UTMB vs TTUHSC DPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J21

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I have been accepted to both Texas Tech and UTMB's DPT programs. Does anybody have any opinions on the schools or city where they are located? Or anybody that attends either school? What are the pros and cons from experience? Grad Schools U.S. News has them ranked with the same overall score, and I can't make up my mind.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a first year PT student at UTMB. Galveston is a great place to live. It's a very laid back environment and there's always something going on in the city, which can be a nice study break if you're feeling stressed or anxious. I personally will go out and walk around on the beach for 20 minutes to relax. I could not be happier with this program. The professors are phenomenal. One of my favorite things about them is how supportive they are. All of the faculty want you to make it through the entire program. They will do whatever they can to help keep you from failing. Of course it is on you to put in the work and study, but they will work with you if they see you are struggling or if you come to them asking for help. My classmates are like my family. We are all incredibly close and are always willing to help each other when we are having a hard time. Before you come to school you are assigned a "big". They are a 2nd year student and are also there to help you with anything you need. The campus is beautiful and our facilities are top notch. I honestly don't think I can come up with any cons for the program because I'm enjoying my time here so much. I've never loved school more. If I can give you any advice, I would say to ignore the ratings completely. Go with whatever school feels right for you and the environment where you feel you will be the most successful. Good luck with your decision and feel free to ask me any questions you may have about the program.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm a first year PT student at UTMB. Galveston is a great place to live. It's a very laid back environment and there's always something going on in the city, which can be a nice study break if you're feeling stressed or anxious. I personally will go out and walk around on the beach for 20 minutes to relax. I could not be happier with this program. The professors are phenomenal. One of my favorite things about them is how supportive they are. All of the faculty want you to make it through the entire program. They will do whatever they can to help keep you from failing. Of course it is on you to put in the work and study, but they will work with you if they see you are struggling or if you come to them asking for help. My classmates are like my family. We are all incredibly close and are always willing to help each other when we are having a hard time. Before you come to school you are assigned a "big". They are a 2nd year student and are also there to help you with anything you need. The campus is beautiful and our facilities are top notch. I honestly don't think I can come up with any cons for the program because I'm enjoying my time here so much. I've never loved school more. If I can give you any advice, I would say to ignore the ratings completely. Go with whatever school feels right for you and the environment where you feel you will be the most successful. Good luck with your decision and feel free to ask me any questions you may have about the program.

I do like how the breaks are evenly spaced out throughout the year. Do students get access to the facility at any time of the day or night?(helpful if you want to go study) My concern is how expensive housing is in the area. Did you have a hard time finding an affordable place?

Members don't see this ad :)
I do like how the breaks are evenly spaced out throughout the year. Do students get access to the facility at any time of the day or night?(helpful if you want to go study) My concern is how expensive housing is in the area. Did you have a hard time finding an affordable place?
With your ID you have 24/7 access to our main facility, which is a great place to study. This is also the building with the cadaver lab so you can go in there any time to study for anatomy. You also have 24/7 access to old red, which also has a lot of great study rooms including group study rooms and a silent study area. Housing is actually extremely cheap. My house is fully furnished with all utilities included for $500 a month. There are some people in my class who pay as low as $420 for apartments with all utilities included. UTMB also has an apartment complex for students so if that's something you want to look into, check their website and try to get on it early. They tend to fill up pretty fast.

I graduated from TTUHSC in May and I cannot say a single bad thing about the program! I absolutely loved it! The faculty was excellent and went above and beyond for their students and wanted us all to succeed. I felt very prepared for clinicals and for boards. I'll be honest, I was not thrilled about moving to Lubbock, but it actually really grew on me and I decided to stay here. The cost of living is good too, a lot of us lived in the Tech Terrace neighborhood paying around $500. I'm from the Galveston area, so I'll admit it may not have the appeal of the beach, but there are still fun things to do and you will become so close with your classmates that y'all will always find a way to have a good time! You will have 24/7 access to the main school building and the library is open til midnight I believe. Lots of great coffee shops in the area for studying too!