Utmb

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trjb

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any information on this program? Is it regarded as a top program or not? Research versus clinically oriented? Any info is helpful. I am one of the few actually from Galveston and would like to return there eventually.

Members don't see this ad.

trjb said:
Does anyone have any information on this program? Is it regarded as a top program or not? Research versus clinically oriented? Any info is helpful. I am one of the few actually from Galveston and would like to return there eventually.

The program has nice folks (esp. Martin Colman), and has MLC-based IMRT. A physicisit buddy has told me that the strengths ( access to solid basic science research resources, relaxed but productive clinical atmosphere, get to live in Galveston) and weaknesses (i.e. small program, comparatively underfunded, close enough to Houston that paying patients bail for MDA, no PAC sysyem or PET on-site, have to live in Galveston) of the Department are linked to the inherent situation at UTMB generally, which if you're from Galveston you already know...

The medical students from Texas who rotated there said the benefit of a stay was that since they get comparatively little interest from students vs. Baylor or MDA, they are thrilled when someone makes it clear that UTMB is a "top choice" and tend to give you more attention than at places that are flooded with applicants...

Is not having a PAC system a big deal?

Members don't see this ad :)
Deleted

Last edited:
My rank list is complete with the exception of whether to put Emory ahead of UTMB or vice versa. Overall, I like both programs equally which is why the confusion. Any suggestions??