heard about it during my interview day, but I am skeptical.

Leaning heavily towards UTMB. Thanks

Hello, I'm a second year med student. The first years can tell you more about there testing schedule, I really don't even remember. In second year there really isn't even labs, you get most of that done first year. We are in endocrinology now. The courses are shorter but there is more material to learn, go figure. Actually we have a test tomorrow, I've been busting my butt and I'm sure you will find yourself doing the same thing. For endocrinology, there are two tests...midterm and final. No lab test. Supposedly there will be 70 questions, with 6 being image identification. There is a webpath webpage, very helpful for these images. Keep that in mind. 🙂 Two hours to take the test.

However, as others mentioned their is also POM. 2nd year POM is not really the same as first year, of course. This year it is more geared towards evidence based medicine...searching for research articles, presenting them to small group...also you will still be doing patient encounters, whether it is taped, or whether a simulated patient comes into your small group. The POM is a good thing in my opinion. The material between POM and course modules correlate well with each other.

I've probably spoken too much about that. 🙄 Please feel free to shoot me any questions or PMs.

I'm sure you guys will love UTMB. It is really a great school, with good people and good academics. You will learn a lot.

Congratulations.
 
hi everyone -- so I finally registered for SDN and I figured I'd say hello! can't wait to meet everyone! 🙂
 
where is everybody?? there are barely any posts....

not many future UTMB folks on SDN??
 
Congratulations and welcome!

I have introduced myself around the boards before, but I'm a first year student here and am willing to answer any questions you might have - living arrangements, schedules, books, etc. Feel free to PM me 🙂
 
I finally made my decision, and I'm definitely headed to utmb in the fall; am incredibly excited!! 😀 can't wait to meet everybody! does anyone know if they do a second look type weekend?
 
hey future utmb students!
if anyone's looking for apartments already, i have a really cute place that will be available by May (great for prematriculation). its 1/4 of an old victorian house = really big and has great victorian architecture. i wish i could live here forever but i'm moving out to live with 2 other girls next year. my rent's $550/month. if you want to see it or hear more about it. email [email protected]
 
Does anyone know the pros and cons to these condos by UTMB? Or any other good locations to buy? Thanks!

Harbor East Condominiums
Marina Pointe Condominiums
Mariner House Condominiums

Port Aux Princes Condominiums​

Someone already touched on these, but all I know is that Marina pointe is on the bay, so the units that face that way have a water view (especially if you're on the second floor; some of the 2nd floor units even have 2 stories!) It is gated, so it is probably more expensive than Port Aux Princes, which is right next door, and about 1 minute walk closer to UTMB. Port Aux Princes seems like a very well-maintained complex; the lawn is always immaculate and the buildings look quite nice. These two condominiums are right next to Fish Village, which has been mentioned. Fish village is a neighborhood of small 1950s houses where all of the streets are named after fish, and is inhabited by mostly medical students, residents, fellows, a few faculty, and nurses/ other medical staff. This is where I live and honestly if you're looking for a house under $200,000 Fish village is probably the best bet as far as relatively new houses, proximity to UTMB, and good neighbors.

Now time for my plug- I have a 1170sf 2 bedroom, 1 bath, 1 car garage house for sale in Fish village. It is in quite nice shape. $129,900.

frontyardjuly06.jpg

DSCF0808.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b125/surgeon83/second%20album/roomforrent007.jpg

email me if you want to see more pictures

Brian
 
Just wanted to say hey to everyone. I'm pumped about being in the class of 2012. I finally chose UTMB over UTSW. I know I made the right choice for my fiance and me. Looking forward to meeting everyone. Does anyone in the other classes know whether Texas City has any good housing options. Also, if you could, comment on the commute, hassle or not a big deal?
 
Just wanted to say hey to everyone. I'm pumped about being in the class of 2012. I finally chose UTMB over UTSW. I know I made the right choice for my fiance and me. Looking forward to meeting everyone. Does anyone in the other classes know whether Texas City has any good housing options. Also, if you could, comment on the commute, hassle or not a big deal?

Not sure about Tx City, but a lot of couples/students live in the Clear Lake/League City area..its very nice. I think the commute is like 30-40 minutes, but its easy...really no traffic.
 
Hey guys anyone heard from UTMB? No word since pre-matched in Nov. here.
 
It's like having this great one night stand (Nov. 15th) and never hearing from her again hahaha.
 
If you want to make yourself feel better just go to TMDSAS and see the words "School Matched: University of Texas -Galveston." Its as if your one night stand left you a calling card w/ her friend 😍
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you want to make yourself feel better just go to TMDSAS and see the words "School Matched: University of Texas -Galveston." Its as if your one night stand left you a calling card w/ her friend 😍

:laugh:

i get excited every time i check the mail🙂..... and then I see nothing from UTMB and the excitement goes away... 🙁

today this huge envelope came in the mail and I was like "OMG its here!! its here!!".. and it turned out to be junk mail about life insurance for my dad👎
 
I actually just called the school regarding this whole packet nonsense and they said that they wouldn't begin mailing anything until after the 1st of march. So i guess its gonna one of those one night stands that goes on hiatus for a while.....
 
I actually just called the school regarding this whole packet nonsense and they said that they wouldn't begin mailing anything until after the 1st of march. So i guess its gonna one of those one night stands that goes on hiatus for a while.....

thanks for the info.......