docmd2010

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2005
Status
Can anyone confirm this? It seems weird to me that texas has an osteopathic school and their program doesn't have any do's. any thoughts?

BlackNDecker

Paid da cost 2 be da bo$$
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2005
Pole Position
www.swolehead.com
Status
UTSW is unfriendly whether you're allopathic or osteopathic. You will be broken down and remolded into a great physician. Emphasis on broken.;)

Dallas is a kick @$$ town though...personally recommend skipping the pre-interview dinner and partying downtown.

Danbo1957

10+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2008
Austin, Texas
Status
Attending Physician
Agree with the above reply, except that I would go to the pre-interview dinner. Really, DO's apply elsewhere...

About the Ads

viostorm

10+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2005
Status
Medical Student
Agree with the above reply, except that I would go to the pre-interview dinner. Really, DO's apply elsewhere...
There were some DO's at my interview ... but maybe they don't get ranked highly.

BlackNDecker

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2005
Pole Position
www.swolehead.com
Status
Buy your own dinner...and while your at it, chat up some Dallas hotties. I didn't attend a single interview dinner, just went out and partied in each city...Dallas by far was the easiest place to mingle if you're single.

drfunktacular

ANA ≠ SLE
10+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Dallas is a kick @$$ town though...personally recommend skipping the pre-interview dinner and partying downtown.
UTSW pre-interview dinner involved party-ish vibe, delicious Mexican food at Mattito's, copious free EtOH, and some groups went out in Dallas after enjoying their free dinner and drinks. You should go to the dinner.

BlackNDecker

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2005
Pole Position
www.swolehead.com
Status
drfunktacular said:
You should go to the dinner.
My night out involved multiple bars, hanging out with "real" people who weren't in the medical profession, copious EtOH, and caught a ride back to my hotel ;)

Skipping the dinner was my personal recommendation based on n=1 experience. Your results may vary.

Skipping dinner will NOT hurt your chances of attending a program. UTSW sent a letter in the mail couple weeks later stating something to the effect of: "highly sought after," "if interested in a second look" etc. Can't remember exactly what the letter stated as it was over a year ago and didn't give the letter much thought.

Last edited:

jdh71

Grim Optimist.
10+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2006
Last House on the Block, USA
Status
Attending Physician
Buy your own dinner...and while your at it, chat up some Dallas hotties. I didn't attend a single interview dinner, just went out and partied in each city...Dallas by far was the easiest place to mingle if you're single.
Yeah, but there is a slight chance you might be a douche-bag :smuggrin:

We'd need a DNA specimen to know for sure

BlackNDecker

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2005
Pole Position
www.swolehead.com
Status
Yeah, but there is a slight chance you might be a douche-bag :smuggrin:
Jdh71's personal stats:
4,903 posts/730 days = 7 posts per day, every single day of the year.

It's no wonder you don't hang out with non-medicine people...

jdh71 said:
We'd need a DNA specimen to know for sure
But if you really want my DNA, I'm sure you could scrape it off your wife's side of the headboard.;)

jdh71

Grim Optimist.
10+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2006
Last House on the Block, USA
Status
Attending Physician
Jdh71's personal stats:
4,903 posts/730 days = 7 posts per day, every single day of the year.

It's no wonder you don't hang out with non-medicine people...

But if you really want my DNA, I'm sure you could scrape it off your wife's side of the headboard.;)
Case closed.

It appears we have enough for a clinical diagnosis even without the DNA.

BlackNDecker

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2005
Pole Position
www.swolehead.com
Status
Case closed.

It appears we have enough for a clinical diagnosis even without the DNA.
All in jest...

Hope you have a merry christmas.

Faizankhan

10+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2007
Status
Medical Student
There were some DO's at my interview ... but maybe they don't get ranked highly.
Hey viostorm, did you see any FMGs when you went for the Interview at UTSW? I heard they do take 2 or 3 FMGs every year for IM program.

About the Ads