General Admissions & OTCAS UTMB MOT vs TWU MOT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

APT1215

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

If anyone attends either of these Texas schools I would appreciate your input. I was curious about both MOT programs, basically the pros and cons or any other information you feel would be helpful and beneficial.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

What would you like to know? I just finished my first year (3 semesters) at TWU.

Which campus are you at?How is the program so far? How are the teachers? Do they really teach and help you learn/understand? Thanks for replying, I appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also looking to apply to TWU. Lucky are you willing to share your stats?

I go to the Houston campus. My undergrad GPA was around a 3.5 but my prereqs were between 3.8-3.9. I did 50 hours of shadowing but only 20 were required--I needed more for other places and I'm sure it looked good having more, but I wouldn't go overboard with hundreds of hours. I was involved in a ton of extracurricular activities in undergrad and worked throughout undergrad and for 3 years after. My class had interviews but this fall's entering class didn't--there were 100 of us that interviewed and 42 got in. I'm not sure if they'll bring back interviews next year but I'm guessing it depends on how well things go with this upcoming class. The program is definitely challenging but also doable. As a whole the professors are decent--they are all very accomplished--but prefer to use a "flipped classroom" approach which means you spend a LOT of time studying, reading, and learning on your own. The general consensus of my class is that the first semester was the hardest, the second was the easiest, and this summer was pretty miserable (mainly because it was a full semester packed into 10 weeks). My classmates are amazing and after everything we've been through with this program we are pretty much a big family. FYI-we have 41 in our class now, but the one that dropped out took place within the first month of school because she was 9 months pregnant...she'll be starting the program again in Dallas this fall :) Overall my feelings toward the program are pretty positive. It has a great reputation, the Houston campus has the benefit of being located in the biggest Medical Center in the world, its affordable for both in and out of state students, and has high NBCOT pass rates...that's really all I'm concerned with at this point.

Oh and my last 60 GPA was high...I want to say 3.8. My cumulative was lower due to having a rough time freshman year with calculus, zoology, physics, organic chem...needless to say I stopped taking premed courses. Haha. I also had about 100 volunteer hours from various places. I can't remember what else would be relevant to you...

I spoke to someone at TWU and actually was turned off by what they told me. I have a cumulative GPA of 3.44 (which isn't amazing, I know) and a prerquisite GPA of 4.0. I was pretty much told my application wouldn't be looked at because of my cumulative GPA. Therefore, I won't bother wasting my time applying there. I guess I'm glad she told me beforehand before I put in the time and effort getting an app together!

I go to the Houston campus. My undergrad GPA was around a 3.5 but my prereqs were between 3.8-3.9. I did 50 hours of shadowing but only 20 were required--I needed more for other places and I'm sure it looked good having more, but I wouldn't go overboard with hundreds of hours. I was involved in a ton of extracurricular activities in undergrad and worked throughout undergrad and for 3 years after. My class had interviews but this fall's entering class didn't--there were 100 of us that interviewed and 42 got in. I'm not sure if they'll bring back interviews next year but I'm guessing it depends on how well things go with this upcoming class. The program is definitely challenging but also doable. As a whole the professors are decent--they are all very accomplished--but prefer to use a "flipped classroom" approach which means you spend a LOT of time studying, reading, and learning on your own. The general consensus of my class is that the first semester was the hardest, the second was the easiest, and this summer was pretty miserable (mainly because it was a full semester packed into 10 weeks). My classmates are amazing and after everything we've been through with this program we are pretty much a big family. FYI-we have 41 in our class now, but the one that dropped out took place within the first month of school because she was 9 months pregnant...she'll be starting the program again in Dallas this fall :) Overall my feelings toward the program are pretty positive. It has a great reputation, the Houston campus has the benefit of being located in the biggest Medical Center in the world, its affordable for both in and out of state students, and has high NBCOT pass rates...that's really all I'm concerned with at this point.

Thanks Lucky for replying and giving so much info. My current GPA is 3.5 but i still have about yeah and a half left of undergrad. I just wanted to see if I even had a chance to get in. I see so many different high GPA stats for TWU that I have no idea how low of a GPA their willing to except. Thanks again

Hello, I am interviewing with TWU Houston next month and was wondering if you could give me some insight as to how your interview went. What questions were asked? Did you have to write an essay? If so, what was the topic?

Thank you sooo much in advance!