UToledo Medstart Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Will I get in

• Yes

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • No

Votes: 8 88.9%

• Total voters

wvumedboy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I plan on applying to the Medstart program and I want to know if I have a good chance:

cGpa: 3.65
sGpa: 3.54
SAT: 1600
African American Male
Non-Ohio resident
Recommendation from Orthopedic Surgeon
Work for a Human Performance Lab and Orthopedic Surgeon office

I know my SAT scores are low because quite frankly I'm not a good standardized test taker and my academic effort has vastly improved since taking the SAT my junior year of high school

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying as well, I currently am a student at UT, current statistics as such.

cGpa: 3.79
sGpa: 3.89
ACT: 26
White Male, Ohio resident, first gen college student, applying as disadvantaged.
Multiple ER physician recommendations
Extensive experience as a medical scribe (roughly 2000 hours at this time) with various other EC to be noted.

As far as chances go, last year was a bad year for acceptances with the lowest acceptance rate that UT has had since starting the program. With that being said, hopefully something has changed from the past year till now opening up greater seat allotment. I know of various students who applied with qualified applications who did not receive interviews, hopefully something sets you or I apart!

With that being said, I hope all goes well for you and would love to keep updated!

Did you just apply in October of 2016?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying as well, I currently am a student at UT, current statistics as such.

I go to UT too. Have similar GPA and ACT but not the magnitude of clinical exposure. Last years numbers looked brutal, I'm currently a sophomore, choosing not to a apply personally. Although with your stats I think you have a great shot.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I applied in October with the following stats:
cGpa: 3.68
sGpa: 3.65
ACT:27
Major in Kinesiology
2 Minors
Honors College
Multiple Honors Societies
Big ten athlete
Caucasian/American Indian Male
Non-Ohio resident ?(Monroe county Michigan)
Recommendation from Local Pediatrician
Volunteered/Shadowed at Hospital and pediatrician office

Im hoping my experiences and extracurriculars help with my low scores. What do you guys think?

Has anyone gotten a email about interviews yet

I applied in October with the following stats:
cGpa: 3.68
sGpa: 3.65
ACT:27
Major in Kinesiology
2 Minors
Honors College
Multiple Honors Societies
Big ten athlete
Caucasian/American Indian Male
Non-Ohio resident ?(Monroe county Michigan)
Recommendation from Local Pediatrician
Volunteered/Shadowed at Hospital and pediatrician office

Im hoping my experiences and extracurriculars help with my low scores. What do you guys think?

Has anyone gotten a email about interviews yet

I too am from Monroe County, if you are from Monroe County you pay in state tuition. http://www.utoledo.edu/offices/registrar/residency/MichiganReciprocity.html But I do not believe you are considered an an Ohio resident, so your post is correct. However, to be sure you could always make a phone call to the university as I am not 100% sure.

Good luck with applying!

On average, how many applied, how many interviewed and how many acceptance? Is MedStart the only early assurance program in junir year? Most early assurance programs are in sophomore year.

I also applied this past October. In last email received from UT they said interview invites would be sent out in January, however when I emailed a follow-up question, I was told invites would be extended in February. Has anyone heard anything else?

Has anyone heard back yet about interviews? I applied this year and haven't heard anything even though they said they'd be extended in February. I expected it to come at the start of the month.