UTMB Update

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cdmarshbu

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
.This is directly from UTMB so I thought this might be good information to post:

"In response to the many rumors and concerns about admissions to the School of Medicine at UTMB for the fall of 2009, I would like to post the following :.

.Status of the Admissions Process to the School of Medicine at UTMB.

.The School of Medicine at UTMB is not in danger of closing and there are no plans to move the school to Austin. We will be accepting a full class of 230 for entry in the fall of 2009. UTMB remains fully accredited by the LCME..

.We are conducting interviews at UTHSC in Houston on Fridays through December 19 and may offer an additional interview day in early January. We will be making offers of acceptance throughout the TMDSAS open admissions period (November 15-December 31)..

.UTMB survived significant damage to the 1st floor of the majority of its buildings, but tremendous progress has been made to return to normal function. First and second year students returned to classes on the UTMB Galveston campus on October 20. Adjustments have been made to the curriculum and both first and second year students will begin there next year of study on time. The total loss of school time amounted to 5 ½ weeks. Third and fourth year students have been temporarily relocated to our Austin campus and other Texas medical school campuses. Third and fourth year students will begin returning to Galveston in January 2009 and we expect to have all third and fourth year students at our Galveston and Austin campuses under the direct supervision of UTMB faculty by July 2009, the beginning of the next academic year. While we continue to make steady progress in the post recovery phase, we anticipate a full recovery in the months ahead.".

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, they are interviewing, but one should think carefully about attending. The hospital is decreasing to 200 beds. Support staff is being layed off. This WILL affect the running of the medical school as it is the support staff who does the day to day legwork. Some residency programs are not even accepting applications for 2009. Is this really where one would want to go to school??? UT Houston and Baylor are 45 minutes up the road. Why go to a medical school that is falling apart?? :confused:

though im a bit bitter than they havent offered me an interview... i still think it's a solid school. it's unfortunate that ike had to happen but UTH and baylor are just up the road. i dont know if theyre downplaying how this will impact the students or not. hard to tell

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, they are interviewing, but one should think carefully about attending. The hospital is decreasing to 200 beds. Support staff is being layed off. This WILL affect the running of the medical school as it is the support staff who does the day to day legwork. Some residency programs are not even accepting applications for 2009. Is this really where one would want to go to school??? UT Houston and Baylor are 45 minutes up the road. Why go to a medical school that is falling apart?? :confused:

Not everyone that gets accepted to UTMB is going to get accepted at UT-Houston/Baylor.....

Not everyone that gets accepted to UTMB is going to get accepted at UT-Houston/Baylor.....

That is very true. I am very fortunate to get pre-matches from UTH and UTMB and am having a difficult time deciding. I love the curriculum at utmb but don't like the uncertainty of what the future might entail.