Utmb

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pathmeister

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this topic has been discussed before on this forum, but I was wondering if anyone has any recent insight into the strength of the AP\CP program at UTMB. There was talk about a shortage of surg accessions and faculty who left after hurricane IKE, but I wonder how much of this has been resolved. Any comments about the strength of the program, pros/cons?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I would have to say that UTMB is a solid program with decent numbers and good overall teaching faculty. It is a small enough program that you get good one on one scope time with faculty. I am not sure the exact number of accession now but last time I checked with someone there about 6 months ago, they were close to their pre-Ike numbers. Overall you get to see a good diversity of cases and some very unusual stuff from the Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ) system who are treated there. You will not have a hard time getting your autopsy numbers there either. The CP is also solid in most areas. Good opportunities to do research if you want and they typically support involvement in the CAP's Residents Forum. It is worth an interview if you are planning to visit the other Houston area Path programs.

Pathguy11

I was impressed during my interview there. I asked some tough questions about the hurricane situation, and they had solid answers for the plan they used last time and would use again if necessary. The faculty seemed positive and interested in teaching, and students and staff alike were very happy. Numbers were also good - like Pathguy says, almost back to what they had before (at least, that's what they're reporting). They bumped up several spots on my list after the interview.