Utmb

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nimbus

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If the story is correct (hospital beds cut by more than 50%), they'll have to release some residents.

If the story is correct (hospital beds cut by more than 50%), they'll have to release some residents.
our good friend said there's talk of foregoing the boutique MD/PhD program in Austin and just relocating UTMB there or Roundrock. they have the money, but it's just not worth the $700 million to rebuild on the island. all those plans for the RAHC may be expedited now as well...

Members don't see this ad :)
our good friend said there's talk of foregoing the boutique MD/PhD program in Austin and just relocating UTMB there or Roundrock. they have the money, but it's just not worth the $700 million to rebuild on the island. all those plans for the RAHC may be expedited now as well...

That would defnitiely boost UTMB's enrollment. Probably the coolest Texas town to enjoy med school. Also would limit clinical cases sent to Temple, possibly limiting their exposure to trauma and big cases.

Hope KY is treating you well.

one of my closest friends is at utmb for gas, and he says they basically shipped all the residents across texas to other gas programs. i doubt that they'd cut residents though b/c residents provide a workload plus money from the government. he also told me that the ICU is opening back up soon, and that they're going to head back there soon.

in anycase, a med school in austin would be the shizzlenet!

UTMB is interviewing for 2009, but if their residents are shipped across texas, what does that mean? Anybody know the status of their program? Is it still considered a strong program? Anything left in Galveston?

a classmate from my school is now a pgy-1 in int-med at utmb, and she said their program isn't going to austin or anything of the sort. now, if that means just im or what i dunno. i've had friends get interviews there for ob/gyn and ortho there so i would hope they keep their anesthesia program there, too, but who knows.