UTMB vs TWU Houston DPT Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPT0205

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everybody.
I have been accepted to both UTMB and TWU Houston's DPT programs. I only have about a week left to decide.
Does anybody have any opinions to compare the two schools?...or know of anybody that attends either?
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats!I applied to both schools and was accepted to UTMB Early Decision and I haven't heard from TWU. When i started this whole application process TWU was my number 1 choice but after going to the UTMB interview I am not so sure anymore. I live in the Dallas area so I applied to TWU Dallas. I haven't been on the campus itself but I have heard good things about the program.

You have a lot of things to consider here (not listed in order of importance)
  1. Location (Galveston vs Houston)- u are going to spend three years there after all
  2. Program cost and financial aid-which school has better financial aid
  3. Cost of living (probably the same, really don't much about this area)
  4. Which faculty did you like the most?
  5. Did you like the vibe of other students who were interviewed?
  6. Graduation and pass rates?
I know it's tough weighing pros and cons for both school but I feel like you won't go wrong with either one. They are both solid programs with different strengths and weaknesses. I hear TWU is research based and UTMB is need based. I did lots of research during my undergrad and I don't think I want more of it. But if research based is what you like then...TWU for you. All the PTs I shadowed graduated from TWU and they seemed great and doing just fine in the field but I regret not having a chance to compare them with PTs who went to other schools. Good luck. Please let us know what you decide if that's OK with you.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much, @ishadpt. Your comment was very insightful! It is difficult for me to decide because I have not had to interview for either school before getting acceptance. Hence, I have not toured their facility, met the staff, or met any other of my potential classmates. They just gave me a short time frame to accept or decline.. I will see if they will postpone the deadline so that I may visit the programs.

Did you accept UTMB or are still thinking?

Congratulations to you!!

Members don't see this ad :)
When I was accepted to TWU (Dallas) two years ago, they didn't require a deposit in order to accept. Is that still the case? If so, you can accept in order to give yourself time to tour the facility and meet the faculty and students. The Dallas campus has a new/potential student forum in Jan or Feb for this purpose, to give tours and allow potential students to meet the faculty and current students. Does the Houston campus do something similar? If not, I'm sure you can contact them to arrange for a tour. I can't imagine making this decision without even visiting the campuses. Two years ago, I accepted TWU's early decision offer in September while waiting to hear from another program, and didn't make my final decision until February or March.

I accepted UTMB's offer and they told me that I had to pay the deposit by Dec 1. Go and visit both campuses and meet with faculty. I think it's important for you to meet the faculty.

TWU Houston is awesome, but I'm partial because I'm in my first year there. One thing you should check into before going to any school are their grading standards. We found out at orientation that we can only get 2 Cs (final course grades) throughout our entire education there. Also when it comes to skills practical we can only get below an 80 twice throughout the program also. It's not necessarily the programs standards but it's actually the graduate program standards. I really think that's why TWU accepts higher GPAs because of the rigor of the program.
I say all that not to deter you from TWU but to say that TWU will most definitely prepare you. I'm sure other programs hear similar things but we've been told that the feedback about our students is that we are the most prepared when it comes to going out into the field for clinicals.

TWU Houston is awesome, but I'm partial because I'm in my first year there. One thing you should check into before going to any school are their grading standards. We found out at orientation that we can only get 2 Cs (final course grades) throughout our entire education there. Also when it comes to skills practical we can only get below an 80 twice throughout the program also. It's not necessarily the programs standards but it's actually the graduate program standards. I really think that's why TWU accepts higher GPAs because of the rigor of the program.
I say all that not to deter you from TWU but to say that TWU will most definitely prepare you. I'm sure other programs hear similar things but we've been told that the feedback about our students is that we are the most prepared when it comes to going out into the field for clinicals.

I have little doubt that I would have trouble with the program but the possibility of being kicked out of a DPT program at any point in your education is scary to say the least. Who knows that could happen as life has unexpected events that even the best students may be unable to be avoid. Have students in your class been removed from the program so far? If you make below an 80 twice, is it automatic dismissal? Good grief!

I have little doubt that I would have trouble with the program but the possibility of being kicked out of a DPT program at any point in your education is scary to say the least. Who knows that could happen as life has unexpected events that even the best students may be unable to be avoid. Have students in your class been removed from the program so far? If you make below an 80 twice, is it automatic dismissal? Good grief!
I go to TWU Dallas, and I haven't heard of anyone being kicked out of the program for grades, in my class nor the two classes ahead of me. There were a couple of students in my class that had to drop for personal (non-academic) reasons, but they started the program again the following year. I do know of a small handful of people who have left the program (maybe a couple from each class), perhaps for academic reasons or changing their goals, but were not kicked out.

I go to TWU Dallas, and I haven't heard of anyone being kicked out of the program for grades, in my class nor the two classes ahead of me. There were a couple of students in my class that had to drop for personal (non-academic) reasons, but they started the program again the following year. I do know of a small handful of people who have left the program (maybe a couple from each class), perhaps for academic reasons or changing their goals, but were not kicked out.

Thanks for the info as always, twu seems awesome overall.

Only 1 person has left so far and it was for personal reasons. She had a toddler and long commute. If you do poorly you can go through a process to come back the next year and retake the classes you didn't pass. The people that do that are the ones who had major life events occur during the program.
Anyone else who just has a hard time getting the material has tons of support from our professors and fellow classmates. We'd never give up anyone in our class without a fight! :)
Also, every program will have standards in which you can be "cut". TWU isn't alone in this.

Hey DPT0205. Did you make up your mind? I got an acceptance call from Mary Beth today :soexcited:. I thought I had made up my mind about UTMB but now I think I am reconsidering. lol. I think I am just excited to get into all the schools that I applied to.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey DPT0205. Did you make up your mind? I got an acceptance call from Mary Beth today :soexcited:. I thought I had made up my mind about UTMB but now I think I am reconsidering. lol. I think I am just excited to get into all the schools that I applied to.

Congrats!! :clap:

You guys have been wonderful with all of your comments! I did not know about the academic cutting after two 80s... so that it good to know and to be prepared for.

@BAKE84 @ishadpt
I have chosen to go to TWU Houston for the DPT program! DPT students have their own cadaver lab (not shared with any other discipline), so that was a big plus! I also believe that it is great that the school is located in middle of such a profound medical district. Have you guys made your final decisions yet??? Congrats ishadpt on such a great accomplishment!

Reactions: 1 users
You guys have been wonderful with all of your comments! I did not know about the academic cutting after two 80s... so that it good to know and to be prepared for.

@BAKE84 @ishadpt
I have chosen to go to TWU Houston for the DPT program! DPT students have their own cadaver lab (not shared with any other discipline), so that was a big plus! I also believe that it is great that the school is located in middle of such a profound medical district. Have you guys made your final decisions yet??? Congrats ishadpt on such a great accomplishment!

Yay!!!!!! You're gonna love it!!!!