UTSCSA tooth collection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glme

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I hear incoming students of other schools starting to collect teeth. But I have not heard from my school (UTSCSA) about it, so I contacted them and they said it's good to start early if I want to.

Why is it that UTSCSA is not as clear about this requirement as other schools? Is it because it's not really a requirement here? Is there enough to go around from the UTHSCSA dental clinic?

I am asking to hear the student perspective apart from the administration.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey! DS1 from UTHSCSA here. So I felt the same way. Some people get TONS of teeth and everyone is helpful if you don’t have particular teeth for particular projects. You do not need to stress over it honestly! But, if you get the chance go to whomever dentist you know and ask if they can collect teeth. Most dentists are helpful that way! Any other questions just ask! Congratulations for getting in btw!

Hey! DS1 from UTHSCSA here. So I felt the same way. Some people get TONS of teeth and everyone is helpful if you don’t have particular teeth for particular projects. You do not need to stress over it honestly! But, if you get the chance go to whomever dentist you know and ask if they can collect teeth. Most dentists are helpful that way! Any other questions just ask! Congratulations for getting in btw!

Hey thanks so much for your help! I inquired a faculty at the school about how many to collect and how to store them, but got a reply only saying "I would ask oral surgeons to collect all teeth they extract. As for solution, I don’t have that information. I do know it is addressed in the Dental anatomy course when you first start the DS1 year."

Would collecting about 100 teeth in a 10% bleach solution the way to do it? Also, do you store them in the solution for about two weeks, wash them with tap water and then keep it dry? What is uthscsa's protocol?

Just one another question if you don't mind: I plan on living in Broadstone on Medical or San Antonio Station and just walking to classes. Would you say that the area is safe enough to walk/bike?

Thanks so much for your help!!

Members don't see this ad :)
You don’t want to keep them dry. Store them in 1:10 bleach solution for about a week, rinse them, then store them in saline or formalin. I don’t know about your school specifically but I think 100 teeth would be plenty. I would also check with periodontists too if you can.

You don’t want to keep them dry. Store them in 1:10 bleach solution for about a week, rinse them, then store them in saline or formalin. I don’t know about your school specifically but I think 100 teeth would be plenty. I would also check with periodontists too if you can.

Thank you very much!!

Reactions: 1 user
I didnt collect any teeth before, during or after pre-clin. There is an overabundance of teeth that you can use, mostly in the endo section DS2 year.