UToledo MEDStart Program Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

theNDhopeful44

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone! I'll be applying for the University of Toledo's MEDStart program this year, and I was wondering if anyone familiar with the program wouldn't mind chancing a newbie.

I'm an Ohio resident and I'm at Tufts University majoring in clinical psychology.
GPA: 3.75
SGPA: 3.67
ACT: 31 superscored
Lots of EC, very balanced between medical and non-medical activities

Thanks for your opinions!
 
Hey! I got accepted just this past cycle to the medstart program. 62 people applied and 22 were accepted. The average gpa was a 3.84, and the average ACT was a 30. So your stats are pretty close to the average. With a good resume and interviewing skills I think you have a shot!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i just finished my first year of undergrad., but i'm classified as a junior now (i have 62 credits). am i still eligible to apply to Medstart? if so, do you think i'm a competitive applicant?
sGPA: 4.00
GPA: 3.89
ACT: 29
SAT: 2020 (math: 600, writing: 730, reading: 690)
should i submit ACT, SAT, or both?
 
i just finished my first year of undergrad., but i'm classified as a junior now (i have 62 credits). am i still eligible to apply to Medstart? if so, do you think i'm a competitive applicant?
sGPA: 4.00
GPA: 3.89
ACT: 29
SAT: 2020 (math: 600, writing: 730, reading: 690)
should i submit ACT, SAT, or both?[/QUOTE
You can only apply to medstart the year before you would normally apply to medical school. If your undergrad program is a 4 year program, you can not apply until your third year. It is not based on credits.
 

Ok, thanks. I'm graduating May 2016, so I guess I'm eligible. Do you think they look down on students graduating early (3 years)?
 
Make sure to choose your words carefully on the essays. They are all very short! I also think that a very personal essay is best. I believe they interviewed about half of the students that applied and then accepted about half of those who interviewed.